[LCCH] Community Land Trust info

Marganne Meyer

May 17, 2010, 4:55:52 AM5/17/10
to low-cost-comm...@googlegroups.com
The Community Land Trust Reader
see http://j.mp/cJZrpy

( which goes to:
http://www.lincolninst.edu/pubs/1776_New-Book-Announcement--The-Community-Land-Trust-Reader
)

Community Land Trusts (CLT) have been discussed on Cohousing-L
from time to time.

But things have changed. One of the main problems with CLT's is that
since CLT's are few in number in the US, moving from one to another
can be difficult. This may result in having to go back into the
regular housing market where housing prices may have inflated leaving
one's equity short since CLTs limit price inflation. But the housing
market meltdown has clearly shown that planning on housing inflation
can be problematic too.

Another comment, which includes some of the things we've talked about
on this list:
Using a CLT or any other limited equity (e.g. LE coop) model requires
disconnecting from the notion that housing, in addition to providing
a home, should also be treated as an investment necessary for one's
financial future or that of one's heirs. That goes against the grain
of our "privatize everything" social order, and making the opposite
ethos widespread will require a larger transformation, but it can
work to some degree in relatively small numbers. For those who have a
decent income, the lower monthly cost can make possible other savings
that can be invested for retirement, education, etc. For truly low
income people, a limited equity development may well make possible
home ownership that would otherwise be out of reach altogether. In
exchange, they (and other participants) forgo the slim possibility
that a new housing bubble might "enrich" them. I personally find that
tradeoff attractive. One of the ways our ruling elite keeps us from
rebelling is
by perpetuating the myth that anyone with the right combination of
luck and smarts can get rich. Sure, a few can, but the system is
built on exploitation of most of us and impoverishment of far too
many.