Final call for observations/ideas/complaints about the new kitchen.

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 7, 2011, 1:18:33 PM4/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Dear All

About a week ago I started to sort out worktops, cupboards etc. for the
new kitchen space at the back of 23. I also posted a (really rough) plan
on the wall and invited comments via the mailing list and have heard
nothing.... In conversation with another member last night it came out
that others have put forward ideas in the past and perhaps might want to
have a bit (or a lot!) of input. Nothing is set in stone as yet and the
general layout that I have in mind is very flexible but I would like to
progress the work. So if you have any observations please let me know, the
materials for the job are in danger of becoming a nuisance in 24 so there
is a degree of urgency to this.

I am in the space most nights lately so I am not difficult to find :-)
Lets sort out a plan acceptable to all and do it!!!

Sol has emptied the kitchen in preparation for replacing the flooring, not
sure when that will be completed but final fixing of the worktops etc.
will not happen until then. In the meantime the cupboards etc. can be
built loose and moved about as needed so the flooring issue should not
cause any delay to construction.

As an aside, the kitchen is exactly 2600 millimetres wide :-)
Perhaps someone could come up with a really "leet" name for the new
facility. I thought up "Cap`n Crunch`s Cafe" but it sounds a bit lame....

On with the hacking!

Phil

Russ Garrett

Apr 7, 2011, 2:07:21 PM4/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, cepm...@yahoo.co.uk
On 7 April 2011 18:18, <cepm...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> About a week ago I started to sort out worktops, cupboards etc. for the new
> kitchen space at the back of 23. I also posted a (really rough) plan on the
> wall and invited comments via the mailing list and have heard nothing....

As it's unlikely I'll be able to get to the space until Tuesday, can
we have a copy of the plan online? I didn't spot it last time I was
there.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Clare Greenhalgh

Apr 7, 2011, 2:44:56 PM4/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Just a thought - I really like the height of the worksurface in the kitchen - I think I am average height at the Space too - many are taller than me too so it might be an idea to keep it at the height it is now rather than drop it.

Just an idea!
Noko

amx109

Apr 7, 2011, 4:55:40 PM4/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
as a Very Tall Person, i second that!

Nigel Worsley

Apr 7, 2011, 7:59:11 PM4/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Perhaps someone could come up with a really "leet" name for the new facility.

GastroHack

Nigle

Mark Steward

Apr 7, 2011, 9:04:12 PM4/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Nigel Worsley
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:59 AM, Nigel Worsley <nig...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Perhaps someone could come up with a really "leet" name for the new  facility.

GastroHack

Some more assorted ideas:

  Fat Hack
  Power-up
  Taste Lab
  Hackasan
  Grease Pit
  The 1337ery
  Hackdonalds
  Ol' Sol's Burger Joint

... or for now, just "the mess"?

Mark

P.S. can we put 'omnomnom' jaws around the door?

Sci

Apr 7, 2011, 10:03:54 PM4/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

The wiki said Charles was in charge of the kitchen planning, so I sent
the following list of thoughts to him about a month ago. Afraid I may
not be in the space until over the weekend so I don't know if any of it
already matches the plan on the wall.
Most of this occurred to me while cooking the pancakes in there.

~ Sci

- --

I noticed the way people walked through it was either waiting & chatting
or going through to the fire-escape, and I suspect the fire escape is
supposed to be kept clear of obstacles. The trouble finding a table was
a problem, so I wonder if the shallow recess where the banner of the
queen currently hangs could be filled with shallow shelves? It'd seem a
good out-of-the-way place to store cups, glasses and sundry dry
ingredients & condiments. Additionally below the shelves there could be
a wall-mounted fold-down table, like half of a drop-leaf table (in fact
finding half a circular table to re-use there would be perfect). With
the hinged support angled toward the door, in an emergency it could be
easily knocked down flush to the wall again.

I would have thought the hob & oven would be best placed by the window
furthest from the fire exit as it'd reduce the odds of passing people
bumping or disturbing those working with burny-hot foodstuffs. Likewise
preparation-space on the end wall where people using knives won't get
bumped. Maybe I'm a bit over-paranoid about that, but it would also be
away from the door and a bit warmer to work in, which might benefit
temperature-sensitive recipes? Plus I think the bin should be near the
door to reduce any smells, and cooker near the bin doesn't sound right.
But bin by the sink sounds ok, to prevent lumpy stuff being forced down
the drain. (downside is sink near the door means water gets cold
quicker, making washing-up uncomfortable. But there's the dishwasher, so..)
If the cooker was over by the far corner, I heard mention of an
extractor-fan possibility. Got me to wondering if the soldering bench is
staying in the same place, perhaps a combined extractor system could be
used via ducting? Draw air out from the solder area and from above the hob..

How capable of load-bearing are the partition walls around the room? If
worktops were on brackets and shelves under them on spur-shelving, then
shelves could be reconfigured for whatever is required to be stored
there, save space and cost compared with regular kitchen units, and
prevent things from getting forgotten about at the back of cupboards
with a box system as in the workshop?
Also if that (and the folding table idea) were used, then they could be
implemented regardless of the condition of the kitchen floor, which
sounds like it's a bit of a bottleneck?

I also noticed a LAN socket in that room and a high-up power socket. A
computer terminal is handy in a workshop for looking up datasheets and
guides, so it would seem it could be useful in a kitchen too. Something
like a thin-client machine could be mounted on the wall above the
preparation area with a wipe-clean membrane keyboard and joystick
"mouse" to allow quick checking of recipes, ingredient uses, etc.. (and
maybe to pipe in streaming audio for cooking music).

I presume the beer pumps will be moved through to the new kitchen too,
but I have no idea how that setup works. I can only think it would want
to be between the door and the prep area so use doesn't block either
completely (presuming along the wall shared with the soldering bench &
window).

Would I be right in thinking the kitchen will get it's own webcam too?

- --
Peter "Sci" Turpin

My business site: http://www.starborneworks.com/
My blog: http://sci.livejournal.com/
My gallery: -currently down-

Chris Foote (Spike)

Apr 7, 2011, 11:44:32 PM4/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Some good ideas!

I like "Hackdonalds", or how about "Hackamama" ("Hack yo mama"?)

Sorry, I'll go back to sleep now.....

Spike

Elliot West

Apr 8, 2011, 2:59:39 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 8 April 2011 02:04, Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com> wrote:
  Hackasan
  The 1337ery

These are GOLD!

Andy Smith

Apr 8, 2011, 4:51:53 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

 +1 for "The 1337ery" and "Hackdonalds".

Or, quite simply: "the phreaking kitchen"...?

I like "Hackdonalds", or how about "Hackamama" ("Hack yo mama"?)

Sorry, I'll go back to sleep now.....

Spike

believed to be clean.

Dave Ingram

Apr 8, 2011, 6:45:19 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
+1 for "The 1337ery"

Which reminds me: one of Imperial College's new bars is called simply FiveSixEight. Geek points available upon request for those that understand and smile quietly.

