F1 Monza GP Special Event: 11 September, 11.30

Catherine Flick

Aug 30, 2011, 3:26:40 PM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

Now that the TV licence thingy seems to be fairly positively on the move, Amran and I would like to announce a F1 Monza GP Special Event on Sunday 11th September. It's perfect if you're new to Formula 1, or an old hand that wants to get together to discuss Eddie's taste in shirts.

Formula 1 is a wonderfully techy sport, with a lot of the cutting edge R&D in engines, tyres, and other car parts. It also has a rich history in Britain, with many of the top teams owned or based in the UK. Monza is considered the fastest track of the season, with the cars pushed to their limits as they hit over 230 mph. It's also renowned as being one of the deadliest circuits too, having claimed the lives of 52 drivers, but more recent developments in car and track safety have massively improved the conditions for both drivers and spectators. Still, there's a lot of excitement to be had, and some magnificent engineering and strategy to admire.

11.30: Talk by Amran about Formula 1 tech, engineering, and strategy. Discussion about this sort of stuff will continue throughout the afternoon as the race progresses.
12-ish: BBC coverage begins
13.00: Race begins.

Bring a packed lunch and some snacks!

Hope to see you there,
Catie and Amran

Martin

Aug 30, 2011, 4:34:40 PM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
So, do we actually have a tv license now? if so, I'm definately up for it.
,

Catherine Flick

Aug 30, 2011, 4:55:42 PM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Not exactly... hoping it'll get done before then, or I'll bring extra batteries ;-)

C.

dan...@dhertz.com

Aug 30, 2011, 5:25:03 PM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Wish I could be there, except I'll be in Monza! Will hope to see you for Singapore though!

Daniel

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad

Anish

Aug 30, 2011, 6:18:02 PM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Cool, defenitely sounds intersting, hoping to be there....

From: Catherine Flick <lie...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:26:40 +0100
Subject: [london-hack-space] F1 Monza GP Special Event: 11 September, 11.30

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Aug 30, 2011, 7:52:11 PM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
"fairly positively on the move" ???

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:26:40 +0100, Catherine Flick <lie...@gmail.com>

Catherine Flick

Aug 31, 2011, 2:47:21 AM8/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hehe, I wondered when someone might pick up on that. I meant it's "being discussed, with, so far, a fairly positive view to allow occasional events such as this (and also for legal coverage)".

C.

Kutoma Ltd

Sep 8, 2011, 11:26:37 AM9/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Any news about this Special Event on Sunday.
Is it happening ?

Thanks for any feedback

Best regards

Gottfried

Mike

Sep 8, 2011, 11:50:17 AM9/8/11
On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:26:37AM -0700, Kutoma Ltd wrote:
> Any news about this Special Event on Sunday.
> Is it happening ?
>
> Thanks for any feedback

According to the BBC F1 page, I believe it very much is going ahead.

Mike.

signature.asc

Kutoma Ltd

Sep 8, 2011, 12:21:46 PM9/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mike for your feedback.
I m sure the GP will go ahead I was more thinking about the "Public Viewing" of the F1 GP at the hackspace

Rgds Gottfried

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Sep 8, 2011, 8:10:41 PM9/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Two possible issues, both involving Licences!!

AFAIK we have not yet invested in a TV licence.

Will this clash with the Foundation Licence course? I assume that this
will be in the quiet room.

Phil

Catherine Flick

Sep 9, 2011, 1:16:16 AM9/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know it's going ahead - I've been at a conference with limited internet access all week so I haven't been able to send a reminder until now. We asked someone on IRC when we were discussing it a while back to put it on the calendar, is it not there? At any rate, the calendar said that the room was free on Sunday when I announced the event... could someone put it on the calendar please?

Additionally, if there's anything I can do to make buying a licence happen, please let me know. If it doesn't happen before Sunday I may end up needing to rely on multiple laptops which would kind of suck.

