Laser cutting gaskets?

Dax Liniere

Sep 19, 2021, 9:17:40 AM9/19/21
to London Hackspace
Hey team,
Do you think gaskets could be cut from gasket paper on the laser cutter?
Head gaskets for a compressor are out of stock and the shapes are pretty simple, so I was thinking of drawing them up. Would also save a few quid as they're not as cheap as sheets of gasket paper.

Cheers!
Dax.

michael....@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2021, 9:31:10 AM9/19/21
to London Hackspace
very interested in the outcome of this question as well, since cellulose fibre sheets / gasket paper are also used to make guitar pickups and I was looking into making my own bobbins now that I'm setup to wind my own pickups
Michael

Paddy Duncan

Sep 19, 2021, 9:32:27 AM9/19/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

Should be ok… so long as you stick to the no-paper-fire protocol of ‘fast as possible no sharp corners’. It’s pretty dense so it’ll probably be more forgiving than normal paper..

Nothing nasty in it is there?

Paddy

michael....@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2021, 9:41:39 AM9/19/21
to London Hackspace
I've been looking to find SDS from a few manufacturers to see what I could find out, looks like what they call "vulcanization" results in a product which is close to 100% cellulose (see here for example)
I would advise getting an actual SDS before placing an order to make sure there's no chlorides or other nasty stuff left from the process
Michael