Babbage and his scribing engines.

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Jun 2, 2011, 4:09:11 PM6/2/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The current location of Babbage, Lovelace and the two printers is less
than ideal, there is a huge rats nest of assorted cabling on the floor
behind them and the general layout of all the gear associated with them
could do with a thorough review.

I have a cunning plan! (well, actually two cunning plans, as will be seen
later...)

When the kitchen is finished, the space where the food is prepared now
will be cleared and the sink / water heater will be covered with a
worktop of some sort. (It will be impractical to move the sink or the
water heater and we would have to reinstate it anyway if we left.)

Cunning plan ye firste...

1/ Relocate the two printers to a purpose made shelf next to the library.
(where the chalkboard is now)
2/ Relocate Babbage to a shelf under the printerers.
3/ Relocate Lovelace and Makerbot to a desk roughly where the beer fridge
is now.
4/ Relocate Difference to the desk by the food fridge.

Cunning plan ye seckonde...

1/ Relocate the two printers to the worktop on the sink. (might even
shoehorn the vinyl cutter onto here as well?)
2/ Relocate Babbage to a shelf in the space to the right of the sink,
under the worktop.
3/ Relocate Lovelace and Makerbot to a desk roughly where the beer fridge
is now.
4/ Relocate Difference to the desk by the food fridge.

Either of these leave the rest of the room as a blank canvas with nothing
that is critically located.

As there is a separate discussion re. upgrading Babbage perhaps any moving
could coincide with the downtime needed for the upgrade. Or if an entirely
different machine were to be used as part of the upgrade then it could be
installed in the new position prior to commissioning.

Any comments?

Phil

Robert Leverington

Jun 2, 2011, 4:20:15 PM6/2/11
On 2011-06-02, cepm...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> When the kitchen is finished, the space where the food is prepared
> now will be cleared and the sink / water heater will be covered
> with a worktop of some sort. (It will be impractical to move the
> sink or the water heater and we would have to reinstate it anyway if
> we left.)

I was under the impression that moving the sink and water heater was
part of the kitchen plan.

Also, is it certain that we would be required to reinstate it, or is it
possible that Workspace Group will be happy with how we have re-
arranged the kitchen facilities?

How will we get hot water in the new kitchen?

Robert

Russ Garrett

Jun 2, 2011, 4:36:03 PM6/2/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

The water heater needs to stay in its current place to supply hot water to the toilets. There is a spare water heater in 23 which we can use for the new kitchen.

Charles Yarnold

Jun 2, 2011, 5:44:25 PM6/2/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Babbage is in his current place due to it controlling the board and lights. If we are going to change this and move it, it would be just as well to install it inside the rackmount in the quiet room.

Charles Yarnold

Jun 2, 2011, 5:45:17 PM6/2/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Also, this should be in the infrastructure list.

Adrian Godwin

Jun 2, 2011, 7:02:20 PM6/2/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Surely it's easier to pipe the hot water than move the heater ? It
will take a few seconds to run hot but it's still a much shorter pipe
run than most houses. And we've got to run cold water already so
there's already a need for plumbing. I suspect plastic pipe is cheaper
than suitably sized electric cable, too.

-adrian

Nigel Worsley

Jun 2, 2011, 7:30:55 PM6/2/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> I suspect plastic pipe is cheaper than suitably sized electric cable

Almost all plastic pipe is unsuitable for hot water. A heavy electric cable has to be run to the kitchen anyway
so I very much doubt that there is a cost saving. Cable is also easier to run than piping, and a lot less likely to
leak :-)

Is the water heater in unit 23 the one that feeds the sink and toilets? If it is then it may be better to leave it there
and get a new one, I think I can get one for free if required.

Nigle

Russ Garrett

Jun 2, 2011, 7:58:39 PM6/2/11
On 2 June 2011 22:44, Charles Yarnold <charles...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Babbage is in his current place due to it controlling the board and lights.
> If we are going to change this and move it, it would be just as well to
> install it inside the rackmount in the quiet room.

Our rack is a comms rack, not a server rack, it won't nearly be big
enough to fit a tower server like Babbage. We could put Babbage
underneath the rack, but it will increasingly compromise the quietness
of the quiet room.

On 3 June 2011 00:02, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And we've got to run cold water already so

> there's already a need for plumbing. I suspect plastic pipe is cheaper
> than suitably sized electric cable, too.

Perhaps, but I'd like to see it costed out.

On 3 June 2011 00:30, Nigel Worsley <nig...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Almost all plastic pipe is unsuitable for hot water.

I understand most new houses now use this new-fangled plastic stuff
for most of their hot and cold water piping. Having not used it
myself, I'm not sure of the cost, though.

> A heavy electric cable has to be run to the kitchen anyway
> so I very much doubt that there is a cost saving.

Well, we will either need to run several electric cables, or a single
large one and a distribution board (which is expensive in itself), so
I'm not sure it's that clear cut.

> Is the water heater in unit 23 the one that feeds the sink and toilets? If
> it is then it may be better to leave it there
> and get a new one, I think I can get one for free if required.

Nope, there is a spare one mounted on the wall behind the members
boxes in Unit 23. I'm not sure if it works, though.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Charles Yarnold

Jun 3, 2011, 5:05:01 AM6/3/11
On 3 June 2011 00:58, Russ Garrett <ru...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
On 2 June 2011 22:44, Charles Yarnold <charles...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Babbage is in his current place due to it controlling the board and lights.
> If we are going to change this and move it, it would be just as well to
> install it inside the rackmount in the quiet room.

Our rack is a comms rack, not a server rack, it won't nearly be big
enough to fit a tower server like Babbage. We could put Babbage
underneath the rack, but it will increasingly compromise the quietness
of the quiet room.

Ah, I thought babbage was being upgraded to a fanless solid state box, if thats not the case I agree the quiet room is no the place for him.

> Is the water heater in unit 23 the one that feeds the sink and toilets? If
> it is then it may be better to leave it there
> and get a new one, I think I can get one for free if required.

Nope, there is a spare one mounted on the wall behind the members
boxes in Unit 23. I'm not sure if it works, though.

It does :)

Sol