Ping?

Jim G

Apr 18, 2012, 3:54:14 PM4/18/12
to Longleaf Bicycle Grove
Is this group still alive?

-Jim G

Steve Palincsar

Apr 18, 2012, 4:01:34 PM4/18/12
to longleaf-bi...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 12:54 -0700, Jim G wrote:
> Is this group still alive?

Well, your message came though OK. The purpose was to discuss the
transfer of the Kogswell P/R to Longleaf, but that seems to have fallen
by the wayside, sadly.

Ryan Watson

Apr 18, 2012, 4:12:23 PM4/18/12
to longleaf-bi...@googlegroups.com
I'm here!
Looking forward to my new 650B A23s. FYI Anthony sez they'll be the same ERD as the Aeroheads, which will be convenient.

Regards,
Ryan

On Apr 18, 2012, at 13:54, Jim G <yoj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this group still alive?
>
> -Jim G

Seth Vidal

Apr 18, 2012, 4:17:02 PM4/18/12
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Ryan Watson <rswa...@me.com> wrote:
> I'm here!
> Looking forward to my new 650B A23s. FYI Anthony sez they'll be the same ERD as the Aeroheads, which will be convenient.
>
> Regards,
> Ryan

I've been listening in here for a while. I'd love to see a
fairly-affordable 650b frame like the p/r again.

-sv

Longleaf Bicycles

Apr 18, 2012, 4:29:12 PM4/18/12
to longleaf-bi...@googlegroups.com
Ryan Watson <rswa...@me.com> wrote:
I'm here!
Looking forward to my new 650B A23s. FYI Anthony sez they'll be the same ERD as the Aeroheads, which will be convenient.

Not the exact same ERD, but they are within 1mm of each other, so spokes should transfer.

I don't have the 650B A23 in hand yet, but Velocity list the 700C Aerohead at 601 and the A23 at 602.

By the way, the A23's are being drilled now, then they get anodized and shipped to me. They say the end of the month. I fear they'll arrive on the same day my wife goes into labor.

Anthony

Ryan Watson

Apr 18, 2012, 4:25:35 PM4/18/12

On Apr 18, 2012, at 14:17, Seth Vidal <skv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been listening in here for a while. I'd love to see a
> fairly-affordable 650b frame like the p/r again.

Rawland rSogn! Even better, IMHO, and I do love my P/R.

Ryan

Steve Palincsar

Apr 18, 2012, 4:36:16 PM4/18/12
to longleaf-bi...@googlegroups.com

The Sogn's a bit too much like a MTB for my taste. Not the same thing
as the P/R at all.

Fred Blasdel

Apr 18, 2012, 4:54:04 PM4/18/12
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Steve Palincsar <pali...@his.com> wrote:

The Sogn's a bit too much like a MTB for my taste.

that manifests itself as a stupidly excessive amount of clearance at the chainstays, and I think the BB is a bit higher, but not much else

Not the same thing as the P/R at all.

a real problem with it is that the rSogn sizing was pretty epically dicked up — he managed to make two 58s, a 60, and a 62

also Sean makes MG look like a great communicator

jim g

Apr 18, 2012, 5:03:45 PM4/18/12
to longleaf-bi...@googlegroups.com
Box Dog just got a limited number of 650B Pelicans in stock in larger
frame sizes.

http://www.boxdogbikes.com/products-the-bdb-pelican/

I've heard another batch is on the way, likely with more/different sizes.

-Jim G

> --

jimg at yojimg dot net

Seth Vidal

Apr 18, 2012, 5:04:59 PM4/18/12
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM, jim g <ji...@yojimg.net> wrote:
> Box Dog just got a limited number of 650B Pelicans in stock in larger
> frame sizes.
>
> http://www.boxdogbikes.com/products-the-bdb-pelican/
>
> I've heard another batch is on the way, likely with more/different sizes.

I saw that - but their price is ratcheting up there - I liked the
price point of the P/Rs

-sv

Steve Palincsar

Apr 18, 2012, 5:20:46 PM4/18/12
On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 14:03 -0700, jim g wrote:
> Box Dog just got a limited number of 650B Pelicans in stock in larger
> frame sizes.
>
> http://www.boxdogbikes.com/products-the-bdb-pelican/
>
> I've heard another batch is on the way, likely with more/different sizes.

Only 650B up to 52cm, according to the geometry chart here
http://www.boxdogbikes.com/products-bdb-pelican-geometry/
Not exactly "large" size in my book (where "normal" == 59-60)

Ryan Watson

Apr 18, 2012, 5:26:30 PM4/18/12
to longleaf-bi...@googlegroups.com
My rSogn is set up with fat knobbies but I've ridden it with Hetres and it was truly wonderful. I would not hesitate to make a Randonneur out of it if anything ever happened to my Boulder.
LOL about the "two 58s"! The M and ML are definitely interchangeable.

jim g

Apr 18, 2012, 5:35:20 PM4/18/12
to longleaf-bi...@googlegroups.com

That page is out of date. The current batch has 54, 58, and 60cm sizes in 650B.

From http://gremln.com/UserPages/MessageView.aspx?mea=1578106

"650B Pelicans available in limited quantities. Batch includes
internal generator cable routing. Details to come. 54cm, 58cm, 60cm in
shop now. Still $1400 "

-Jim G

tarik saleh

Apr 18, 2012, 5:51:23 PM4/18/12
to longleaf-bi...@googlegroups.com
>> On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 14:03 -0700, jim g wrote:
>>> Box Dog just got a limited number of 650B Pelicans in stock in larger
>>> frame sizes.

I had a chance to check them out in person last week. The current
batch in all sizes are 650bx42 with fenders compatible, some trick
little generator lighting details, solid looking vert dropouts, lots
of braze ons, tigged frame and nicely crowned fork, made in US frame.
Nice color, middling finish on the powder and the decals, but
otherwise a real good looking bike.

The detractions in my mind are:
the lack of fork crown bosses for dumb big front racks, which is not
a big one for a R bike,
I hate hate hate hate threaded forks on new bikes, otherwise I think I
would have bought it on the spot.

I think that is a really good price for a US made bike.

Tarik

--
Tarik Saleh
tas at tariksaleh dot com

Fred Blasdel

Apr 18, 2012, 10:12:08 PM4/18/12
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 2:51 PM, tarik saleh <tarik...@gmail.com> wrote:

 the lack of fork crown bosses for dumb big front racks, which is not
a big one for a R bike,
I hate hate hate hate threaded forks on new bikes, otherwise I think I
would have bought it on the spot.

Very much in line with the whole Pelican thing, but fixing those two issues (I think)