Fertilization

lopho-student

Jul 18, 2008, 3:53:00 AM7/18/08
to LOPHOPHORA
how do you fertilize your cacti? Do you use any special kinds of
fertilizer like for example stick or phosphorus?
How much and how often do you give any fertilizers? Any do seasons
take into account?

Hope to get some information about it..

Lophophora Blog

Jul 29, 2008, 2:52:19 PM7/29/08
to lopho...@googlegroups.com
During the winter months I keep my plants dormant, i.e. I'm not
fertilizing the plants at all during this period and only supply them
with very minimal amounts of water.

When the plants are in active growth I fertilize quite often (with
every second or so watering) with a fairly diluted fertilizer solution
(1/3 - 1/2 of the strength recommended on the package). When I started
growing cacti I just used plain, all purpose fertilizer; then I
switched to a product formulated specifically for cactus, and now I'm
using Miracle-Gro Tomato Plant Food (NPK formulation: 18-18-21) which
seems to keep my plants happy - I don't think the NPK formulation
matters too much as long as you keep the nitrogen (N) fraction pretty
low.

I give my plants a thorough shower several times during the growing
season - both to control spider mites but also to wash out excess
fertilizer salts. Once in a while I also give the plants a shot of
algae extract, bought from Uhlig Kakteen. They say it contains 70
trace elements, vitamins, hormones, enzymes, amino acid and proteins.

Well, that's my 5 cents on the topic of fertilizing - I hope you can
use it as a starting point for experimenting with your own fertilizing
regime.