New pledge : Dry ice maker (£150)

Dave Durant

Apr 8, 2011, 1:34:33 PM4/8/11
to London Hackspace

> Not that I'm against dry ice but this is the sort of thing that's better as
> a pledge.

Duly noted:

http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Pledges/DryIceMaker

Sam Kelly

Apr 8, 2011, 1:44:25 PM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Dry ice is also really useful for cooling chemistry projects, mixed with acetone for a bath.

Sci

Apr 8, 2011, 7:02:03 PM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Dave Durant

Apr 9, 2011, 11:10:27 AM4/9/11
to London Hackspace

>> http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Pledges/DryIceMaker

> Can't you get the same result a lot cheaper just by tying a damp tea-towel over the end of
> a CO2 fire extinguisher's horn? Rather cheaper.

I don't know - has anyone on this list tried this? Is it safe /
practical?

Looks like a CO2 fire extinguisher is about £30 (http://goo.gl/4icNO)
which I'd just buy myself to test this out if people know this idea
works...

Adrian Godwin

Apr 9, 2011, 12:14:05 PM4/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The instructions say you need a dip tube in the c02 tank so you get liquid co2 out of the nozzle. i don't think a fire extinguisher will have that, as they'd be keen to avoid letting the liquid out.

-adrian

Dirk-Willem van Gulik

Apr 9, 2011, 3:13:29 PM4/9/11

On 9 apr 2011, at 18:14, Adrian Godwin wrote:

> The instructions say you need a dip tube in the c02 tank so you get liquid co2 out of the nozzle. i don't think a fire extinguisher will have that, as they'd be keen to avoid letting the liquid out.

Turning it upside down does the trick (for a bit - until the thing clogs up due to water/freeze).

Dw.

Mike

Apr 11, 2011, 9:57:42 AM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

This system does rely on consumables, ie 1Kg of LCO2 at £60 a throw.

http://www.allaboutice.com/dry-ice/dry_ice-products.html were the first
hit on Google and telephoning them for a quote, they charge £40 for 10Kg
including delivery and VAT. They can also supply in blocks, pellets,
etc, rather than just snow. Obviously the downside is that our system
can create dry ice on demand but for the price difference, can we live
with saving all our dry ice work* for a weekend and doing an order?

Also on the dry ice front, it is fairly easy to make it drop out of the
back of places, then it's *really* cheap.

Mike.
* Let's face it, this would be more accuratly described as "dicking
around".

signature.asc

Jim MacArthur

Apr 11, 2011, 11:22:35 AM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've bought dry ice from allaboutice before with no problems. I've seen the damp cloth over a fire extinguisher method before (which that £85 "dry ice maker" seems to be a slightly glorified version of) and IIRC you get very small quantities out of it, enough maybe for a classroom demo but not for anything more than that.

Robin Harrison

Apr 12, 2011, 7:28:38 AM4/12/11
to London Hackspace
On Apr 11, 4:22 pm, Jim MacArthur <j...@mode7.co.uk> wrote:
> I've bought dry ice from allaboutice before with no problems. I've seen the
> damp cloth over a fire extinguisher method before (which that £85 "dry ice
> maker" seems to be a slightly glorified version of) and IIRC you get very
> small quantities out of it, enough maybe for a classroom demo but not for
> anything more than that.

On Apr 11, 4:22 pm, Jim MacArthur <j...@mode7.co.uk> wrote:
> I've bought dry ice from allaboutice before with no problems. I've seen the
> damp cloth over a fire extinguisher method before (which that £85 "dry ice
> maker" seems to be a slightly glorified version of) and IIRC you get very
> small quantities out of it, enough maybe for a classroom demo but not for
> anything more than that.

I've been making dry-ice ice-cream for several years now, using Yara
Industrial over in Heathrow. I think it was something like £20 per
10kg slab, not including delivery.

FWIW I had to speak to a few companies before I found one that was
happy for it to be used *inside* food, so I'd be concerned about any
pollutants in either the fire extinguisher or CO2 tank. Obviously
RTFMing would help here.

Robin.
Wondering that if Vanilla Ice is as "Cool as Ice", and MC Hammer is
cooler than Vanilla Ice, does that mean that MC Hammer is as "Cool as
Dry Ice"?