what happens if the cactus is rot ?

><

Jun 10, 2009, 1:35:30 PM6/10/09
to LOPHOPHORA
I notice my cactus is a bit soft at the base of the botton in some
places. its also a bit yellow,orange,brown at that paces. what shall i
do in order not to loose it? please help.. thanks in advance

Eugene Vasin

Jun 10, 2009, 1:48:25 PM6/10/09
to lopho...@googlegroups.com
Immediatelly take it out, washe well with warm water and dry using a fan.
When it completely dried evaluate damage. Clip off all small roots involved
into decay, use sharp surgical spoon or something like that to remove all
yellowish/brown/soft/ tissue from root or plant. You need to do this very
accurately and until you reach absolutely clean tissue. If you think that
damage is too big to be repaired - craft lophophora on cereus pachanoi,
peruvianus, or trichocereus - depends of diameter of the plant.
Unfortunately, most often if you saw external signs of decay - the plant
already severely damaged.

All surfaces after surgery need to be powdered with sulfa powder and dry up
for several days till surface will get "glassy" texture and look.
Eugene

><

Jun 10, 2009, 2:48:45 PM6/10/09
to LOPHOPHORA
can you please send some pics of a cactus that is rot? I ll try send
some of mine too cause this day i took it out and the root seems fine
to me. Maybe I am in panic with no reason. At first when I repot it it
was ok. Then I think during last 4 months it got a bit taller and more
thin at tha base. the hair grew more but at the base the botton in
some places is soft and yellow.
> do in order not to loose it? please help.. thanks in advance- Απόκρυψη κειμένου σε παράθεση -
>
> - Εμφάνιση κειμένου σε παράθεση -

Eugene Vasin

Jun 10, 2009, 3:39:24 PM6/10/09
to lopho...@googlegroups.com
Praise the Lord I do not have rot plants!!!- so - sorry cannot help you with
pics. Please, email me yours - and we will try to work from that
Also - there is dry "rusty" rot, which leaves only small spot outside, but
does it rotten job inside root along the cambium ring, - this is worst
scenario