Metal lathe parting tool - broken/replaced

Dax Liniere

Nov 18, 2021, 6:36:27 PM11/18/21
to London Hackspace
Hey gang,
Today I damaged the other end of the 32mm parting blade (metal lathe) . One end was already mashed, but I did the other end in today. I have just ordered a new one and it should be in my hands on Monday. My apologies.

It has raised an issue that we don't have any carbide inserts to go with these parting blades. Can I put in an order for some and get it reimbursed from LHS, please?
If so, how do I go about that?

All the best,
Dax.

Dax Liniere

Nov 18, 2021, 6:39:06 PM11/18/21
to London Hackspace
We also have an extremely limited range of parting-off tools. How are you guys getting your jobs off once you've finished shaping?
The piece I was working on was too short for the power hacksaw and manually holding a hacksaw on it would haev taken a year.

deanforbes

Nov 19, 2021, 1:11:51 AM11/19/21
to London Hackspace
manual hacksaw if I have forgotten my parting blade

It is critical to get the tool  parallel and set at the correct height or you will damage the parting blade - its guaranteed

Dax Liniere

Nov 19, 2021, 4:49:14 PM11/19/21
to London Hackspace

arthur tinsley

Nov 19, 2021, 5:32:25 PM11/19/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Not to throw a proverbial spanner in the works, but is shared insert based parting tools really a good idea? Bearing in mind we have people of all skill levels in the space, and the first one got knackered at one end within days of acquiring it…. Would a re-grind-able tool not be more suited? Just a thought

deanforbes

Nov 19, 2021, 5:39:13 PM11/19/21
to London Hackspace
actually its the second blade we have gone through - there are a number of reasons for this
however
The move to a HSS system is what is going to happen for the parting blade
The space may periodically buy some tooling but member are responsible for purchasing the tooling that they use and should chip in to the space if they use the spaces tooling