Britannia Lathe

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

May 26, 2011, 11:40:07 AM5/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

One of the many nice things to have been rescued from the Crystal Palace
site is a smallish lathe that now resides upon the very solid table made
by Dirk. It came with quite a few accessories and an enormous number of
cutting tools and drills etc. I have made a little rack on the back of the
table for some of the the accessories.

It is essentially complete needing only a lay shaft and a belt to get it
back into service. Sam LR and I have already cleaned up the cross slide
and the compound slide which now work smoothly. Close inspection of the
other critical parts shows no major problems, a general clean and
adjustment is all that is needed there. The shaft and belt are standard
parts so should not prove difficult to obtain(and could be made. There are
some missing teeth on some of the interchangeable gears, this will only
create a problem if the machine is used for screw cutting and even then
only when cutting certain pitches.

As is, there are a lot of exposed moving parts at the headstock. A
suitable guard will have to be fitted, what I have in mind is a simple box
that just drops over the relevant area. The motor will also need a similar
arrangement.

While the lathe is being prepared please leave it covered up, this will 1/
protect the loose bits lying on the table and 2/ (hopefully) discourage
the dumping of random scrap on it.

More information as the restoration progresses.... Meanwhile if there is
another raid on the CP site could our intrepid scavengers look out for any
Pulleys/belts/ shafting similar to the existing pulley and belt on the
headstock.

Phil

Adrian Godwin

May 26, 2011, 4:14:24 PM5/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Is it a V-belt ? I have a stock of used ones, if you can give me an
approximate size. May have a pulley too. I've seen the lathe (it's
nice ! it seems to have acquired a myford cross-slide!) but a pic
would be handy.

-adrian

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

May 26, 2011, 6:05:01 PM5/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it would be a V belt, it would need to be long enough to go from the
layshaft to wherever it is most convenient to mount the motor, I favour
mounting it under the table out of the way. The pulleys on the layshaft
would need to be about 100mm dia or so. The standard "Picador" type would
suit. If all else fails then it would be easy enough to turn a pulley from
a large-ish bit of aluminium.

On Thu, 26 May 2011 21:14:24 +0100, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com>

Adrian Godwin

May 26, 2011, 6:26:55 PM5/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
So about 2m long ? I almost certainly have something for that. Do you
already have a shorter
one for the layshaft to spindle ?

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

May 26, 2011, 6:36:57 PM5/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes, It is attached to the spindle.

On Thu, 26 May 2011 23:26:55 +0100, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So about 2m long ? I almost certainly have something for that. Do you

Sci

May 26, 2011, 6:52:26 PM5/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Nigel Worsley

May 26, 2011, 7:00:00 PM5/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Do we have a dividing head anywhere? If so we could make replacement
> gears on the multimill?

No, but there is a rotary table so if you don't mind working out the numbers it can be done. A suitable
gear hob will probably be required, but that might be amongst the tooling that we received.

Nigle