a hackspace book club?

Andrea Kundry

Jun 23, 2015, 5:53:08 PM6/23/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
anyone interested? how about meeting up to discuss something by cory doctorow or possibly grant morrisons "the invisibles"?
my motivation is: as an artist/musician(non techy) member of hackspace i'd like to offer a different sort of addition to the schedule,
and make it a very social evening..:)

Theodoros Papatheodorou

Jun 23, 2015, 6:54:20 PM6/23/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I'd be up for that!

Nick Rosen

Jun 24, 2015, 4:46:33 AM6/24/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I would definitely come -

Tom Chambers

Jun 24, 2015, 5:13:12 AM6/24/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll try anything once

DomK

Jun 24, 2015, 4:05:14 PM6/24/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested depending on work commitments

DomK

Jun 24, 2015, 4:05:15 PM6/24/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

DomK

Jun 24, 2015, 4:05:16 PM6/24/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Andrea Kundry

Jun 25, 2015, 10:05:21 AM6/25/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

thanks i'm glad a few people would be up for this..i propose to hold the book club as a one off ..discussing TWO books..you could read one or both or just come along without reading them ,if you are curious and heard about it late or whatever..

the books are : grant morrisons the invisibles(i have it on pdf so just ask if you want a copy) and cory doctorow "pirate cinema" free to download from here http://craphound.com/category/novels/

i know people often have more time to read in the summer, especially during the dog days..

any chance i could hold this about 7/8pm in the classroom on tuesday 18 aug or wed 19th august???

Tim Reynolds

Jun 25, 2015, 10:26:12 AM6/25/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Or you could buy a copy of Grant Morrisons work. We've already got Bad
TV Night filling the "organise copyright infringement in the classroom"
niche.

George Cox

Jun 25, 2015, 1:20:34 PM6/25/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm in.

Zia Rahim

Jun 25, 2015, 1:52:59 PM6/25/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey this is a great idea, I run a meetup every 1-2 weeks that involves people bringing a book they are currently reading and telling other people why they love it and how it has helped them. Sometimes people even exchange books which is fantastic. I would be interested in helping you organize it in the space,

Thanks!

Andrea Kundry

Jul 2, 2015, 6:02:15 AM7/2/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

that is cool george..hopefully i can fix a date for august..
zia..excellent..tell me more about this meet up you run

Andrea Kundry

Jul 2, 2015, 8:41:07 AM7/2/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

i'm thinking way ahead for this so people can have all summer to read the book or books :) ..pick which one you want to read basically or even read BOTH cory doctorow and grant morrisons books..and no need to have finished reading them..cos me and my cohorts will be reading out passages from the books on the night, exciting right ? ;) ..yes right before bad movie night, sounds ideal, ..is there a slot available for sat 5th sept to have the first meeting?

Benjamin Blundell

Jul 3, 2015, 6:35:47 AM7/3/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Tangentially related, I have an issue with these book box lending things; all the good books tend to get nicked, leaving only the ones people generally dont like (someone should do a study on whether this reflects critics ratings of books but anyway)...

a while back we picked up a load of Nook e-readers cheap .I'm wondering about book scanners as a thing we could try and build for hackspace use. Obviously this puts us in the firing line of copyright, but I wonder if there are legs in some kind of e-book sharing? Something akin to hacker-bookshelf?

One of the problems I ahve with ebooks (and Im a massive ebook fan) is that the stage is dominated by the likes of Amazon and Barnes and Noble and the like. Is there a better way? At present I use Zotero with a personal webdav, so I have an entire library wherever I have internet and my tablet (works really well). Could this be an interesting use case for the space? (we get through a lot of technical PDFs and datasheets I bet)

On 2 July 2015 at 13:41, Andrea Kundry <andrea.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

i'm thinking way ahead for this so people can have all summer to read the book or books :) ..pick which one you want to read basically or even read BOTH cory doctorow and grant morrisons books..and no need to have finished reading them..cos me and my cohorts will be reading out passages from the books on the night, exciting right ? ;) ..yes right before bad movie night, sounds ideal, ..is there a slot available for sat 5th sept to have the first meeting?

Billy

Jul 3, 2015, 8:31:42 AM7/3/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, o...@section9.co.uk

I think we have a book scanner that Phil made.

Yes, for the datasheets. We're always using the same sets of MDSS's for metals for welding and casting.

Andrea Kundry

Jul 9, 2015, 7:38:32 AM7/9/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
anyone has access to adding this to the calendar? i'm aiming for sat 5th sept..before bad movie night :)

Sarah Simmonds

Jul 9, 2015, 10:02:37 PM7/9/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If you started a forum/irc channel/google hangout/whatever for book discussions I'll totally be into that. Cory Doctorow has been on my to read list for ever and I'm extremely opinionated about my current book Fountainhead right now.

I joined a book club recently but found they have no interest in sci-fi, fantasy or alternate realities. Sad panda :(

Benjamin Blundell

Jul 13, 2015, 6:53:23 AM7/13/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
+ 1 to an online version. I likes that idea

Andrea Kundry

Jul 31, 2015, 11:17:48 AM7/31/15
to London Hackspace, andrea.b...@gmail.com
if anyone wants to start an online book group, cool! good luck with it, i might take part in a minor way but i guess i was aiming to have face to face discussions as im online too much already ;0)

Clare Greenhalgh

Jul 31, 2015, 11:44:59 AM7/31/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Are we talking fantasy or Sci Fi?