OFFERED: Furnished room in South Berkeley co-op (SUBLET) | Sept 1 - Dec 31 | $980

Morgan M. - Johnsen

Jul 17, 2020, 10:50:43 PM7/17/20
to looking-for-housing in SF Bay Area

5 - milvia2.jpg

Hi there everyone,

A four-month sublet is opening up in our awesome South Berkeley Co-op.  We’ve been living in this fantastic house for almost two years now. Our housemate is visiting family for a few months, and opening up a cozy first-floor room to welcome someone new into our home community.

There are currently 10 other people in our home (so would be 11 total with a new housemate — or more if you’re a couple), including folks who work in clean energy, a labor organizer, and a bunch of other neat life paths. There is one dog in the house, plus a bunch of fish. We love animals, but unfortunately we can't take on new dogs or cats at this time.

Practical Stuff

Monthly Costs: roughly $980 rent* + utilities (average around $50/mo.) + collective food ($150 + $50 during shelter in place) + $45 one-time application fee (set by landlord)

Additional $250 for couples

Deposit: $1,462.50 (~1.5x rent — again, set by landlord)

Sublet Timeline: Starts August 30-September 1, lasts through at least December 31 (can be flexible with a few extra weeks in January)

House deets: Bathroom shared with one other housemate; plus an extra half-bath right next to it

5 steps up to the front door; unfortunately not wheel accessible.

9 bedroom + 3.5 bathroom house (3200 sq.ft)

Driveway; plenty of street parking; basement with storage space; washer/dryer; back deck; growing garden on side of house.

*Rent will likely change in September, since we’re re-negotiating the lease to (hopefully) decrease our rent, given how COVID-19 has affected the Berkeley housing market. Our goal is to have a renegotiated lease by August 1.

COVID-19 information

We are taking COVID-19 seriously — along with our need for social connection and political engagement — and are making decisions by consensus to design protocols that keep everyone safe. One person in our house is at a higher risk for severe COVID-19 illness. We are regularly reassessing the situation and best practices. It’s important to us that anyone who joins our co-op be willing to follow the preventative measures we all agree on.

There will be questions regarding COVID-19 in the application form. We've created a house tour video to share an inside look, before potentially setting up video interviews and finally discussing in-person meetings. We’ve also laid out move-in guidelines for new housemates. See more info in our application form!

So! If you're interested in co-operative living (think 5 shared meals/week, game nights, camping trips, house projects, and fun hangouts) with rad human beings who are warm, communicative, and tidy, please fill out our form: bit.ly/milviacoop

Rolling deadline, although we’ll review the first batch of candidates on July 20, so best to apply by then if you’re able.

Diverse perspectives, experiences, and identities make us stronger as individuals, a co-op, and a larger community. We strive to be an inclusive household. Folks who identify as POC, LGBTQIA+, indigenous, and/or immigrant background are encouraged to apply.

Couples encouraged to apply!

More photos available upon request! Can't seem to attach them here