How much processing in the handset system

Will Pearson

Apr 11, 2011, 3:59:17 PM4/11/11
to London Hackspace Challenge
I said last tuesday that I would try and figure out how much
processing to do in the handset and how much to do in the central
computer.

So I need to figure out the bandwidth and whether it cope with the
level of messaging.

The bandwidth is 115.2 kbps

A message is probably on the order of 100 - 1000 bits. This gives 115
to 1150 messages per second. With 32 controllers, that give 3-35
messages per second per controller. 3 messages will be on the low side
if we want to do arcade games.

So it depends on the size of the message, and how often we need to
retransmit, whether we need to offload processing to the
microcontroller to avoid congestion. Actually with quick reaction
games there is not much processing you can unload locally.

I suppose rather than addressing things to a universal device id you
can shrink the address space to just those controllers in the game and
give them a game id. And talk to them with that.

Will