Models in Dusty Wood Workshop

158 views
Skip to first unread message

Paddy Duncan

unread,
May 29, 2013, 10:09:10 AM5/29/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

There are a bunch of foam models left in the wood workshop. Well they were but I have moved them outside.

Pic here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwrj5ar0o38ub91/IMAG0195.jpg

Does anyone know whose they are?

And to those who left them:

There is also plaster splattered around nearby and a general mess left.

And if you want to leave them you should ask permission on this list first, and if no objections attach a correctly-filled-out dnh sticker. And put them somewhere unobtrusive.

Please come and clean up the plaster on the bench, and remove the models asap. Henry has cleaned up the rest of the mess already.

Thanks

Paddy

David Murphy

unread,
May 29, 2013, 11:21:55 AM5/29/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I was talking to the guys who were making these, apparently it' one of those architectural miniature models. beyond that no idea. 

Mark Steward

unread,
May 29, 2013, 12:36:16 PM5/29/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Any idea who they were, or whether this might be part of another project?


Mark


On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM, David Murphy <murphy...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was talking to the guys who were making these, apparently it' one of those architectural miniature models. beyond that no idea. 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "London Hackspace" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to london-hack-sp...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

Paddy Duncan

unread,
May 30, 2013, 12:44:12 PM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

The plot thickens....

Sol found these hidden under the workbench: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0tbist08f5vyo77/IMAG0196.jpg

There is a large piece of foam, a foam-cutting device, and a bag of assorted useful things and bits of foam.

I can only presume they are donated, but you still should have asked the list first.

Paddy

Tim Reynolds

unread,
May 30, 2013, 12:46:56 PM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Three week all of it. 

Monty

unread,
May 30, 2013, 12:49:07 PM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk
Has a note been left with the stuff for when the owners return? In the likely event they don't read the mailing list.

Paddy Duncan

unread,
May 30, 2013, 12:50:36 PM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

They have written on the foam 'don't hack'.

Henry Sands

unread,
May 30, 2013, 12:53:45 PM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk
Thats their foam cutter, its actually a pretty precise piece of kit.

I'm all for having words with them, but please don't break their stuff, having actually talked to them they're pretty swell guys, they've obviously just been a bit dumb and not read any of the rules.

Alison W

unread,
May 30, 2013, 12:58:07 PM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
just to clarify - are they members?


--

Paddy Duncan

unread,
May 30, 2013, 1:27:44 PM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Nobody has suggested breaking anything...

 

From: london-h...@googlegroups.com [mailto:london-h...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Henry Sands

--

Tim Reynolds

unread,
May 30, 2013, 2:16:51 PM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I only suggested the 3 week bins because its my view that people do this stuff because we let them. If you can read enough of the wiki to find out where we are, how to add your card and what tools we have you can read enough of it to learn the rules. There need to be a lot harsher reminders of this. 

Ndlovu (aka) Dean

unread,
Jun 4, 2013, 2:32:58 AM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk
As all ways I am for consistency .... 

If a sweep is done of the workshop I a quite sure orphaned unnotified or unlabeled pojects would be well into the double digits = are we having a "sweep"

I dont know who they were but would also say they were a very friendley and helpfull pair of guys .... chatted to them about what they were doing they asked about what I was doing and enthusiastically engaged however there names elude me .... they were I believe "two Irish Guys doing a model as part of an Architechture Course"

Charles Yarnold

unread,
Jun 4, 2013, 4:56:17 AM6/4/13
to Hackspace Mailing List
Hang on, so your saying that the only way that someone can bring up something thats wrong or needs addressing is by bringing up *everything* that needs to be addressed? If that was the case no one would have any time to do anything but this.

If you leave your project out taking up a full bench with more items taking up another it is more likely to be spotted and reported by a member than something hidden.

Should the hidden things be ignored? No.

Should you have to find the hidden things to be able to report and try to resolve a blatant infringement? Hell no.

Just because you're nice doesn't mean you shouldn't be poked when you do something wrong.


--

Paddy Duncan

unread,
Jun 4, 2013, 6:22:53 AM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

As Charles says, no one really has the time to go ferreting about looking for hidden things (although there are the occasion special days arranged for such clearouts), but if we don’t bring up the obvious, we would soon be buried under it. Not only can it taking up valuable workspace, but it can also get damaged/chucked etc.. It is for everyone’s benefit that we try to stay on top of it. And to repeat, no brownie points are offered for being pleasant, friendly, helpful or doing cool things which be traded for creating work for others. If it were so, those not doing ‘cool shit’ would just end up being the slaves of those who do.

Paddy

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3343 / Virus Database: 3184/6381 - Release Date: 06/03/13

Ndlovu (aka) Dean

unread,
Jun 4, 2013, 10:25:39 AM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

I am not sure what the convoluted interpretation is about regarding my original post.

 

The view points that I make or express for clarification are 

 

a)   "infringement" we should be consistent, the workshop is littered with unlabelled and large projects that are not visible on the general mailing list or hidden in the quagmire of posts  = there is no assessment on whether we should or should not take action

b)  " are the known" I have simply shared what I know of them 


On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:09:10 PM UTC+1, PaddyD wrote:

Tim Reynolds

unread,
Jun 4, 2013, 10:28:20 AM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If you know of projects in the workshop that shouldn't be there, by all
means snap a few pictures and mail the list.

On 2013-06-04 15:25, Ndlovu (aka) Dean wrote:
> I am not sure what the convoluted interpretation is about regarding
> my original post.
>
> The view points that I make or express for clarification are
>
> a) "infringement" we should be consistent, the workshop is littered
> with unlabelled and large projects that are not visible on the general
> mailing list or hidden in the quagmire of posts = there is no
> assessment on whether we should or should not take action
>
> b) " are the known" I have simply shared what I know of them
>
> On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:09:10 PM UTC+1, PaddyD wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> There are a bunch of foam models left in the wood workshop. Well they
>> were but I have moved them outside.
>>
>> Pic here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwrj5ar0o38ub91/IMAG0195.jpg [1]
>>
>> Does anyone know whose they are?
>>
>> And to those who left them:
>>
>> There is also plaster splattered around nearby and a general mess
>> left.
>>
>> And if you want to leave them you should ask permission on this list
>> first, and if no objections attach a correctly-filled-out dnh sticker.
>> And put them somewhere unobtrusive.
>>
>> Please come and clean up the plaster on the bench, and remove the
>> models asap. Henry has cleaned up the rest of the mess already.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Paddy
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "London Hackspace" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> send an email to london-hack-sp...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out [2].
>
>
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwrj5ar0o38ub91/IMAG0195.jpg
> [2] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

Paddy Duncan

unread,
Jun 4, 2013, 12:18:54 PM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Fwiw, the original post was by me, and was about the foam models.

Feel free to start another thread about any other issues.

But as we are here now: consistency is an impossible ideal imo, I have never met anyone or any organisation that is consistent and doubt I ever will.

Having said that, anyone wanting to see more consistency is welcome to bring to everyone's attention anything that they think infringes the rules.

Paddy

 

From: london-h...@googlegroups.com [mailto:london-h...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Ndlovu (aka) Dean


Sent: 04 June 2013 15:26
To: london-h...@googlegroups.com
Cc: pad...@padski.co.uk

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "London Hackspace" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to london-hack-sp...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages