LeanStartup Customer interview version #2

Mark Levison

May 5, 2021, 5:29:02 PM5/5/21
to lonely-coaches-sodality
@ashmaurya

 recommends replacing background questions with asking about triggers.

The challenges I can't find good questions explore triggers. I like working from examples. Does anyone have pointers?

Lost in LeanStartup
Mark

Jon Kern

May 8, 2021, 8:04:01 AM5/8/21
to lonely-coac...@googlegroups.com
Not sure I have any specific pointers, Mark…

I tend to use the Value Proposition Canvas, Business Model Canvas, The Startup Owner’s Manual…

This article did not grab me or land many “a-ha’s” as I read it.

I read this bit on “triggers” and the best I come up with is simply exploring in more depth the context within which users do things, and maybe ask them why or spot patterns.

The below example is not all that helpful. And I would submit just a guess at a subtle differentiator in levels of desire to share photos. Why not “parents with kids arriving at milestones in life?” Or, parents "going on family trips?" Seem like good triggering events to me… And the whole early adopter thing is a lot more than simply matching the triggers you think have a higher statistical likelihood of needing the proposed solution. Early adopter is more of a mindset along with a need, IMHO.

Triggers versus demographics define your early adopters

The key question when searching for early adopters is not asking “who” but “when”. In other words, behavioral triggers or psychographics are much more actionable than demographics.

In the "photo sharing for parents" case-study in Running Lean, while I found moms to do more of the sharing than dads (demographics), becoming a first-time mom (psychographics) correlated much higher with a desire for sharing photos with others.

The image about Triggers & Outcomes has a good strategy for triggers:
  • List the conditions that created a desire for change

But, for me, this is still odd language. VPC uses simpler concepts like
  • Customer jobs
  • Customer Pains
  • Customer Pains
And includes a ton of examples and questions — and even TRIGGER questions ;-)

(“Value Proposition Design” Strategyzer.com

Hope this helps

--

---