2 rooms available in co-op in SF Mission! $850

Christopher Dembia

Feb 15, 2021, 8:38:34 PM2/15/21
to looking-f...@googlegroups.com
Kaleidoscope is a 6-9 person co-op located on Mission St between the 16th and 24th St BART stations, with 7 bedrooms. We’re seeking new residents! If you’re interested in living with us, please fill out our form below and we’ll get back to you :)

===== TL;DR =====
Available: ASAP, but open to ppl who want to move in by early March
Deposit: $850
Rent: Varies between $850 and $1250 depending on room, with higher prices for couples.
Additional financial: about $180 per month for utilities + communal food, plus $50 for a home repair fund
Location: 6ish minute walk to Dolores Park, right off Mission St

===== Info on us =====
We buy most basic groceries collectively (veggies, eggs, flour, salt, oils, rice, milk, ice cream, etc.), but residents are on their own for other food (meat, ramen, chocolate, etc). We try to keep the house neat mostly by just cleaning up after ourselves as we go, but also have a group clean party every month to catch the messes and detail work that slips by.

Though the house has been a co-op for several years now, the current residents have recently taken over the lease after moving together from a different co-op; there's a lot of flexibility in house structure and culture right now. We're looking for someone excited to build up a house culture together!

The house is currently comprised of:
A, 25: A queer woman who loves long roadtrips, reading all sorts of books, knitting, sewing (lots of masks lately), and going on late night ice cream runs. Currently working as a data analyst at Stanford researching health and wildfire. N's partner.
C, 31: Recently finished his PhD and will bike to LA if you ask him to! Loves meeting new people and trying new things; also loves late night ice cream runs.
I, 25: Loves talking about politics and culture, being in the great outdoors, watching movies (he watches one every night)! Chief of Staff at a healthcare startup; lactose intolerant :(
J, 26: A fun fact machine and Stanford grad curently working with AI at Google. He's been loving quizbowl, insightful convos and late night ice cream runs during quarantine.
N, 27: A mechanical engineer who loves building lots of little projects around the house (currently working on a tiny electric go-kart for a friend's kid)! Loves sharing a meal (and also going on late night ice cream runs). A's partner.

We've been relatively conservative with COVID precautions - people in the house have been meeting up (outdoors and masked) with friends and sometimes going in to very sparsely populated offices. A and N occasionally stay the night with N's parents in Sonoma County (indoors but masked and distanced, with windows open and forced air flow in all shared rooms). Non-housemates have not been entering the space, aside from short house tours. We value transparency above having the exact same COVID risk tolerances, but would prefer someone who has been following the stay-at-home order fairly well and someone who is compatible with having a closed pod.

===== Info on the space =====
You can find a 3D model of the house here (my.matterport.com/models/fU7BjCUf7YU?section=media). We attached a few recent photos of the space (see the bottom of this form), which show that the space has changed a lot since the 3D model was created (new floors, totally painted, a full room added). Bedrooms 5 and 2 are open (see the bottom of this form), with some potential for shuffling with other rooms.

The apartment is the entire second floor above a market, and contains a huge common area with a kitchen, dining, office, and living spaces. There's also a cute reading nook. There are two full bathrooms that are shared among all residents, with a third shower.

Unfortunately the house is very much not wheelchair accessible - there's a full flight of stairs to enter the home.
Dogs welcome! We had a cat that just moved out, and there are serious cat allergies in the house.

===== What we're excited for =====
Someone interested in shedding the isolation of COVID and participating in intentionally cultivating an inviting space for all residents. People of all ages are welcome to apply!

If this seems like it could be a good fit, and you're excited about the idea of helping build a co-op, please contact us through the form above and we'll get back to you :)