Hello! Open days during covid?

nik loynes

Jan 11, 2022, 2:03:03 AM1/11/22
to London Hackspace
Hi everyone,

thanks for letting me join this mailing list!
I'm Nik, and I'm really keen to learn more about the hackspace. I work as a software / data engineer, but I'm quite new to the idea of 'making' and hacking non-code stuff. I've been messing around with Raspberry Pis and the like, and am keen to learn more, mainly about building circuits, hacking existing ones and 3d printing useful everyday stuff, e.g. for my bike.

I would love to come to the Tuesday open day - perhaps not this week, but next - but given the covid sitch I figured I'd best ask before embarking on the journey - I live in Tottenham, so it's a bit of a trek. Also if covid tests or vaccine passports are needed, I'm happy to take care of that of course.

All the best,

Anthony Corless

Jan 12, 2022, 2:08:04 PM1/12/22
to London Hackspace
Hi Nik!

If you take a look at our website, you can see if the hackspace is currently open under 'COVID-19 Coronavirus Current Status'.
And our requirements for being COVID-safe are listed in the description of the open evening event on our calendar.

Hope that helps, and hope to see you soon!
-Anthony (he/she)

nik loynes

Jan 13, 2022, 2:38:38 PM1/13/22
to London Hackspace
awesome! many thanks, anthony.

Ryan Hynes

Jan 15, 2022, 10:58:24 AM1/15/22
to London Hackspace
Hey all,

I'm in much the same boat as Nik and was planning on dropping by Tuesday evening as well.

Used to be part of the South Side Hackerspace in Chicago and keen to get back into it: https://sshchicago.org/

See ya tuesday!
-ryan

Anthony Corless

Jan 16, 2022, 5:32:06 AM1/16/22
to London Hackspace
Hey all,

I may have spoken too soon - even if the space is open, that doesn't guarantee someone with a key card will be there to let you in or show you around.
Someone's in most nights from what I've heard, but you'd still be taking a risk unless someone here promises to be there (I'll be busy 😞).

So, er... anyooone....?

-Anthony (he/she)

Dragos M.

Jan 16, 2022, 6:37:11 AM1/16/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning to come in on Tuesday (I have a card), if my plans change I'll post an update in here.
Also the buzzer seems to be out of order so you might have to knock on the window or just set up a time you're likely to arrive at.

Thanks
Dragos

pad...@padski.co.uk

Jan 16, 2022, 6:39:59 AM1/16/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

What buzzer is out of order?

Tell us and someone might fix it…

Paddy

Anthony Corless

Jan 16, 2022, 6:44:25 AM1/16/22
to London Hackspace
Well, while we're here... Is anyone planning on coming in *before* Tuesday? I'd very much like to set up an RFID card :)

-Anthony (he/she)

Dragos M.

Jan 16, 2022, 6:44:49 AM1/16/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The front door one, I don't think it's broken though, heard it was turned off because it would get activated from welding or something like that. Likely an interference, I've no idea how it's wired.
Long story short it was deactivated on last Tuesday evening and people would wait outside the door and one gentleman knocked on the window to let us know, that's why I've warned these guys to do the same in case the buzzer won't ring.

Erica Calogero

Jan 16, 2022, 6:53:25 AM1/16/22
to London Hackspace
I can confirm from last night, I tried ringing the doorbell and no-one answered. Also my keycard wasn't working on the front door, but that may be because I'ts been trhough some magnetic environments. Knocking on the window didn't help, but fortunately there were people in the cage who coould let me in.

All the best,

Erica.

Jonathan Hodgson

Jan 16, 2022, 7:23:53 AM1/16/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Actually, this reminded to report what I discovered last night (I was the last person in the space), though it was rather different to what people are reporting here.

When I went to go out of the front door I found that the door opening switch did not work, I tried it several times but the door would not open, I had to use my card on the reader to unlock the door, then I was surprised to find the door caught on the door closer. This was because the door closer was sagging lower than it should, the mounting of the door closer on the wall is damaged, like it got pulled beyond the maximum limit with some significant force.

I checked the switch again after I came back in, and it still didn't work.

I can't see how those two issues could be related, though it seems quite a coincidence that they should both happen at the same time.

Jonathan

deanforbes

Jan 16, 2022, 7:55:26 AM1/16/22
to London Hackspace
the front door ..... the button does work (at this point) but it needs a firm press it may be in the process of failing
the pin for the locking mechanism drops if the door is propped open or  in other rare use cases

The space does need mainatnce to stay open, we rely on member to help with this, perhaps it time to start thinging about another space work day

There are a number of people who have talked about running a induction weekend which I feel is a great idea ...   in a few day I will start another thread on that

nik loynes

Jan 17, 2022, 1:30:51 PM1/17/22
to London Hackspace
OK, so I'd love to swing by tomorrow evening, and will check back on this thread before leaving, but it sounds like Dragos and Ryan will be there?

arthur tinsley

Jan 18, 2022, 2:16:41 PM1/18/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I have largely fixed the front door. The primary issue was that the bolt holding the closing arm to the mechanism was basically fully undone, meaning the arm had skipped a bunch of teeth and was no longer under any tension when the door closed. This in turn meant the natural resting place for the door was partially open, this not only caused the previously 'known' issue of the pin dropping but then timing out but also gave the appearance that the door would not open from the inside as you needed to push on the door whilst pressing the RTE. I have adjusted the closer appropriately and that seems to now be sorted.
The RTE button probably does need to be replaced as maybe one in ten times it fails to make contact.
The doorbell itself is working, however the announcement coming out of the speakers seems to be.... Intermittent. Will continue investigating, as I type the doorbell just worked so......!

Erica Calogero

Jan 18, 2022, 6:08:31 PM1/18/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Arthur! If there's anything I can do on Sat, let me know.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "London Hackspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/london-hack-space/CAL9Uhg_e4nO-JCnwWgftbk%2B%2BWc4HGCcbbDFMA4FSEypZCn-38A%40mail.gmail.com.