Bandsaw

j.r.h...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2021, 11:26:00 AM4/16/21
to London Hackspace
I thought I’d take a look at what needed to happen with the bandsaw so we can make a plan.
First thing is the top guide is not even close to being correctly adjusted, second is I cannot find the lower guide.
I’ve had a look around the room and also in the two locked cupboards, anybody else have an idea where it is?

Regards

Jonathan

Dax Liniere

Apr 16, 2021, 8:42:32 PM4/16/21
to London Hackspace

Hey Jonathan.
Is the lower guide something one of us could fabricate? Is it the ballbearing part or the part with the pair of angled square bar rods to stabilise the blade?

Cheers,
Dax.

Jonathan Hodgson

Apr 16, 2021, 9:00:37 PM4/16/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dax, I don't know what the configuration of the lower guide is, because I don't have a picture.

It's the bottom half of this

http://www.accessories4woodsaws.com/strg.html

Going by the prices of the two items I'm going to guess it's a little simpler, but not much.

The mounting block (red anodized aluminium) is attached to the machine, but I couldn't find the guide. Apparently, it was removed a little while before the last lockdown and was left near the bandsaw.

I don't know why anybody would nick it, so I'm hoping that it was moved to a safe place (or that it's dropped down somewhere that I didn't spot it)

Jonathan Hodgson

Apr 16, 2021, 9:27:11 PM4/16/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Dax,

With respect to one of us fabricating it.

!) I do not believe that it is something that should be bodged together. I'm not a maintainer on the bandsaw and they get the final say, but in my personal opinion the bandsaw is a large dangerous device and the guides need to be properly made for safety and precisely made so we can cut accurately.
2) I think we do have the tooling and people with the skillset in the machine shop to do the job properly, however, the value of the time somebody would have to put in is probably more than the retail cost of the unit (bear in mind this person would be doing a one off design and build, whereas the manufacturer designed theirs years ago and builds them in bulk). So it only makes sense if they find it an interesting project.
3) We already own the thing, somebody must know what happened to it.

deanforbes

Apr 17, 2021, 6:17:03 AM4/17/21
to London Hackspace
The bandsaw is out of service and is not to be used - it will need to be approved by a director before it is put back into service

At this point there is a missing part that needs to be addressed, any use of or attempted use of them machine could injure the operator and will damage the machine further

Jonathan Hodgson

Apr 17, 2021, 6:46:24 AM4/17/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Dean,

Just to make it clear, I had no intention of using the bandsaw, or of attempting to do any work on it without maintainer approval (i,e, I'd have spoken to you first, I hope you know me well enough to know that). But since I was in the space anyway, and it seems from previous exchanges that there were some attempted to fix the bandsaw by non-maintainers after it was officially taken out of service I was just taking a look to establish the current state of play and feed the information back.

The current state of play appears to be that one of the guides, which I seem to recall you said was left near the bandsaw, has gone AWOL.

regards

Jonathan

deanforbes

Apr 17, 2021, 11:18:02 AM4/17/21
to London Hackspace
My post was simply to ensure that no further damage is done to the Bandsaw - I meant no offence to anyone

the solution is purchase or make a part ....... if the original does not turn up

Dax Liniere Puzzle Factory

Apr 17, 2021, 11:59:45 AM4/17/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, deanforbes

All good, Dean! I'm sure no-one was offended. :)
I guess we all just want to pitch in. If we weren't makers/fixers, we wouldn't be members.

Cheers!

Dax Liniere
Record producer | Mixer | Engineer

PUZZLE FACTORY SOUND STUDIOS Winston Churchill Fellow 2012
London, UK

Phone: +44 (0)747 0747 750
www.puzzlefactory.uk
www.MixDirection.com

We are 100% carbon neutral

UK company number: 10187067

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "London Hackspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/london-hack-space/16ecf297-086c-42e3-bab8-5f16f83ca3fcn%40googlegroups.com.

Des Quilty

Apr 22, 2021, 6:52:50 AM4/22/21
to London Hackspace
Happy to have a look and see if I can repair the part if we can find it..

Jonathan Hodgson

Apr 22, 2021, 7:39:50 AM4/22/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Des,

Other than the damage to the backplate from contact with the saw (which I heard was not so bad as to affect the rigidity) I think pretty much the only thing that can go wrong is shot bearings, which should be easily replaceable.

I suspect the issue was probably more one of adjustment.

I don't know why anyone would take it, and being quite noticeable I'd be surprised if anyone binned i inadvertently, so I'm holding out a little hope that it was either moved somewhere not obvious, or that it got knocked off a table or shelf and has slid down in some nook or cranny and I didn't spot it.

Saying that, I can search for things for days at home only to have them magically appear in full view.

I'm still waiting for the garage to tell me I can go and collect my car, so I don't know how soon I can go into the space to search further.

deanforbes

Apr 23, 2021, 4:52:48 AM4/23/21
to London Hackspace
I suspect the route with the greatest chance of success and least friction is to purchase a new part
PART NUMBER STRG - LOWER = £79.50+Vat    http://www.accessories4woodsaws.com/strg.html

who would chip in say 10 or 20 quid to sort this

The way to ensure serviceable machinery is in my mind more use and people having a feeling of ownership .... if you see something being abused suggest to the person using it that they should not be doing it like "that" if you dont when it comes to you wanting to use it then it may not function if you dont

Also the more people in using the workshop if the people all look out for the space then the less chance of kit being knackered

 I do acknowledge at the moment with COVID full on use is not encouraged at all

Echo_12th

Apr 23, 2021, 5:13:22 AM4/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll chip in £20.

Aidas

michael....@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2021, 7:02:16 AM4/25/21
to London Hackspace
count me in for 20 as well

Erica Calogero

Apr 25, 2021, 6:19:06 PM4/25/21
to London Hackspace
I can chip in 20 or so too.

Claude Cochet

Apr 26, 2021, 1:58:27 AM4/26/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Paddy Duncan

Apr 26, 2021, 3:08:55 AM4/26/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

And £10 here covers it…

Let’s do it – Dean are you volunteering to order the thing? Let us know…

The pledge page is here:

https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Pledge:_Bandsaw_Guide

Just pay into our account with ref BSGUIDE and mark yourselves PAID on the wiki page when done… :)

Thanks everyone.

Paddy

Jozef Riskalcik

Apr 26, 2021, 4:42:07 AM4/26/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk
I checked wiki and it seems that pledges filled £100. But if you need some more I'll chip my £10. Let me know.

Erica Calogero

Apr 26, 2021, 6:05:06 AM4/26/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Josef, I'm happy to pay £10 instead so you can chip in £10. :)

--
Erica Calogero

Jozef Riskalcik

Apr 26, 2021, 6:12:20 AM4/26/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
👍😁 OK. I've added my pledge and changed yours in wiki.

deanforbes

Apr 26, 2021, 11:19:36 AM4/26/21
to London Hackspace
Good stuff

If some one could confirm the model number I will get it ordered

michael....@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2021, 3:09:36 PM4/26/21
to London Hackspace
paid

Paddy Duncan

May 8, 2021, 3:55:27 AM5/8/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

Bump…..

Where are we at?

Paddy

Erica Calogero

May 8, 2021, 4:41:39 AM5/8/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Jozef Riskalcik

May 8, 2021, 7:34:03 AM5/8/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It seems that everybody has paid 👍👍👍😁

deanforbes

May 20, 2021, 5:21:33 AM5/20/21
to London Hackspace
as it happens the cost of the parts are more than estimated - we need an additional 35 quid

Jonathan Hodgson

May 20, 2021, 6:12:55 AM5/20/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Arthur Fabre