[loongson-dev] Need HOWTO on how to attach a serial port to lemote yeeloong

83 views
Skip to first unread message

Daniel Clark

unread,
May 7, 2010, 12:17:00 PM5/7/10
to Philippe Vachon, loongs...@googlegroups.com, rms / fsf sysadmin / fsf volunteers / lemote, Peter Olson, Dilinger
I thought I had pictures of the one Lemote sent the FSF and FSF then
sent to philv (I think), but I can't seem to find them, or other posts
I thought I'd seen on this; appologies if I'm just being blind.

We need to attach a serial port to a yeeloong to do linux debugging
(trying to track down a periodic hibernation bug rms is having).

Could someone point to / create / post the appropriate doc?

Specifically need to know where to solder inside the yeeloong, and
what pin of a DB9 the wires soldered inside the yeeloong go to.

Thanks,
--
Daniel JB Clark | http://pobox.com/~dclark | Activist; Owner
\|/
FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com
/|\
Free Software respecting hardware ~ Lemote Yeeloong reseller

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "loongson-dev" group.
To post to this group, send email to loongs...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to loongson-dev...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/loongson-dev?hl=en.

Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko

unread,
May 7, 2010, 4:35:30 PM5/7/10
to loongs...@googlegroups.com
> Thanks,
> --
> Daniel JB Clark | http://pobox.com/~dclark | Activist; Owner
> \|/
> FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com
> /|\
> Free Software respecting hardware ~ Lemote Yeeloong reseller
>
> =20


--=20
Regards
Vladimir '=CF=86-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko


signature.asc

Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko

unread,
May 7, 2010, 4:48:40 PM5/7/10
to loongs...@googlegroups.com
Daniel Clark wrote:
> I thought I had pictures of the one Lemote sent the FSF and FSF then
> sent to philv (I think), but I can't seem to find them, or other posts
> I thought I'd seen on this; appologies if I'm just being blind.
>
> We need to attach a serial port to a yeeloong to do linux debugging
> (trying to track down a periodic hibernation bug rms is having).
>
> Could someone point to / create / post the appropriate doc?
>
> Specifically need to know where to solder inside the yeeloong, and
> what pin of a DB9 the wires soldered inside the yeeloong go to.
>
>
Photos:
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases-noredirect/grub/phcoder/yeeloong-serial/

> Thanks,
> --
> Daniel JB Clark | http://pobox.com/~dclark | Activist; Owner
> \|/
> FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com
> /|\
> Free Software respecting hardware ~ Lemote Yeeloong reseller
>
>


--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko


signature.asc

Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko

unread,
May 7, 2010, 5:35:05 PM5/7/10
to loongs...@googlegroups.com
Daniel Clark wrote:
> I thought I had pictures of the one Lemote sent the FSF and FSF then
> sent to philv (I think), but I can't seem to find them, or other posts
> I thought I'd seen on this; appologies if I'm just being blind.
>
> We need to attach a serial port to a yeeloong to do linux debugging
> (trying to track down a periodic hibernation bug rms is having).
>
> Could someone point to / create / post the appropriate doc?
>
> Specifically need to know where to solder inside the yeeloong, and
> what pin of a DB9 the wires soldered inside the yeeloong go to.
>
>
Somehow my previous e-mail was corrupted. So I repeat myself:
J2 is a port near SD card reader, just under the latch below keyboard on
left hand side.
On it you can either solder J2 header or solder the wires directly. LEts
say that the pin nearest to SD card reader (leftmost) is a 1, middle one
is a 2, and rightmost is a 3. Then with standard DB9 pinout as described
here http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html or written on most
DB9 connectors solder:
1 - 3 (brown wire on photo)
2 - 5 (red)
3 - 2 (orange)
Photos at
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases-noredirect/grub/phcoder/yeeloong-serial/

> Thanks,
> --
> Daniel JB Clark | http://pobox.com/~dclark | Activist; Owner
> \|/
> FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com
> /|\
> Free Software respecting hardware ~ Lemote Yeeloong reseller
>
>


--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko


signature.asc

Daniel Clark

unread,
May 8, 2010, 2:49:52 PM5/8/10
to loongs...@googlegroups.com, Peter Olson, Dilinger
2010/5/7 Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <phc...@gmail.com>:
>
> J2 is a port near SD card reader, just under the latch below keyboard on
> left hand side.
>
> On it you can either solder J2 header or solder the wires directly. LEts
> say that the pin nearest to SD card reader (leftmost) is a 1, middle one
> is a 2, and rightmost is a 3. Then with standard DB9 pinout as described
> here http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html or written on most
> DB9 connectors solder:
>
> 1 - 3 (brown wire on photo)
> 2 - 5 (red)
> 3 - 2 (orange)
>
> Photos at
> http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases-noredirect/grub/phcoder/yeeloong-serial/

Thanks a lot! That's actually much easier than I was thinking. I'm
going to see if I can make / have made a bunch of cables that go from
J2 to the same mini-plug the fuloongs have externally, and then
position that mini-plug somewhere permanent in the case and make a
hole in the yeeloong case somewhere, so in everyday use the serial can
be unobtrusive (and reuse the fuloong's DB9 adapter cables when it is
needed).

--
Daniel JB Clark | http://pobox.com/~dclark | Activist; Owner
\|/
FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com
/|\
Free Software respecting hardware ~ Lemote Yeeloong reseller

--
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages