RE: Senge's 3-legged stool diagram

Sheila Damodaran

Feb 5, 2009, 3:55:17 AM2/5/09
to Michael Fong, AsianLearningOrgani...@yahoogroups.com, Botsw...@yahoogroups.com, Ind...@yahoogroups.com, LO...@yahoogroups.com, Sheila...@globalsol.ning.com, lopnv...@googlegroups.com

Dear Michael,

One thing I've learned is one cannot teach the results of using the disciplines nor merely 'show the answers' - Law #2 has a way of kicking in naturally, yes even in the Economic Doom.  That's the (or lack of) disciplines playing up! Notice Peter is not doing much more or less than before.  Just maintaining the persistence in applying the dose (remember DIL and the two drops?)

That's why I've preferred during 'peace-time' to share the language and the tools such that it becomes more 'deeply ingrained' (and this is a practice over time) so that during 'war-times' these become reflexes that would naturally kick-in by themselves so that the "seeing becomes easier".

Also, it is not just about one discipline: Systems Thinking.  One cannot "see the system" without being disciplined in '"seeing our (one's) own frames".  The latter can only be done by the person oneself.  Unless the two disciplines, go hand-in-hand, the "realization" does not quite 'really happen'.

Pumping the money in bailouts is merely a 'glaring' reflex that we have also carried out all the time except it was done earlier with greater subtle-ness as we bought and sold shares on the stock exchanges of the world (as organizations hyped about themselves just to be able to wean the shareholders' money except it was hard to make hese out among the veils of 'effecacy' and wanting to be the "world-class").  The bailout (its 'the mother wanting to bail the son out') reflects that behaviour now manifesting itself except with a bigger stroke of the same hand.  The hand has not changed its stroke because the thinking influencing the hand (either being disciplined with our mental models or our visions) has not changed until we could (as Peter says) "stop and see our thinking".

Rather than, believing that the companies will learn to pick themselves up by themselves.  And if companies did not learn to do that, and kept relying on (StB) on 'bailout, buyouts, selling shares for ROI') then, they are not worthy of commanding the time and effort of so many others with them.  Till as community we do not hold this frame, the economic boom and dooms would be the order of the day as long as 'mummy or nannuy' is around!

Somehow I always come back to the issue of the gender and how much I feel so much of what is happening in the world, is guided more so by feminine rather than masculine traits (talking about leverage).  So much for empowering our women, huh!?

Interestingly I do not see European and African nations wanting to do as much bailouts as perhaps the US and maybe parts of Asia.  That's interesting to see.

About the 3-legged stool, in the Fieldbook, yes, it does not reference the five dsiciplines.  But that's where the 3-legs first began to grow as an idea and Peter made subtle references to the disciplines within the write-up.  It is Daniel who plugges the five disciplines against the 3 legs in his article on the Systems Thinker (a publication of Pegasus Communications).  It was myself who then applied the 3-legs and the five disciplines against the structural tension model (the latter by Fritz).

I found your line of questioning helpful and perhaps something the community may reflect on too.  I have copied this to the networks.

Warmly
Sheila Damodaran
Email: dm...@pacific.net.sg
Singapore:  +65-94790526
Botswana:  +267-74780886
LOPN Homepage: http://www.lopn.net

Quoting Michael Fong <mic...@actuatedassociates.com>:

> Hi Sheila
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
>
> I found a section named The Architecture of Learning Organizations on pg 21
> of the fieldbook.  But it doesn't discuss the how the 5 disciplines form the
> legs of the stool :-(
>
> The crisis continues to get more out of hand.  There's impatience to reach
> the worst point so that the economy recovers.  My impatience comes from
> impotence :-)  - I don't know where the leverage is and what the cure is.  I
> have a sense of helplessness as I'm being carried by the currents.  Can't
> the SoL/Senge advise, say the World Economic Forum, EU, ASEAN, etc, on what
> the leaders should do?  Is pumping in billions of $ into failed companies or
> into battered economies the right way out?  Are systems thinkers showing the
> way?  Is anyone listening?
>

> Best regards -- michael.
>
> Director    m: 9674 3236
> actuated associates pte ltd    co reg no: 200409064Z
> 111 north bridge road  #27-01    singapore  179098
> www.actuatedassociates.com    t: 6497 5258
>
> conversations    authenticity
> individuals         personal mastery
> projects             planning and management
> teams                development and cohesion
> thinking             systems and skills
>
>   _____

Sheila Damodaran

Mar 15, 2009, 12:47:45 PM3/15/09