Hackvan

Glen

May 23, 2011, 6:04:10 AM5/23/11
to London Hackspace
The Hackvan went missing this weekend. Does anyone know where it is?

Glen

Mike

May 23, 2011, 8:23:59 AM5/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 03:04:10AM -0700, Glen wrote:
> The Hackvan went missing this weekend. Does anyone know where it is?
>
> Glen

Are we still in possession of the keys?

Mike.

signature.asc

Robert Leverington

May 23, 2011, 9:29:51 AM5/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Yes.

Robert

Sci

May 23, 2011, 9:39:57 AM5/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Mark Steward

May 23, 2011, 9:42:11 AM5/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
<snip annoying header>

On 23/05/2011 14:29, Robert Leverington wrote:
> On 2011-05-23, Mike wrote:
>> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 03:04:10AM -0700, Glen wrote:
>>> The Hackvan went missing this weekend. Does anyone know where it is?
>>>
>>> Glen
>>>

>> Are we still in possession of the keys?
>
> Yes.
>
> Robert

Keys + no van = uh oh.

It is a tatty looking vehicle though, and hadn't been used in a while,
so maybe check with site security? Maybe there was a mix-up and they've
had it towed?

<snip annoying footer>

We've been discussing this at length on IRC.  The building management haven't replied yet, it's not on any "towed" databases, and it's been given a crime reference number.  Rest assured we're looking into it.

Mark

Russ Garrett

May 23, 2011, 9:57:20 AM5/23/11
On 23 May 2011 14:42, Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The building management
> haven't replied yet, it's not on any "towed" databases, and it's been given
> a crime reference number.  Rest assured we're looking into it.

The building management have replied - Glen rang them. It hasn't been towed.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Glen

May 23, 2011, 10:08:30 AM5/23/11
to London Hackspace
I noticed the van missing on Saturday when delivering a lathe. No body
appears to have towed it. It was reported missing today to the police
and insurance company. The insurance policy should give me 60% of the
van's value back (if they pay up).

Glen

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

May 23, 2011, 1:19:59 PM5/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You`ll be lucky!

No proper window = vehicle not secured = "we ain`t gonna pay"

Unless you fail to mention the windows :-)

Toby Catlin

May 23, 2011, 3:01:48 PM5/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
What windows?

Mike

May 23, 2011, 7:31:10 PM5/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 03:04:10AM -0700, Glen wrote:
> The Hackvan went missing this weekend. Does anyone know where it is?
>
> Glen

Was that thing actually roadworthy?

Also, what's the number plate?

Mike.

signature.asc

Kussic ☠

May 24, 2011, 7:26:54 PM5/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Wait, so someone actually stole a vehicle from within the business building? Erm... Eh?! You know the same building that has guards and gates...

Sci

May 24, 2011, 8:06:32 PM5/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Russ Garrett

May 24, 2011, 8:07:25 PM5/24/11
On 25 May 2011 00:26, Kussic ☠ <kus...@chaos6.net> wrote:
> Wait, so someone actually stole a vehicle from within the business building?
> Erm... Eh?! You know the same building that has guards and gates...

Yep. And you expect the lowest-bidder security guard to know who owns
every vehicle parked there?

It's security theatre, and someone called us on it. This is neither
surprising, nor negligence.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

May 24, 2011, 8:42:33 PM5/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Not to mention the gates on to Nazrul Street having been open 24hrs for
about a week while the workers were laying the new asphalt on our floor.

On Wed, 25 May 2011 01:07:25 +0100, Russ Garrett <ru...@garrett.co.uk>
wrote:

Russ Garrett

May 25, 2011, 4:06:00 AM5/25/11
On 25 May 2011 01:42, <cepm...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Not to mention the gates on to Nazrul Street having been open 24hrs for
> about a week while the workers were laying the new asphalt on our floor.

Ah, interesting, I very rarely even see that gate.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Martin G4GRS

May 25, 2011, 6:10:43 AM5/25/11
to London Hackspace
Do we have any pictures?

Martin
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

Martin G4GRS

May 25, 2011, 6:12:42 AM5/25/11
to London Hackspace
Do we have any pictures?

Martin

On May 24, 12:31 am, Mike <hacksp...@norgie.net> wrote:
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

May 25, 2011, 8:22:04 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I guess the next hackvan will have gps and other trickery to keep a tab on it's whereabouts?

