screw jack scaffold leveler

simon tyszko

Jul 23, 2016, 5:31:18 PM7/23/16
to London Hackspace

any one got any screw jacks laying around or any notions how to make something like this on a tiny budget... i want to fix some scaffold upright floor to ceiling, to make some shelves.....

Ta simon

Adrian Godwin

Jul 23, 2016, 6:17:46 PM7/23/16
to london-hack-space

You can often find 'machine feet' in engineering scrap. They're rubber padded feet with a substantial thread M10 at least on them - for an example, see the laser cutter. They can either be screwed into a thread in the bottom of the machine or supported by a nut and washer in a plain hole.

Billy

Jul 23, 2016, 6:55:56 PM7/23/16
to London Hackspace

The ones that i wombled from skips were invariably suffering from damage to the thread, so while they would be an interesting exercise in understanding the limits of what they can do, as tools, if you just want the functional object itself, then you can find them in almost any street market that sells hardware, the tools section of Brick Lane, or the Waste Market on Kingsland road.

You can always find some advertised on Gumtree, but the quality is very variable.

You'll also have to watch for the ones that are galvanised, as they aren't safe to weld, and they never polish up as nicely as the stainless steel versions.

Have you tried asking at any of the builder's yards? They'll be a little rough around the edges, but the tools we have, means that making them look good won't be difficult.

simon tyszko

Jul 23, 2016, 7:47:03 PM7/23/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
all fab ideas ta... I've not looked on gumtree nor markets yet...
domestic scaffolding is rather fun i must say......

Philip Roy

Jul 24, 2016, 8:36:47 AM7/24/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Just opposite Hoxton station in one of the railway arches next to our old premises is a company that makes raised access flooring. This is supported on similar screwjacks.

They are rather imaginatively named "Raised Access Flooring Company"  (RAFC)

Phil

--
" et cognoscetis veritatem et veritas liberabit vos "