Help with engraving

Kulu

Apr 15, 2021, 4:11:59 AM4/15/21
to London Hackspace

Hi all

I have just started in crypto, and would like to engrave the seed on a couple of metal plates; I have not been trained on any of the relevant equipment, can I ask for some help?  I really only have time on weekends, and need some time to get the metal blanks. All help gratefully received.

Rowan Hoggarth

Apr 15, 2021, 6:32:57 AM4/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
What kind of engraving are you thinking of doing?

The laser cutter in the space is not able to engrave metal, however it can be used to apply a thermal ink called 'cermark' to some metals.

There is a miniature rotary engraver, it requires no training, but it's a Chinese kit type thing and you'll need to look at it's manual  (on a CD) to use it. As far as I know if has not yet been used successfully.

I happen to own a fibre laser engraver which can engrave metals, which I would offer to burn you some cards with. However as the seeds are very sensitive information I don't know how that would be as to work!

Best,

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021, 09:11 Kulu, <jkalm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all

I have just started in crypto, and would like to engrave the seed on a couple of metal plates; I have not been trained on any of the relevant equipment, can I ask for some help?  I really only have time on weekends, and need some time to get the metal blanks. All help gratefully received.

Daniel Edgecumbe

Apr 15, 2021, 6:39:10 AM4/15/21
to 'Nigel Worsley' via London Hackspace
From a cryptographical perspective it seems highly inadvisable to be typing key material into random devices! How likely is a fire compared to a public computer being compromised?

Daniel Edgecumbe | esotericnonsense
d...@esotericnonsense.com | https://esotericnonsense.com
> > To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/london-hack-space/6aa6a1fe-b7f7-44de-840b-49a9830d1802n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/london-hack-space/6aa6a1fe-b7f7-44de-840b-49a9830d1802n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/london-hack-space/CAA52Jd8tGvBKSD2kk5WQq_-_Rsg%3DU8xBiAEk02OjPByO0tooLA%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/london-hack-space/CAA52Jd8tGvBKSD2kk5WQq_-_Rsg%3DU8xBiAEk02OjPByO0tooLA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Rowan Hoggarth

Apr 15, 2021, 6:50:58 AM4/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Another technique you could use is etching with copper: get a small sheet of copper and write by hand the seed in Sharpie marker pen. Dip this in ferric chloride (circuit board etch). This would produce an engraving like 'permentant' record, but would not use any computers!

Adrian Godwin

Apr 15, 2021, 7:04:18 AM4/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You could use a set of number / letter stamps to stamp them into a metal surface, dog-tag style

Andre Amorim

Apr 15, 2021, 8:09:10 AM4/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi, indeed it's a good idea to keep your BIP39/44 minemonic seeds backups in a post apocalyptic type of media.

Here's a list metal wallets and some ideas for engraving

I think the most important part of keeping your Bitcoin safe is actually generate your seeds with a truly random number generator.

The website by Ian Coleman about BIP39/44 Bitcoin specifications there are good web links with explanations about entropy principles and sources of random number.

All the best
André.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021, 09:11 Kulu <jkalm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all

I have just started in crypto, and would like to engrave the seed on a couple of metal plates; I have not been trained on any of the relevant equipment, can I ask for some help?  I really only have time on weekends, and need some time to get the metal blanks. All help gratefully received.

luis fidel

Apr 16, 2021, 4:51:43 AM4/16/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi
side question to the engraving. I have a die cast blue sprayed stomp box I think made by Hammond or Camden boss. Can we use the laser to engrave / cut through the paint to the metal to make a front panel. Or does the issue of when the laser hits the metal and bounce back down the tube still happen and become a problem.
Thanks

michael....@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2021, 8:57:19 AM4/16/21
to London Hackspace
the issue with the painted stompbox is really the paint material: you should not attempt to engrave it until you know exactly what material it is and if it's compatible with our laser cutter otherwise you risk fire/fouling up the inside.
From personal experience I have never been able to get a straight answer from any "manufacturer" of painted/powder coated stomp box enclosures (my guess is they buy direct from China and don't ask too many questions) so while my guess would be polyurethane I never managed to get it confirmed.
Michael

Dax Liniere

Apr 16, 2021, 8:39:49 PM4/16/21
to London Hackspace
Hey Luis, unfortunately not.
Even if you were to ignore the chemical fumes from burning paint (which you should not) and the laser compatibility, the paint will very likely end up with ugly burn marks. Remember that paints are not designed to be burned, so the engraving on your nice finish will probably have brown marks around the edge of every line.
Your best bet is to find someone with a small CNC router and use a V- bit. You can set the line width by setting the depth.

Hope that helps!
By the way, what's the pedal you're building? I built quite a few during lockdown for my studio.

All the best,
Dax.

luis fidel

Apr 17, 2021, 6:00:20 AM4/17/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your responds was promted by the following video

I reached out asking what he used considering he was making stomp boxes for a living this is part of his response

That was on an Epilog Mini 18”, with a 25W CO2 laser. 25W when I bought it was a real industry minimum, and probably 35W would be the minimum or more now. But it shows that it doesn’t need much power to engrave anyway : )

The CO2 laser will never affect aluminium. Not on the highest power or lowest speed settings.

Those Epilog machines were the best at the time. Made in USA. You could re-run the same job 100x times and every pixel would be in the exact spot“

If possible and with a maintainer next to me would like to try it. But waiting on Hammond to respond as to what the specifics of their coating is.

Would also like to try at the same time using the laser to expose a pcb layout whether sprayed coating or the photo sensitive one, but need to look into it a bit more.
Thoughts?
Thanks

On 17 Apr 2021, at 01:39, Dax Liniere <d...@puzzlefactory.uk> wrote:

Hey Luis, unfortunately not.

Jonathan Hodgson

Apr 17, 2021, 6:07:03 AM4/17/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You should have asked him what the paint was, that's the issue, not the laser.

Google "laser marking spray"

luis fidel

Apr 17, 2021, 6:10:47 AM4/17/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
He said

“Well I was engraving powder coating. Which is usually non-toxic polyester. “

But waiting to hear from Hammond the manufactures first

Sent from my iPhone

Jonathan Kalman

Apr 19, 2021, 7:17:55 AM4/19/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I have only just seen the replies - thanks for the ideas.  I do like the copper etching idea and will give it a go.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "London Hackspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/london-hack-space/AM6PR04MB6519AC86175A276903077912CC4B9%40AM6PR04MB6519.eurprd04.prod.outlook.com.