Mycology project

Paul Moyses

Jul 2, 2011, 10:20:30 AM7/2/11
to London Hackspace
Hey everyone

I've just joined Hackspace and was thinking about starting a little
mycological project growing delicious tropical mushrooms (e.g.
shiitake mushrooms). I was wondering if anyone else would be
interested in getting involved?

The project would require a mixture of hacking and mycological
cultivation. I have a fair bit of experience with the cultivation side
of things and am very willing to teach anyone who wants to know about:

- Taking, storing and using spore prints
- Sterile technique (the most important bit!)
- Substrate preparation and inoculation
- Cultivation conditions
- Fruiting and harvesting

However, some electronics work is also going to be required, and I'm
not so good on that front. I have a couple of small incubators which
I've used in the past, but they are not temperature or humidity
controlled. Ideally I'd like to hack them to get them working on a
thermostat and set up some kind of process to monitor and adjust
internal humidity. Would anyone be willing to help me do this?

Cheers

Paul

Martin Klang

Jul 2, 2011, 11:04:39 AM7/2/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I have this book if you want to borrow it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mushroom-Cultivator-Practical-Growing-Mushrooms/dp/0961079800

I'm interested in following your project too, but don't have much time myself unfortunately.

cheers,

/m

Tim Storey

Jul 2, 2011, 11:11:39 AM7/2/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like an interesting project. I have some hardware that may well work right off the peg for you. PM me

Lee Nelson

Jul 3, 2011, 12:04:37 AM7/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

> However, some electronics work is also going to be required, and I'm
> not so good on that front. I have a couple of small incubators which
> I've used in the past, but they are not temperature or humidity
> controlled. Ideally I'd like to hack them to get them working on a
> thermostat and set up some kind of process to monitor and adjust
> internal humidity.

Ultrasonic humidifiers with condensing chambers and a timer are often used. If you want about 90% humidity, it is easier and more reliable to just fill the bottom 3 or 4 inches of the incubator with perlite. Add steralized water until damp and make sure the top seals reasonably well. Add some books on the lid if  necessary. This will keep a high level of humidity for ar least a week at a time.

You can add a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide to the water if contamination becomes an issue. Do not use Schultz brand perlite or any other that contains bits of wood or other organic matter, this will begin to rot and lead to contamination.

If you have several incubators try both methods and let us know how they compare.

www.shroomery.org has a wealth of knowledge for the amature mycologist.
http://www.shroomery.org/search.php?terms=humidity+controller

Alec Wright

Jul 3, 2011, 6:16:31 AM7/3/11
On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 23:04 -0500, Lee Nelson wrote:

> > However, some electronics work is also going to be required, and I'm
> > not so good on that front. I have a couple of small incubators which
> > I've used in the past, but they are not temperature or humidity
> > controlled. Ideally I'd like to hack them to get them working on a
> > thermostat and set up some kind of process to monitor and adjust
> > internal humidity.
>
> Ultrasonic humidifiers with condensing chambers and a timer are often
> used. If you want about 90% humidity, it is easier and more reliable
> to just fill the bottom 3 or 4 inches of the incubator with perlite.
> Add steralized water until damp and make sure the top seals reasonably
> well. Add some books on the lid if necessary. This will keep a high
> level of humidity for ar least a week at a time.

I have some perlite which could be brought in. It's unbranded though, so
you'll have to do tests regarding contamination. Possibly a test for
oxidisable substances with dichromate? (Which i also have...)
signature.asc

scary boots

Jul 3, 2011, 6:35:55 AM7/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I will aid in any way I can! I've wanted to grow oyster mushrooms for a while! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot35sh7cVq4

Also time lapsing them would be awesome.