Music meet ups at the space

3 views
Skip to first unread message

Jean-Baptiste Thiebaut

unread,
Nov 17, 2011, 6:08:25 PM11/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We've had our most successful meeting tonight, with 25 people turning up, half of them were new to the space. We had two quality presentations, at the end of which people splitted in groups and started sharing and making music.

It is unfortunate that while we had a good fun, it was detrimental to other members of the space, who felt that we should not have used the main room for our workshop, as the access to soldering station and kitchen was made difficult. I am sorry if people have felt pushed away.

Now, bearing in mind that our meetings happen once a week between 7pm and 9:30pm, I would like to ask kindly if we could use the main space on Thursdays, in order to have enough room to accommodate everyone. Also, I would like to ask permission to video tape the presentations. We won't film anything outside of the scope of our presentations. This is to archive our actvities. Finally, I would like to invite everyone to take advantage of the presentations to meet artists and music enthusiasts in a most friendly environment.

Best,
Jean-Baptiste

Mark Steward

unread,
Nov 17, 2011, 6:22:17 PM11/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Nice to see how well this is going!  I've tentatively added it to the calendar for Thursdays.

I've also given you permissions on the calendar, so you can edit the details if you like.


Cheers,
Mark

Russ Garrett

unread,
Nov 17, 2011, 8:15:12 PM11/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to know what people think about making a sizeable portion of
our space inaccessible for one of the busiest parts of the day on a
Thursday evening.

I think Music Hackspace is excellent, but I wonder if this is pushing
usage of the space a bit too far. (I think we might be able to find
another venue fairly easily.)

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Martin Dittus

unread,
Nov 17, 2011, 8:31:26 PM11/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm biased because I like this initiative very much. (Though I never have time for it.) This just is my personal opinion, I don't speak for the Hackspace here.

I think this project is a bit unusual and deserves a little extra attention here and there because there is a clear opportunity (and potentially also desire) for grooming a new community that will eventually outgrow the Hackspace and start its own thing.

It fills an incredibly large gap, I can easily see this grow to a comparable size as the actual London Hackspace. London is probably one of the few perfect cities for such a music hacking community.

It's a great test case for how to build a new hackspace community using the resources of an existing one.

m.

Russ Garrett

unread,
Nov 17, 2011, 8:34:16 PM11/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 18 November 2011 01:31, Martin Dittus <dek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm biased because I like this initiative very much. (Though I never have time for it.) This just is my personal opinion, I don't speak for the Hackspace here.

Personally, I think you've made quite a strong case for trying to find
a larger space.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Martin Dittus

unread,
Nov 17, 2011, 8:36:35 PM11/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
(That said, we should still encourage each and every one of their visitors to join us.)

m.

phil jones

unread,
Nov 17, 2011, 8:37:16 PM11/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if it hasn't outgrown a Thursday evening slot. What about a
shift to a Saturday or Sunday afternoon?

phil

Martin Dittus

unread,
Nov 17, 2011, 8:39:48 PM11/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I see what you did there. Yes, point taken. One way of teaching them how to swim is by giving them their own pool (and then pushing them in.)

:)

m.

Philip Clevberger

unread,
Nov 17, 2011, 8:55:21 PM11/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I can only agree, todays presentation was great. And I'm happy to see the that the music hacker subgroup have been growing so rapidly.

Mark/Jean Babtiste re the login for the calendar. What is easier, If I just pass you (Jean-Babtiste) the details for future events, such as Michael Page on the 8th, or is it a login we can share or is it easier if I would have one too? - What ever causes the least long term hassle.

Space is a tricky issue though. I think we are getting to a quite crucial point. A lot of new faces (Like Billy pointed out today. It was pretty much 4 regular members and the rest are new members who have come due to the music hacking group). A lot of people are on the boarder of "Shall I join or shall I not". We need longer term plan for space, so both we and the new members feel its something worth working for. Something to grow into.

Moving it to a weekend thing may be a step in the right direction. Would people be ok with us using the larger social space for presentation purposes during the weekend. This is mainly during the presentations (my gut feeling is that they usually last 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes depending on topic and presenters) then we may stay and collaborate on things.

How do we nurse this in the best possible manner. Like Martin mentioned this may grow into a thing of its own if we can create the right circumstances. You founders of the hack space, do you have any advice to give? I'm happy to learn and if there is anything you think I can do to help. We are at a point where we will either make or break it.