Thanks,
Catie

Tim Storey

Sep 9, 2011, 3:39:51 AM9/9/11
On 09/09/2011 06:16, Catherine Flick wrote:
> As far as I know it's going ahead - I've been at a conference with
> limited internet access all week so I haven't been able to send a
> reminder until now. We asked someone on IRC when we were discussing it a
> while back to put it on the calendar, is it not there? At any rate, the
> calendar said that the room was free on Sunday when I announced the
> event... could someone put it on the calendar please?
>
> Additionally, if there's anything I can do to make buying a licence
> happen, please let me know. If it doesn't happen before Sunday I may end
> up needing to rely on multiple laptops which would kind of suck.
>
> Thanks,
> Catie
>
> On 9 September 2011 01:10, <cepm...@yahoo.co.uk
> <mailto:cepm...@yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
>
> Two possible issues, both involving Licences!!
>
> AFAIK we have not yet invested in a TV licence.
>
> Will this clash with the Foundation Licence course? I assume that
> this will be in the quiet room.
>
> Phil
>

> On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 17:21:46 +0100, Kutoma Ltd <goe...@gmail.com
> <mailto:goe...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Thanks Mike for your feedback.
> I m sure the GP will go ahead I was more thinking about the
> "Public Viewing"
> of the F1 GP at the hackspace
>
> Rgds Gottfried
>

> --

Just to be pedantic, I am not sure at all that this has been resolved.
There are opposing views. Mine for one, I object to money being spent on
a TV license and I object the space being used for public TV watching.
It is a space to make things and discuss ideas not goggle at sport etc.
If that is wish you wish to do in the space that is your own affair but
others should not have to be subject to it.
I feel it is an inappropriate use of the Hackspace. If you want to watch
sport/tv go the the pub or go to someone's flat, or indeed your own.
Don't take up valuable space with the idiot box.

Mark Steward

Sep 9, 2011, 3:59:14 AM9/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Added to the calendar.  I've bought a TV licence myself.

Let's see if it actually causes any annoyance first.

Mark

Sep 9, 2011, 4:13:09 AM9/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey Guys,

Just setup a pledge for a new TV.

http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Pledges/Samsung_UE46D8000_3D_LED_TV

Can you make sure that you dig deep, it's a bit pricey but it's
perfect for sports. Especially ideal for the world cup, and olympics.

Regards,
Morris

--

++++++++++[>+>+++>++
+++++>++++++++++<<<<
-]>>>+++++++.>++++++
+++++.+++..---------
.++++++++++.<<+++.<.

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Sep 9, 2011, 4:19:17 AM9/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I am willing to fund the basic Sky+ HD package, will anyone pledge for the
extended sport package?

Phil

plus

--
" et cognoscetis veritatem et veritas liberabit vos. "

Martin

Sep 9, 2011, 4:40:25 AM9/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
All these people saying we shouldn't get a tv license so they don't have to watch sport ... seriously??? u don't have to watch it, there are 3 rooms, u can get away from it, live and let live guys.  Reminds me of the vegan warrior at CCC who wouldn't eat any food if it had been cooked with implements that may have at some point in a previous life touched meat.  Your begining to look rediculous.  I may be able to supply a tv, although it has to come from Colchester if anyone is willing to drive (about an hours drive away) I'll willingly donate it (42" LCD 1080p HD).

Mike

Sep 9, 2011, 6:34:08 AM9/9/11
On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 09:40:25AM +0100, Martin wrote:
> All these people saying we shouldn't get a tv license so they don't have to
> watch sport ... seriously??? u don't have to watch it, there are 3 rooms, u
> can get away from it, live and let live guys. Reminds me of the vegan
> warrior at CCC who wouldn't eat any food if it had been cooked with
> implements that may have at some point in a previous life touched meat.
> Your begining to look rediculous. I may be able to supply a tv, although it
> has to come from Colchester if anyone is willing to drive (about an hours
> drive away) I'll willingly donate it (42" LCD 1080p HD).

When you use the utensils some of the molecules of the meat are
transfered to utensil. As it's washed and reused the moelecules will
gradually be removed but the untensil will retain a memory of the
molecules. This can then be transfered to any vegan friendly food. I
believe homeopaths have been aware of this effect for a couple of
hundred years.

Mike.

signature.asc

Toby Catlin

Sep 9, 2011, 6:46:18 AM9/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
So how does a vegan deal with air borne dead skin cells?
Extra hair nasal hair?

