Marina is coming out with a new album and touring

Douglas Alan

Feb 25, 2019, 1:23:15 PM2/25/19
to love-...@googlegroups.com
If there are any Marina & the Diamonds fans on the list, Marina has changed her name to "Marina". I.e., she's no longer "Marina & the Diamonds".

Also, she recently announced her new album. She's making a double-album! It's all the rage amongst female art-rockers. (Or at least amongst her and Kate....) It's called "Love + Fear". (Only the word "Fear" is upside down.)

https://twitter.com/MarinaDiamandis/status/1096091767223525376

She's also going to be touring this year. Tickets are already on sale. Get yours before they're gone. Apparently, her popularity has been steadily increasing since the venues she's playing this time that I'm familiar with are much bigger than the venues she played for her previous album.

Also, she has a very cool "vertical video" out for the first song from the upcoming album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohtaZBlS0bE

|>oug

pDale

Mar 3, 2019, 4:27:52 PM3/3/19
to Katians
I'll confess my ignorance... What's with the wigs?

pDale Campbell

Douglas Alan

Mar 3, 2019, 11:12:27 PM3/3/19
to love-...@googlegroups.com
What wigs would that be?

|>oug

pDale

Mar 4, 2019, 12:00:59 AM3/4/19
to Katians
In the Twitter feed there are multiple wig memes.

--
Thanks,
pDale Campbell

Douglas Alan

Mar 4, 2019, 12:46:46 PM3/4/19
to love-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 12:01 AM pDale <pda...@gmail.com> wrote:
In the Twitter feed there are multiple wig memes.

Oh, by fans. I see. I don't usually read the fan replies.

I'm not sure. When she toured for her album "Electra Heart" (her second album), she wanted to be blonde because the album is a concept album, and being blonde went along with the concept. But the hairdresser who bleached her hair, ruined it, and a lot of her hair fell out. So she had to wear a wig. For much of the tour, she wore a blonde wig with prominent black roots. This was part of the album concept.

When she came back for a second leg of the tour, her hair had grown back enough that she went back to her natural brunette hair. (Performing in a wig was probably a pain in the butt. I.e., hot.) I made two video bootlegs of this concert tour, both in Philly. In one of them she has blonde hair with black roots (i.e., the wig), and in the other she's brunette (i.e., no wig):

Blonde:

Brunette:

Check out the 60 second intro I did for the second video. It took me like a full week's worth of work for that 60 seconds. For that concert, I also croud-sourced in video from clips that people had posted to YouTube of that very same concert. Boy that was a lot of work! I had to learn Final Cut Pro X in order to make this second video, and just learning that was a huge effort.

The first bootleg, I just slapped together with iMovie. But even that was a fair amount of work because I was missing part of one song, so I had to try to seamlessly paste in video from when I saw her in NYC the following day.

In any case, I don't know if there is more to the wig story. Maybe it's just become a running joke all this time. I haven't followed recent interviews with her. Maybe she's wearing a wig in one of the videos? Or maybe interviewers are still fascinated by her wig story from her Lonely Hearts Club tour. Also, in her first video from Electra Heart, she cuts her own hair in the video, and all her fans were up in arms, but it turned out that it was just a wig, much to the relief of her fans. Except that then her hair fell out anyway....

If you figure out more, let me know!