[LCCH] Massachusetts housing

Noah@Noble Home

Apr 26, 2010, 11:18:01 AM4/26/10
to low-cost-comm...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've been trying to follow some of these great discussions. I wanted to let people know that the Valley Community Land Trust, based in Franklin County, Massachusetts, is currently looking for land to build some sort of eco-village/community and I have been in contact with them about supplying some of my easy-to-build kit homes for their affordable housing. This is an interesting group, their website is: http://www.vclt.org/. You could contact Megan at mcdonou...@gmail.com for more information.

Noah
Noble Home

Marganne Meyer

May 5, 2010, 4:50:45 AM5/5/10
to low-cost-comm...@googlegroups.com
I'll be interested in hearing your experience with this group. It would be wonderful to hear that more people developing cohousing projects were open to including smaller, kit homes. So far the tendency I've seen is people shy away from these kinds of homes. First, the bank wants to know there is resale value. Second, project residents are concerned that letting smaller, less expensive homes be built next to their own homes would 'hurt their investment'. I'll be happy to hear about cohousers who are more into actually living in their community and homes rather than think of them as long-term investments.

Sometimes projects like you describe work with local government to make 'affordable' homes available to low-income families. It tends to lead to lots of red tape and less flexibility than is afforded to most cohousing projects. I hope this trend will change in time also.

Good luck!

Marganne