Re: [london-threads-space] Abridged summary of london-threads-space@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Camille Baker

Aug 30, 2014, 7:12:25 AM8/30/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I'd be interested in that too :)

Camille

Sent from Camille's iPhone 5s

On 29 Aug 2014, at 19:57, london-thr...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Billy <bi...@billycomputersmith.com>: Aug 29 12:33AM -0700

I think you need to contact Sarah Simmonds. She's the person who hacked the
knitting machine to get it fully functional.

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 6:43:19 PM UTC+1, Kurt Strong wrote:
...more

Emilie Giles

Aug 30, 2014, 7:52:59 AM8/30/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com
Same! :)

Sent from my iPhone

Celine

Aug 30, 2014, 11:39:52 AM8/30/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com, london-thr...@googlegroups.com
And me :)

Sent from my iPhone

Rachel Lasebikan

Aug 31, 2014, 2:13:44 PM8/31/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com, london-thr...@googlegroups.com
I'll join too please. Actually I'm looking to embroider my own drawings. Anyone know of any machines that fit that spec by any chance?

Thanks

Rachel Lasebikan

Becky Stewart

Sep 1, 2014, 12:47:12 PM9/1/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com
A computerized embroidery machine is probably what you're looking for:

I don't think the Hackspace has one, but the Machines Room, another making space nearby, does.

Becky
Codasign - Be Creative With Technology
http://www.codasign.com

Samantha Harvey

Sep 1, 2014, 4:57:34 PM9/1/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com
on the other hand if you want to draw with the machine yourself rather than get a computerised machine to draw a digitised image you can use any (well most) sewing machine you need to either drop the 'feed dogs' or cover them with a plate. The feed dogs are the tractor feet looking things under the needle - there is often a switch at the back of the machine - but if you look for 'dropping feed dogs' in the user manual it will help. You will also need a 'darning foot' or 'free motion embroidery foot' which does not press the fabric onto the feeddogs, but lets you move it yourself.

sam

Rachel Lasebikan

Sep 2, 2014, 1:47:22 PM9/2/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com, london-thr...@googlegroups.com
What a great space. Thanks for the tip Becky!

Sent from my mobile.

Rachel Lasebikan

Sep 2, 2014, 1:51:26 PM9/2/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com, london-thr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tip Sam! I want to see what it would look like using a computerised machine as want to try colour blocking, so will pop down to  the Machine room to see!

Rachel

Sent from my mobile.