Electrician

Russ Garrett

Apr 5, 2011, 8:41:00 AM4/5/11
to London Hack Space
Does anyone know a qualified, ideally NICEIC-registered, electrician
who would be willing to do some work for Hackspace for cheap?

I consider myself competent enough to do the electrical installation
that needs doing, but we need someone who's capable of doing an
inspection for us, and perhaps answering a few of my
hopefully-not-stupid questions.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Andy "Bob" Brockhurst

Apr 5, 2011, 10:03:26 AM4/5/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I know someone, just asking him now.

He tends to work abroad installing cellphone towers in remote parts of
the world up mountains etc. so may not be available.

I'll see if he is NICEIC and if he would be able to come and do us a
favour in return for beer, tea and cake (what he naturally runs on).

Please don't let that stop anyone else suggesting alternatives however.

Bob
--
a.k.a b3cft/Andy
Andy "Bob" Brockhurst mailto:andy.br...@b3cft.com

Andy "Bob" Brockhurst

Apr 6, 2011, 3:45:13 AM4/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Response:

tl:dr version

No can't help. Seek a local electrician.

---
Hi

Yes and no is the answer - I have the exams, but never followed up and
joined NICEIC as its expensive etc. So in theory yes I can, but in
practice no I can't write the certificates out as I am not a member of a
suitable money grabbing outfit to get Part P registered.

Hackspace should have an inspection and an electrical installation
certificate issued as kitchen fitters routinely bodge up the electrics
and remove earth connections etc. Sorry to say that London electricians
charge £200 just to turn up as thats what it costs them to park on
double yellow plus congestion charge etc.

You need an electrical inspection certificate for the kitchen otherwise
your public insurance wont pay up - modifying electrics yourself in a
kitchen or a bathroom is a big no no these days and has to be Part P
(local authority) approved.

You can do the work yourselves if you notify your local authority in
advance and then ask them to inspect it for you, but they will still
charge you for the
pleasure.

Sorry to be so negative, but its all jobs for the boys. As hackspace is
a public area its probably best to get an electrical installation
certificate from a local electrician - as they didnt do the kitchen they
may want to charge you for a periodic inspection of the kitchen .... and
then find something wrong so they can do some more
work.

Al

Bob
--
a.k.a b3cft/Andy
Andy "Bob" Brockhurst mailto:andy.br...@b3cft.com
[mob] +44 (0)7790 499034 [twitter] b3cft
http://kingkludge.net/ [yahoo] abrockhurst2000
[skype] andybrockhurst

Mike

Apr 6, 2011, 11:03:46 AM4/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Just wire it all in black & red.

Mike.

signature.asc

Charles Yarnold

Apr 6, 2011, 1:13:07 PM4/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

True, who needs earth these days!

On Apr 6, 2011 4:03 PM, "Mike" <hack...@norgie.net> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 01:41:00PM +0100, Russ Garrett wrote: > Does anyone know a qualified, ideall...

Just wire it all in black & red.

Mike.

Dirk-WIllem van Gulik

Apr 6, 2011, 4:12:31 PM4/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of earth - the earth in the far side of the normal room, near soldering, is floating free. I've not yet gotten to the source of it.

Dw.

Adrian Godwin

Apr 6, 2011, 4:35:50 PM4/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I have some heavy earth cable if we need to replace it.

-adrian