Tim Storey

Sep 9, 2011, 7:06:55 AM9/9/11
On 09/09/2011 09:40, Martin wrote:
> All these people saying we shouldn't get a tv license so they don't have
> to watch sport ... seriously??? u don't have to watch it, there are 3
> rooms, u can get away from it, live and let live guys. Reminds me of
> the vegan warrior at CCC who wouldn't eat any food if it had been cooked
> with implements that may have at some point in a previous life touched
> meat. Your begining to look rediculous. I may be able to supply a tv,
> although it has to come from Colchester if anyone is willing to drive
> (about an hours drive away) I'll willingly donate it (42" LCD 1080p HD).
>
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:19 AM, <cepm...@yahoo.co.uk
> <mailto:cepm...@yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
>
> I am willing to fund the basic Sky+ HD package, will anyone pledge
> for the extended sport package?
>
> Phil
>
> plus
>
> On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 09:13:09 +0100, M <a.turn...@gmail.com
> <mailto:a.turn...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hey Guys,
>
> Just setup a pledge for a new TV.
>
> http://wiki.london.hackspace.__org.uk/view/Pledges/Samsung___UE46D8000_3D_LED_TV

> <http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Pledges/Samsung_UE46D8000_3D_LED_TV>
>
> Can you make sure that you dig deep, it's a bit pricey but it's
> perfect for sports. Especially ideal for the world cup, and
> olympics.
>
> Regards,
> Morris
>
> On 9 September 2011 08:59, Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

> <mailto:cepm...@yahoo.co.uk>>__> wrote:
> >
> > Two possible issues, both involving Licences!!
> >
> > AFAIK we have not yet invested in a TV licence.
> >
> > Will this clash with the Foundation Licence
> course? I assume that
> > this will be in the quiet room.
> >
> > Phil
> >

> > On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 17:21:46 +0100, Kutoma Ltd
> <goe...@gmail.com <mailto:goe...@gmail.com>
> > <mailto:goe...@gmail.com

Adrian Godwin

Sep 9, 2011, 7:11:09 AM9/9/11
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Martin <crys...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> All these people saying we shouldn't get a tv license so they don't have to
> watch sport ... seriously??? u don't have to watch it, there are 3 rooms, u
> can get away from it, live and let live guys.  Reminds me of the vegan

I don't think that many people are strongly against watching the F1
race. But it's a thin-end-of-the-wedge thing - although an occasional
bit of TV is acceptable, having a TV on constantly in one room (as
happens in all too many pubs) would basically make that room unusable
for many people. and while we do have 3 rooms, they're all essential
for other purposes at one time or another.

Of course, constant TV hasn't been proposed and several people,
Catherine included, have stated it's not the aim. But if there's no TV
licence it can't happen, which is a pretty safe position. So I can
understand objections (and if pushed to take sides would take that
one).

To resolve it peacefully, we just need the principles to be nailed
down. TV is a schedulable activity, just like any workshop.It's not
allowed to take over, it's not allowed to become the default when
there is nothing else scheduled. Personal use must remain personal,
with headphones and not using shared resources.

-adrian

spooq

Sep 9, 2011, 7:34:04 AM9/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1240406/How-constant-TV-giving-children-speech-problems.html

This article clearly illustrates the dangers of TV. How will we
protect any children visiting the space? I think we should be able to
repurpose one of the welding screen doors.

Luke

Anish Mohammed

Sep 9, 2011, 7:42:35 AM9/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> >This can then be transfered to any vegan friendly food. I
> >believe homeopaths have been aware of this effect for a couple of
> >hundred years.
I guess if are referring to "potency" argument many of us would find it a struggle to understand
Regards
Anish

Anish Mohammed
Twitter: anishmohammed
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/anishmohammed

Adrian Godwin

Sep 9, 2011, 7:42:47 AM9/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Mike

Sep 9, 2011, 7:50:57 AM9/9/11
On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 12:34:04PM +0100, spooq wrote:
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1240406/How-constant-TV-giving-children-speech-problems.html
>
> This article clearly illustrates the dangers of TV. How will we
> protect any children visiting the space? I think we should be able to
> repurpose one of the welding screen doors.
>
> Luke

It's a nice gesture but I think I read something in the Daily Mail about
welding screens giving you cancer.

