propose mips32r2 for mips{,el} and mips64r2 for mips64el in Debian

YunQiang Su

Sep 4, 2015, 2:10:25 AM9/4/15
to debia...@lists.debian.org, loongson-dev
hi, folks,

As all of us may know that the current ISA used for mips{,el} in
Debian is MIPS II,
which is quite, quite old, and make all newer devices running in a slow speed.

As the step 0, we have already enable FPXX and no-odd-spreg in gcc-5 by default.
Build with FPXX and no-odd-spreg, the binary can compatible with both old mips2
architecture and the future FP64 architecture (aka, with 32 64-bit FPR)[1].

The next step, we will build gcc-5 with the default ISA with mips32r2/mips64r2.

Who will be effect:
1. Who use old machines, Loongson-2E/F included.
They will cannot use the new Debian release.
2. Who use new machines, Loongson-3, OcteonIII, CI20 etc included.
They will get better performance.
3. Who use Loongson-3.
They may meet some Loongson-3 bugs. for FPU.

[1].https://dmz-portal.mips.com/wiki/MIPS_O32_ABI_-_FR0_and_FR1_Interlinking

--
YunQiang Su

YunQiang Su

Sep 6, 2015, 11:38:58 AM9/6/15
to YunQiang Su, debia...@lists.debian.org, loongson-dev
On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Aurelien Jarno <aure...@aurel32.net> wrote:
> On 2015-09-04 14:10, YunQiang Su wrote:
>> hi, folks,
>>
>> As all of us may know that the current ISA used for mips{,el} in
>> Debian is MIPS II,
>> which is quite, quite old, and make all newer devices running in a slow speed.
>>
>> As the step 0, we have already enable FPXX and no-odd-spreg in gcc-5 by default.
>> Build with FPXX and no-odd-spreg, the binary can compatible with both old mips2
>> architecture and the future FP64 architecture (aka, with 32 64-bit FPR)[1].
>>
>> The next step, we will build gcc-5 with the default ISA with mips32r2/mips64r2.
>
> Please note that we should ensure that people can upgrade from jessie to
> stretch. It means that libraries from jessie (this targetting the MIPS
> II ISA) should be able to work with libraries from stretch. In turn it
> means we can switch the ISA to MIPS64R2, but we should still keep using
> FPXX for stretch, and switch to FP64 just after.

Yes, we will make stretch FPXX+MIPS32r2, which is compatible with
current MIPS II + FR=0.

FP64 is a long future story. we are not plan yet.

--
YunQiang Su

Sam Geeraerts

Sep 10, 2015, 3:43:39 PM9/10/15
to loongs...@googlegroups.com, debia...@lists.debian.org
Op Sun, 6 Sep 2015 23:38:57 +0800
schreef YunQiang Su <wzs...@gmail.com>:

> Yes, we will make stretch FPXX+MIPS32r2, which is compatible with
> current MIPS II + FR=0.

So does that mean that Stretch is the last release that will work on the
Lemote Yeeloong?

YunQiang Su

Sep 10, 2015, 3:49:03 PM9/10/15
to loongson-dev, debia...@lists.debian.org
No, jessie is.

In fact, Yeelong has 2F and 3A versions.
3A version will (mostly) work.

> --

YunQiang Su