[london-hack-space] Sugru

Glen

Oct 3, 2011, 6:24:10 AM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
I've put a tub of Sugru sachets next to the donation boxes.

It's a stable silicon rubber putty that is easy to mould. It's hard
after an hour. After a day it's dish-washer safe and can take
temperatures up to 180ºC.

I got 100 sachets, if the money in the donation tin covers another
order there will be more.

http://sugru.com/gallery

spooq

Oct 3, 2011, 6:28:54 AM10/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
huh, nice.

how much is it? do you put a catalyst with it, or does the air make it go off?

Luke

Tim Storey

Oct 3, 2011, 6:33:02 AM10/3/11
On 03/10/2011 11:24, Glen wrote:
> I've put a tub of Sugru sachets next to the donation boxes.
>
> It's a stable silicon rubber putty that is easy to mould. It's hard
> after an hour. After a day it's dish-washer safe and can take
> temperatures up to 180�C.

> I got 100 sachets, if the money in the donation tin covers another
> order there will be more.
>
> http://sugru.com/gallery
excellent, how much is a sachet ?

Dave Ingram

Oct 3, 2011, 6:58:39 AM10/3/11
On 03/10/11 11:28, spooq wrote:
> huh, nice.
>
> how much is it? do you put a catalyst with it, or does the air make it go off?
It cures in room-temperature/pressure air over ~24hrs (depending on
sugru thickness and temperature). It's useful stuff, and it doesn't
stick to cling film or surfaces covered in washing-up liquid. Wrapping a
pen in cling film and then wrapping a spiral of sugru around it makes a
useful cable tidy once it's cured :-)

> Luke
>
> On 3 October 2011 11:24, Glen <glen....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've put a tub of Sugru sachets next to the donation boxes.
>>
>> It's a stable silicon rubber putty that is easy to mould. It's hard
>> after an hour. After a day it's dish-washer safe and can take

>> temperatures up to 180�C.

Mike

Oct 3, 2011, 8:43:42 AM10/3/11
On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 03:24:10AM -0700, Glen wrote:
> I've put a tub of Sugru sachets next to the donation boxes.
>
> It's a stable silicon rubber putty that is easy to mould. It's hard
> after an hour. After a day it's dish-washer safe and can take
> temperatures up to 180?C.

> I got 100 sachets, if the money in the donation tin covers another
> order there will be more.
>
> http://sugru.com/gallery

Is there a figure that you are aiming to recoup per sachet taken or are
you planning to run an economic experient to see how HackSpace members
pecieved valule of the product matches the retail price?

Mike.

signature.asc

Dave Ingram

Oct 3, 2011, 8:45:21 AM10/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Looking at the site, it should be ~�1/sachet to recoup costs.

Glen

Oct 3, 2011, 9:54:36 AM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
The cost to me is a little over £1 each. I've put the price at £1.25
as I expect some to go missing, though if there's a surpuls of cash
I'll put the price down.

tom

Oct 3, 2011, 9:58:35 AM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
can it be painted and worked with after setting?
Can I sand it to a lovely shiny finish?

scary boots

Oct 3, 2011, 10:02:46 AM10/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Glen

Oct 3, 2011, 10:50:14 AM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
On Oct 3, 2:58 pm, tom <bollocks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> can it be painted and worked with after setting?
> Can I sand it to a lovely shiny finish?

Wipe if with a soapy cloth before it sets for a lovely shiny finish.