LO Review - LOPN Vietnam

1 view

Nguyen Tuan Anh

Dec 9, 2008, 3:15:40 AM12/9/08
to LOPN Vietnam
Dear Friends,

Our Learning Organization review was last week interesting to us.  Personally, it has been a good experience in team learning for me when we explored the case study that anh Thanh had brought from a conflict at his workplace.

The story starts with 3 people (temporarily called A, B , and C). A is the head officer while B is a vice head and C is the senior officer. The conflict seems to be burst between B & C as A is on her overseas business and pass the temporary authority to B. C could not manage well his tasks and feel over-loaded with many deadlines behind. B complains C on his work deterrence and incomptence in the revelant field on which C was not well trained at the first place.  The A tried to solve the conflict and it seemed not working well till C decided to work in the other office branch.

The story seems to open up different archetypes interplaying as far as we explored the other parts of the story. We have found the archetypes of Success to the Successful, Escalation, Shifting the burden and Fix that backfires in different parts of the stories. And we have found it struggled to bring them all together into a systemic structure. Somewhere in the discussion, I feel the work of "The Onion" can be helpful at work. (So I wonder if Sheila can share its details to the group).

How about you?  what can you see and explore from the above story through the eyes of systems thinking?

The other part of the review is to track back to the work and role of the uncle in working on the system.

At the end of the review, we agreed to get together once a month for the Learning Organization Review as well as to share the learning and experience around.

Thank you Ngan for setting up all the facilitites and Thao and Thanh for actively involving into the exploration and having fun!

We post up all the information regarding LO work and LOPN Vietnam on the following website. As you feel interested, please feel free to sign up:

Should there be any comments, please feel free to share here!

Warmly,

Sheila Damodaran

Dec 9, 2008, 11:15:19 PM12/9/08
to lopnv...@googlegroups.com, AsianLearningOrgani...@yahoogroups.com, Botsw...@yahoogroups.com, Ind...@yahoogroups.com, LO...@yahoogroups.com, Sheila...@globalsol.ning.com, lopnv...@googlegroups.com

Dear Tuan Anh,

This is really nice sharing your and the group's learnings here.  It really felt that I was there too.  That felt nice.

A few tips to think about:

  • Most times where individuals are more in direct (as opposed to indirectly through problems) with each other, then we can expect some of the following archetypes to be present, i.e.:
  • Success to the Successful
  • Escalation
  • Accidental Adversaries. Notice these form either ends of the Onion.

http://www.lopn.net/System_Archetypes.html

Link on the onion: http://www.lopn.net/The_Onion.html

  • Of course, without saying when the archetypes involving individuals grow (like StS or Esc), it is a matter of time that results around the performance around their work begins to decline (LtS, G&U, DG, FtB, StB and ToC).  These begin to take shape in our monthly performance targets, KPIs and eventually company performance trend lines.
  • At the root, however are BL (balancing loops).  These are 'goals' our 'desires/intents/hopes' individuals carry or thrust on others at the risk of not sharing or helping others understand why those goals are important systemically or would help smoothen the interrelations in the system if we learned what they were and determine the 'order' and 'time' needed for these goals to grow and 'interrelate' to other goals within 'the system'.

So a trick going forward:

  • Help each other to walk 'backwards' on the onion.  What 'Balancing Loops' (What goals do they individually hold?) do individuals in that story (don't forget A (StS is caused by A), B and C) hold for themselves and for each other?  Also remember there are persons A, B and C, including customers.  What are their goals?
  • Do they talk about what these hopes are for themselves and the impact these (goals) have on each other (including, hoping that the job may meet other personal aspirations in their lives)?
  • Talk also, should these conversations go unsaid, what kinds of consequences can we expect to see happen or grow for the team, organization and eventually how does it come back to affect them? [Remember Systems Thinking is to "see" these circles of causality and the process of change over time and space]
  • Where would the story go?
  • What parts of the story is desired and what is not?
  • What impact would they have on the future of the team and/or organization?

As those conversations unfold, it helps individuals to reflect if 'holding on' to those goals, serves themselves (and others) eventually?  And what may need to change or needs to happen first so that all goals may be met?

When organizations do not have these conversations early in its life, events happen that lead the necessity for such conversations to happen in our lives eventually?

This is really nice work.  Thanks Tuan Anh for writing it down.

What questions does this open up for you and all?

Hope all are well.

Warmly
Sheila Damodaran
Singapore:  +65-94790526
LOPN Homepage: http://www.lopn.net
My Homepage: http://www.loatwork.com/aboutme.html

tuanan...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2008, 2:31:19 AM12/23/08
to Learning Organization Practitioners' Network Vietnam
Dear Sheila,

That's thoughtful. And thank you for this sharing.

yes it is quite crucial to pay attention to different goals in the
system. Is it how the BL stays at the core of the onion and the
ignorance may open up different other archetypes at play over time and
space?

How are you doing there in Bostwana?

Thanks for the nice sharing, Sheila!

TA