Sci

May 25, 2011, 8:39:54 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Mark Steward

May 25, 2011, 8:57:28 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
<snip crap>

Nice idea, but lets start with a full compliment of windows.

Windows is completely awesome.

samthetechie

May 25, 2011, 9:20:40 AM5/25/11
to London Hackspace
Sod getting the next one stolen... what about a wheel clamp, a
steering wheel lock and a nice little high def camera pointed towards
the parking spot?

Sci

May 25, 2011, 9:32:26 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Jim Hayes

May 25, 2011, 9:42:45 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Removing the rotor arm pretty well guarantees it won't get nicked.
Unless it's at the top of a hill, - as I once found out.
Couldn't work it out, until I found it in the car park at the bottom
with busted locks and ignition :(
The steering wheel being missing might avoid someone trying I guess!

Phish

May 25, 2011, 9:44:04 AM5/25/11
to London Hackspace
It has only just occurred to me.
About two or three weeks ago, a couple of gentlemen knocked on the
door at the hackspace inquiring as to whether or not the hackvan was
for sale. Now call me paranoid if you will, but these gentlemen
looked somewhat disreputable, and I'm drawing a correlation between
their sudden interest and the fact that the van is now missing...

If there is a way to check the doorcam footage from a while back, we
may be able to come up with a picture of at least one of them?

Nick Boyle

May 25, 2011, 10:00:38 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
From my own bitter experience of getting *very clear* CCTV footage of someone stealing my bike, finding the person via networking on YouTube etc (bloke was from Hackney), finding damning evidence against him, the CPS did sweet FA and decided not to prosecute. Best advice would be to track it and hunt it down. Otherwise, once it's gone, it's gone. You could build a GPS perimeter fence around it. However, if it's standing for long periods, not a great idea to be draining the battery constantly? You just need a simple old phone running Latitude and reporting in to a server. Quite simple and effective.

6tricky9

May 25, 2011, 1:20:14 PM5/25/11
to London Hackspace
Sorry to be unsympathetic but nobody seemed interested in the van
until it went missing. How long has it been taking up a parking
place? Had any work been done on it? Not to my knowledge. The most
essential repair in order to get an MoT, AND TO MAKE IT MORE SECURE,
was the replacement off-side drop-glass. I spent time sourcing a
brand new one for £130 fitted (which I considered a reasonable price)
but nobody was interested.

C'est la vie.

Richard

Mark Steward

May 25, 2011, 1:27:42 PM5/25/11
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM, 6tricky9 <6tri...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry to be unsympathetic but nobody seemed interested in the van
until it went missing.  How long has it been taking up a parking
place?  Had any work been done on it?  Not to my knowledge.  The most
essential repair in order to get an MoT, AND TO MAKE IT MORE SECURE,

Glen had replaced the engine before offering it, and was using it to do beer runs.  It already had a valid MoT, and was in a "secure" car park.  So it's a shame, but a thief would just as easily have jacked the doors and we'd be have lost something valuable.

was the replacement off-side drop-glass.  I spent time sourcing a
brand new one for £130 fitted (which I considered a reasonable price)
but nobody was interested.

I hope you don't feel offended by this.  The delay was because we thought we learned we could source a window from Japan for considerably cheaper.  Your offer was time limited and required immediate payment.

C'est la vie.

The hackvan was only suffered under the belief that it would have little impact on other members.  I think it managed that.

Mark

6tricky9

May 25, 2011, 1:49:16 PM5/25/11
to London Hackspace

> Glen had replaced the engine before offering it, and was using it to do beer
> runs.  It already had a valid MoT, and was in a "secure" car park.  So it's
> a shame, but a thief would just as easily have jacked the doors and we'd be
> have lost something valuable.

I didn't realize that it had an MoT, however, it certainly wasn't
roadworthy or secure, and it wouldn't have passed another test.

> > was the replacement off-side drop-glass.  I spent time sourcing a
> > brand new one for £130 fitted (which I considered a reasonable price)
> > but nobody was interested.
>
> I hope you don't feel offended by this.  The delay was because we thought we
> learned we could source a window from Japan for considerably cheaper.  Your
> offer was time limited and required immediate payment.

I'm certainly not offended Mark; nobody asked me to source any glass.
I did it because I have a friend in the windscreen business and I
thought that he could help. I just think that it's a shame that the
van wasn't made more secure when the opportunity was there.

Sorry for any misconceptions.

Richard