reasonable or "insane"?

1 view

jaraymaker

Apr 27, 2024, 5:03:29 AMApr 27
to loner...@googlegroups.com

(pointing to an analysis of the choices Israel now faces) you'll find what I think is a very intelligent analysis of what decision-making and sound policies are or should be in view of today's geopolitical realites.  It could serve as an example illustrating the types of complicated, not to say incendiary dilemmas Lonergan's eight functional are or could help solve in the interest of peace for our threatened world.

Notice Friedman clearly  invokes the psychological-emotional aspects affecting human beings--communally and globally. His use of the  words "INSANITY", "revenge," "vicious" and "traumatized"  is remarkable.

Compare the below with the history of Nazism or with what Putin has been perpetrating in Ukraine and/or  with the choices with which the "free world" is now faced  seen that US presidential elections are looming. As Pierre and I write in our book "Lonergan's day has come!" but the question is: "how get the Lonerganian message across to e. g. the readers of major publications or broadcasters?" NOT easy 😢!!

I quote what Friedman writes in today's Nytimes:

"I appreciate how traumatized Israelis are by the vicious Hamas murders, rapes and kidnappings of Oct. 7. It is not surprising to me that many people there just want revenge, and their hearts have hardened to a degree that they can’t see or care about all of the civilians, including thousands of children, who have been killed in Gaza as Israel has plowed through to try to eliminate Hamas. All of this has been further hardened by Hamas’s refusal so far to release the remaining hostages.

But revenge is not a strategy. It is pure insanity that Israel is now more than six months into this war and the Israeli military leadership — and virtually the entire political class — has allowed Netanyahu to continue to pursue a “total victory” there, including probably soon plunging deep into Rafah, without any exit plan or Arab partner lined up to step in once the war ends. If Israel ends up with an indefinite occupation of both Gaza and the West Bank, it would be a toxic military, economic and moral overstretch that would delight Israel’s most dangerous foe, Iran, and repel all its allies in the West and the Arab world." End quote.     John