Gamejam! 22nd - 23rd October?

George Buckenham

Sep 6, 2011, 5:07:51 AM9/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

So I've been thinking of having another gamejam. Is anyone interested in a weekend of game making? The weekend of the 22nd and 23rd October appears vacant on the calendar, so I'd like to bagsy it if I can.

I was thinking as a theme: making the games that appear sketched on the website http://gametoilet.posterous.com .  Every day, a new bizarre game idea is posted, and it seems a shame so many languish unmade. Of course, if you have your own idea to work upon, that's allowed too. Although if you haven't seen the site, you should as it is hilarious and full of good ideas and bad puns.

As always, any degree of skill and experience is welcome - people will be happy to give you a hand with whatever and help point you in the direction of tools for any skill level. And there will be people looking to collaborate, if you are an artist/programmer/writer/musician and you want to collaborate with people with complementary skills. And it'll be fun!

-George

Martin

Sep 6, 2011, 5:16:03 AM9/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes, definately, missed the last one, so itching to get to work on something cool

Richard Fine

Sep 6, 2011, 5:50:08 AM9/6/11
On 9/6/2011 10:07 AM, George Buckenham wrote:
> So I've been thinking of having another gamejam. Is anyone interested in a
> weekend of game making? The weekend of the 22nd and 23rd October appears vacant
> on the calendar, so I'd like to bagsy it if I can.

I'd be up for this.

- Richard

Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale

Sep 6, 2011, 5:56:18 AM9/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd be up for this. I love the theme, though a lot of those games really do look quite bad -- maybe the challenge would be to take such a bad-looking concept and make it fun?

There are plenty of good ideas there, also, but where's the fun in implementing a good idea? ;-)

Nicholas

Martin

Sep 6, 2011, 6:10:27 AM9/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
maybe we should do a game themed around trying to wake up lazy hackers around the space :P

Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale

Sep 6, 2011, 10:12:49 AM9/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Actually a game where you had to keep a number of hackers awake for the longest time in order to make the most projects would be pretty fun.

If you lose and they all fall asleep, you get an unskippable cutscene featuring 50 pages of scrolling mailing list messages.

Nicholas

George Buckenham

Sep 16, 2011, 3:22:31 PM9/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Alright, there is now a Eventbrite set up for this. If you want to come along, put down your name! It's free, but it seems worth ticketing to give some idea of numbers.

http://gamejamtoilet.eventbrite.com/

(Also you should come along, it will be ace)

--George

PhilipClevberger

Sep 17, 2011, 8:10:49 AM9/17/11
to London Hackspace
I'd love to join in,
are there any "rules", as in what to use to make the games etc.
Are you allowed to bring stuff you already started on to finnish it
off etc?

Cheers
/Phil

On Sep 6, 10:07 am, George Buckenham <v.twenty....@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I've been thinking of having another gamejam. Is anyone interested in a
> weekend of game making? The weekend of the 22nd and 23rd October appears
> vacant on the calendar, so I'd like to bagsy it if I can.
>
> I was thinking as a theme: making the games that appear sketched on the
> websitehttp://gametoilet.posterous.com.  Every day, a new bizarre game

George Buckenham

Sep 17, 2011, 9:34:56 AM9/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
No rules as to what to make the games with - I'd personally welcome with open arms people making a boardgame, card game, or the rules to a game which involves making gestures at other people, to take it to an extreme. Whatever you know best, or are curious about working with.

You can bring in stuff you've already been working on, but it's far less fun if you just grind your way through things you're already doing. But on the other hand, reusing engine code, framework stuff, libraries is an excellent idea to be able to produce something decent over a short time frame. It's a nice excuse for not feeling guilty about setting aside an existing project and ploughing into something new...

--G