Grad student in counseling program getting into the work of Wilhelm Reich and Alexander Lowen

Jane Subsinsky

Mar 16, 2021, 12:13:57 PM3/16/21
to Love-Hounds
Just seeing if there are any other Kate Bush fans who have felt drawn to the work of Wilhelm Reich (Re: Cloudbusting inspiration. Father of Peter Reich author of Book of Dreams). I remember reading Book of Dreams in 2014, and discovering Reich's theory regarding the energetic body and plumages / regalia of the body as energetic antennae we use to relate to others in our emotional field.

I am now getting into the work of Reich's student and analysand Alexander Lowen and his concept of bioenergetics. It seems to me the most compelling of Reich's research subjects is his theory of body armoring, as body tension is something I particular want to work with being interested in authentic movement and dance movement therapy. I just wanted to start this thread for anybody in 2021 ruminating on the whole organon / energy economics topic, and would be happy to share more of what I find later.

I'd also absolutely love to connect with any therapists who are in this community, and hear from you some of your hot takes on Reich or Lowen, anybody you're into.

Cheers everyone. x

David Wagner

Mar 21, 2023, 12:53:17 PM3/21/23
to love-...@googlegroups.com
My fleeting interest in Wilhelm Reich actually didn't come from Cloudbusting but from the passing reference in Dylan's song Hurricane about Hurricane Carter reading Nietzsche and Wilhelm Reich in prison. That led me down a rabbit hole a bit and I read something by Reich, maybe The Mass Psychology of Fascism, not sure, it was 40 years ago, but that seems likely what my local library had and before online shopping what the local library had was a prime driver of what got read. I also read a good biography of Reuben 'Hurricane' Carter that didn't actually indicate anything about him reading anything in particular in prison so probably that was just Dylan filling in the blanks and making a good lyric.

I probably got more out of the Carter bio than out of Reich. Psychology is fascinating but maybe a bit beyond me. I'm not quite down at the level of just Mr. Men books of course. Anyone with a brain should be interested in how a brain works after all, just like anyone with a car should be interested in how a carburetor works, but not everyone should take their carburetor or their brain apart!

Hope you did hear from other therapists though. There's a lot of subtext in Kate Bush's works that can be explored, some of it probably not even consciously done on her part.

8>/
David W