Textile Area at London Hackspace

Sian

Jan 31, 2014, 7:20:24 AM1/31/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com
Hiii All,

I've just joined the Hackspace so sorry if I'm repeating anything.

I'm super excited about all the textile equipment here. It's amazing!

I'd be really up for shuffling some bits around and sorting the area upstairs out so it's as organised and as nice to be in as the areas downstairs and the new electronics area.

Is anyone else up for getting involved or have any ideas about how it could be changed?

Sian :)

Jonty Wareing

Jan 31, 2014, 7:28:50 AM1/31/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sian,

While I'm not involved with the threadspace directly, I have plans for
how we can rearrange the craft area and have the knitting machine
permanently set up - we didn't get to execute them on the weekend while
reorganising everything else.

Maybe we should try and get all the interested parties to meet in the
space one evening to discuss the best plan? I know Sarah is very keen.

--jonty
> Groups "London Threads Space" group.
> an email to london-threads-s...@googlegroups.com.

Charles Yarnold

Jan 31, 2014, 7:29:12 AM1/31/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com, Hackspace Mailing List
Hello Sian,

I've CC'd this to the main mailing list too.

When was your last visit? Its changed a bit since the painting at the weekend.

I agree things could do with organising, but bear in mind that upstairs is a much more shared space than the workshop, we need to make sure that the tools and storage for threads space, crafts etc are things that can be brought to where your working and tided back rather than permanently set up. (not saying I thought you planned this, just giving you a heads up :) As space is at a premium.

I'm sure other people will have ideas too!

Best,

Sol

Jonty Wareing

Jan 31, 2014, 7:30:48 AM1/31/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com, Hackspace Mailing List
Hi Sian,

While I'm not involved with the threadspace directly, I have plans for
how we can rearrange the craft area and have the knitting machine
permanently set up - we didn't get to execute them on the weekend while
reorganising everything else.

Maybe we should try and get all the interested parties to meet in the
space one evening to discuss the best plan? I know Sarah is very keen.

--jonty

P.S. Also sent this to thread-space, just in case.

Sian

Jan 31, 2014, 9:33:59 AM1/31/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I'm there now! I have been in every day since I joined last week! I definitely agree we should get the knitting machine amongst other machinery permanently set up.

I can meet one evening this week, what about Wednesday? It'd be nice for everyone who may have a use in the equipment in the space to have a say in how it's set up.

Sian

Charles Yarnold

Jan 31, 2014, 11:37:25 AM1/31/14
to Hackspace Mailing List, london-thr...@googlegroups.com
HIa,

Sounds good, I think there may be a better option for the sink. We have the loo with a shower close by. The sink space in there should have more than enough room to replace it with a more heavy duty workshop sink. It means we would have somewhere close to hand without taking up more space :)

Sol

On 31 January 2014 16:15, Sian <sian_ame...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Hey Sol, I'm there at the moment!

It looks great the way everything's laid out now, the dedicated electronics bit is amazing - having everything organised and easy to see is really helpful and encourages people to get involved and share ideas. Having the knitting machine permanently set up will really encourage that in the textiles bit.

Desks against the wall will really make more space. Lets move the shelves round so we can still store stuff on them, otherwise we will have nowhere to pack the equipment away to for the hackspace Hams.

Also would it be possible to plumb in one of the new sinks in that corner, (maybe next to the new desks on the wall) so brushes and fabric can be rinsed without having to go near food preparation areas, or be dripped through the space... water and robotics / electronics doesn't sound great!

I can meet every evening except tuesday, would anyone else be up for meeting on wednesday?

Sian

Adrian Godwin

Jan 31, 2014, 12:45:10 PM1/31/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com, Hackspace Mailing List
Desks against the wall mean that you get more space in the centre of the room, but may halve the number of seats (can't sit both sides) and you can't have low wall storage - everything needs lifting. Obviously a compromise is possible, but there are advantages to the table islands.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "London Threads Space" group.

Sian

Jan 31, 2014, 11:15:02 AM1/31/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, london-thr...@googlegroups.com

Lyndsey Seaborn

Jan 31, 2014, 7:33:43 PM1/31/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately this Wednesday is no good but next Wednesday is fine for me

Sian

Feb 2, 2014, 5:11:27 PM2/2/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com
Ok Wednesday 12th Feb is good for me too

Sian

Sian

Feb 2, 2014, 12:31:07 PM2/2/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, london-thr...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm, Atrg, see what you are saying about desks against the wall. We could always build work benches and move the tables forward, that way there is more space and more seating?

It also means that benches can be made the perfect height (slightly higher than the tables), for people who want to do textiles stuff and need to be able to stand at times, and it allows a dedicated space to set up some of the great stuff Hackspace has like the knitting machine, the sewing machines, and the heat press.

As Lynz said we need to address the storage, so maybe rearranging the shelves that are already there and putting some wall mounted shelves up?

It seems like the textiles / arts crafts area needs some proper thought so that it can be used as a textiles area but also continue to be good as a shared space.

When would people like to meet up?

Sian :)

Lynz

Feb 3, 2014, 8:27:39 AM2/3/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, london-thr...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I'm not really free this week :( but next week should be better!

Wren Montgomery

Feb 5, 2014, 3:54:37 AM2/5/14
to london-thr...@googlegroups.com
Has the meeting been scheduled for 12 Feb, or is it tonight?  I note that the Tube strikes may make either date trickier.

Wren