Mike.

signature.asc

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Sep 9, 2011, 5:54:35 PM9/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
A large screen monitor of this size would be useful for groups to watch
video material without having to black out the room.
I would, however, join those who would not wish TV of any sort to become
the norm. Having various Youtube videos inflicted upon us is bad enough.
Unless of course it is Roobarb cartoons (or Roadrunner/Wile E. Coyote) :D

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 09:40:25 +0100, Martin <crys...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> All these people saying we shouldn't get a tv license so they don't have
> watch sport ... seriously??? u don't have to watch it, there are 3
> rooms, u
> can get away from it, live and let live guys. Reminds me of the vegan
> warrior at CCC who wouldn't eat any food if it had been cooked with
> implements that may have at some point in a previous life touched meat.
> Your begining to look rediculous. I may be able to supply a tv,
> although it
> has to come from Colchester if anyone is willing to drive (about an hours
> drive away) I'll willingly donate it (42" LCD 1080p HD).
>
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:19 AM, <cepm...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I am willing to fund the basic Sky+ HD package, will anyone pledge for
>> the
>> extended sport package?
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> plus
>>
>> On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 09:13:09 +0100, M <a.turn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Guys,
>>>
>>> Just setup a pledge for a new TV.

>>> http://wiki.london.hackspace.**org.uk/view/Pledges/Samsung_**
>>> UE46D8000_3D_LED_TV<http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Pledges/Samsung_UE46D8000_3D_LED_TV>

Catherine Flick

Sep 9, 2011, 7:50:26 PM9/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone, and Mark particularly. :) Look forward to seeing you all on Sunday! (we'll probably use the projector in the quiet room and I'll bring my eye-tv usb stick :-)

Catie

6tricky9

Sep 10, 2011, 8:16:15 AM9/10/11
to London Hackspace

On Sep 9, 9:40 am, Martin <crysi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I may be able to supply a tv, although it
> has to come from Colchester if anyone is willing to drive (about an hours
> drive away) I'll willingly donate it (42" LCD 1080p HD).

I live in Colchester, but I'm in London at present. I will be driving
back to Colchester this coming week and returning to London one or two
days later, if that's any help. I'm not sure, at present, which those
days will be.

Richard

Niels

Sep 10, 2011, 10:39:32 AM9/10/11
to London Hackspace
It's worse than that - seeing a link to a Daily Mail story causes
people *who you meet* to mutate in to undead Daily Mail readers. It's
like the Rage virus. But with a lower resultant IQ.

On Sep 9, 12:50 pm, Mike <hacksp...@norgie.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 12:34:04PM +0100, spooq wrote:
> >http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1240406/How-constant-TV-givin...
>
> > This article clearly illustrates the dangers of TV. How will we
> > protect any children visiting the space? I think we should be able to
> > repurpose one of the welding screen doors.
>
> > Luke
>
> It's a nice gesture but I think I read something in the Daily Mail about
> welding screens giving you cancer.
>
> Mike.
>
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

Nigel Worsley

Sep 10, 2011, 11:40:30 AM9/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> It's a nice gesture but I think I read something in the Daily Mail about
> welding screens giving you cancer.

I think you are getting your health scares mixed up, getting cancer from welding screens is clearly ridiculous. It is rickets that
is the problem.

Welding screens sbsorb all UV from the surrounding environment, preventing children from using it to synthesise vitamin D. A
shortage of
this vitamin is a major cause of rickets, which is still a common disease in the developing world - which just happens to be where
many
welding screens are made.

The manufacturers are well aware of the risks, but continue to naively assume that children won't spend large amounts of time in
welding
workshops and therefore provide no warnings whatsover of the serious harm that can result.

It is about time that the government took action over this, I am thinking of starting an epetition on the subject.

Nigle

Catherine Flick

Niels

Sep 11, 2011, 4:59:15 AM9/11/11
to London Hackspace
Which is why your children need to do an hour of arc welding every
day....

Michael Shiloh

Sep 11, 2011, 5:18:49 PM9/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
or, why the health service should provide everyone with an arc welder!

--
Michael Shiloh
KA6RCQ