By the way, Russ. The available unit I mentioned to you on Thursday. Its advertised on the business centre website. There are some pictures too, even if they are small. http://www.workspacegroup.co.uk/london-commercial-property/studios/east-london/cremer-business-centre/CM101/

Hugs
/Phil

Will Pearson

unread,
Nov 17, 2011, 10:52:28 PM11/17/11
to London Hackspace
I think Saturday is dubious on weekends (as it will conflict with lock
picking once a month, and other infrequent events). We have a policy
of not booking out both rooms at the same time. And I think the music
hackers need something regular

Sunday is a better bet. You will have to accommodate, probably by not
running at the same time as, things like the the Game Jam and other
events that last the whole weekend, but those are fairly infrequent.

Also with the weekends you have to contend with larger infrastructure
projects. Such as the kitchen.

I think we just need more room.

Will


On Nov 18, 1:55 am, Philip Clevberger <philip.clevber...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can only agree, todays presentation was great. And I'm happy to see the that the music hacker subgroup have been growing so rapidly.
>
> Mark/Jean Babtiste re the login for the calendar. What is easier, If I just pass you (Jean-Babtiste) the details for future events, such as Michael Page on the 8th, or is it a login we can share or is it easier if I would have one too? - What ever causes the least long term hassle.
>
> Space is a tricky issue though. I think we are getting to a quite crucial point. A lot of new faces (Like Billy pointed out today. It was pretty much 4 regular members and the rest are new members who have come due to the music hacking group). A lot of people are on the boarder of "Shall I join or shall I not". We need longer term plan for space, so both we and the new members feel its something worth working for. Something to grow into.
>
> Moving it to a weekend thing may be a step in the right direction. Would people be ok with us using the larger social space for presentation purposes during the weekend. This is mainly during the presentations (my gut feeling is that they usually last 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes depending on topic and presenters) then we may stay and collaborate on things.
>
> How do we nurse this in the best possible manner. Like Martin mentioned this may grow into a thing of its own if we can create the right circumstances. You founders of the hack space, do you have any advice to give? I'm happy to learn and if there is anything you think I can do to help. We are at a point where we will either make or break it.
>
> By the way, Russ. The available unit I mentioned to you on Thursday. Its advertised on the business centre website. There are some pictures too, even if they are small.http://www.workspacegroup.co.uk/london-commercial-property/studios/ea...

Adrian Godwin

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 3:44:06 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Is the 'main space' actually more spacious ?

The quiet room is generally used for booked events. It may have
smaller dimensions than the other room but it has a great deal less
clutter, the tables can more easily be moved and it's fairly easy to
overflow into the foyer. Why is it not suitable ?

There's also the possibility of using temporary spaces rather than the
hackspace for larger meetings - the trampery, C4cc etc. No use for a
permanent studio but that's a different question entirely.

-adrian

tom

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 5:05:24 AM11/18/11
to London Hackspace
plus it has the projector, ample power points and no Stratasys making
orgasmic moanings in the corner (or is that chris?)

M

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 5:22:04 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I suspect Chris, he always comes away looking fient and needing a
drink of water.

--
>
++++++++++[>+>+++>++
+++++>++++++++++<<<<
-]>>>+++++++.>++++++
+++++.+++..---------
.++++++++++.<<+++.<.

Jean-Baptiste Thiebaut

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 5:49:11 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Russ for stepping in. I second Martin's vision, and we have other arguments to support a case for a new space. In particular, we would like to spend more time together, and allow members to practice, rehearse, record and collaborate. Make NOISE!

I appreciate greatly that the space has welcomed this activity. If you think that it is the time to start discussing the possibility for a new space, that would make us very happy.

In the meantime, it would be great if our meet ups could be supported a little longer in the main space. The quiet room is not big enough to accommodate 25 people, not without removing all the desks from there.

We could find other places than the main space for meeting up. We've looked into them. But I think that what we're doing is very much inline with the mission of the space, and that reaching out to new people and receive them here rather than at e.g. C4CC is beneficial to the hackspace community.

Regarding the day for the meetings/seminars, I would suggest to keep it on Thursdays, which was the preferred day by a majority of people when we started this 5 weeks ago. But we could meet ALSO at the week end, to run informal workshops :)

Best,
JB

Darren McDonald

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 5:55:28 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Hows our cash flow/reserves at the moment?

Nigel Worsley

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 6:19:38 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Hows our cash flow/reserves at the moment?

As far as I know we currently have a surplus of about �1000 a month, this will increase to at least �1500 and maybe
as much as �2500 when we become a charity.

Not sure about cash reserves, I would guess at �9000 but could be well out!

Russ will probably post the real figures shortly.

Nigle


tom

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 6:36:23 AM11/18/11
to London Hackspace
> In the meantime, it would be great if our meet ups could be supported a little longer in the main space. The quiet room is not big enough to accommodate 25 people, not without removing all the desks from there.

and last night the quiet room wasnt really big enough for the people
displaced by the meeting, not to mention that we dont have access to
the soldering station, kitchen, component bins, lovelace/babbage or
the Stratasys without interrupting you all.

As you said, you have 25 people arriving surely a handful could help
move the desks around for it?

Russ Garrett

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 7:07:20 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 18 November 2011 11:36, tom <bollo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In the meantime, it would be great if our meet ups could be supported a little longer in the main space. The quiet room is not big enough to accommodate 25 people, not without removing all the desks from there.
>
> As you said, you have 25 people arriving surely a handful could help
> move the desks around for it?

Yeah, the quiet room is intended to be reconfigured if necessary - it
only takes 10mins to take the legs off the desks and stow them away.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Jakob

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 7:30:35 AM11/18/11
to London Hackspace
For my short time in hackspace I have seen several meetups larger than
25 persons successfully run from the silent room (actually some have
seamed to been overcrowded and might been better of at the main room,
but I guess we talk about 40+ persons), If all great and interesting
meetups of more than 20 would aspire the main room, it would be
blocked for other uses a bit to often I guess. Just to be fair! If you
in the future oversize the silent room, then I suggest we all consider
allocating the main room for music meetup on Thursday nights. I just
don't see that's where we are yet!

And please kindly inform people you like to move from the space they
are currently working at, a bit in advance, weather this is in silent
room or in the main room!

Jakob

Jean-Baptiste Thiebaut

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 7:57:43 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your input. We will use the silent room next week then.
And I will send a reminder on the day to ask to free the space a bit in advance.

Cheers
JB

Will Pearson

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 8:33:34 AM11/18/11
to London Hackspace
Just a thought.

Personally I don't have a problem with you wanting to spread out, when
you've finished the presentations in the quiet room, and use free
space in the main room for collaborations as well as the quiet room.
As long as you don't mind the gentle hum of the stratisys, etc.

Will


On Nov 18, 12:57 pm, Jean-Baptiste Thiebaut

Jakob

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 9:07:44 AM11/18/11
to London Hackspace
Totally agree with Will on that point!

Philip Clevberger

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 9:13:21 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like we got a good plan,
Thank you everyone for the input.

I think even we (read the music hackers) didn't recognised the quick growth of the music hackers.
Starting off as a bunch of people around one desk in the main room.

If you come up with more ideas on how we can improve and evolve let us know, it will be much appreciated

/Phil the swedish cat

tom

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 9:33:16 AM11/18/11
to London Hackspace
but this is double the hassle for people already in the main room.
Tear down, re-setup in the quiet room and move back if they need kit
in there

Philip Clevberger

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 9:40:13 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
No one need to move, unless they want to.
Quiet space booked for presentation purposes. Further hacking may take place in the main room afterwards where ever there is space. On the same premises as other fellow hackers.

After the presentation we do not intend to make any more noise in the quite space.
We may make some noise when hacking in the mailroom. We will try to keep it in tune with the Stratsys, but can't promise that.


/The Phil

Guy J

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 9:48:10 AM11/18/11
to London Hackspace
I don't think any of us would be expecting other hackers to move from
the mainspace to the quiet space after the presentation has finished
just so we have space for our projects. The presentations are the
times at which we would like a bit of space and less distractions and
the quiet room, with a bit of preparation and some advanced warning
for those who might be using it, would be perfect for this it seems.

After the presentation those who have projects they want to work or
collaborate on can spread out but nobody would/should be expecting
"priority" just because we've decided thursday is the night we meet
up.

granted, we do make noise obviously and some people might find it
annoying and want to move to a different room so it's not totally
simple.

Martin Klang

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 9:50:41 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

On 18 Nov 2011, at 14:33, tom wrote:

> but this is double the hassle for people already in the main room.
> Tear down, re-setup in the quiet room and move back if they need kit
> in there

I think you misunderstood:
the suggestion is to have the music meet in the quiet room so no-one has to move from the main room.

It does mean that people already in the quiet room may have to move unless they want to be part of the music thing.
Same as for other booked events.

/m

tom

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 9:50:41 AM11/18/11
to London Hackspace
ok sounds good :)

No one will get interrupted by Chris's orgasmic grindings (or is it
the Stratasys?)

On Nov 18, 2:40 pm, Philip Clevberger <philip.clevber...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Guy J

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 9:58:49 AM11/18/11
to London Hackspace
.....would we be allowed to put contact mics on the stratsys?....

Martin Klang

unread,
Nov 18, 2011, 11:46:51 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 18 Nov 2011, at 14:58, Guy J wrote:

> .....would we be allowed to put contact mics on the stratsys?....

You mean on Chris?
Probably depends on what part. Whattya say, Chris?

/m

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages