LHS Lite internal fit-out - build starts tomorrow, members needed!

j.r.h...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2024, 3:44:21 PMFeb 20
to London Hackspace
Hi all, sorry for the late notice, but we have some news to share.
As you may know from various discord conversations, we've been thinking for a while of low-cost ways to quickly get the space we have in EX2 up and running
To that end, the local branch of Builder Depot has very kindly agreed to donate a bunch of materials to help us build some light internal partitions. These will be used to subdivide the space into 2 main regions. There will be a quiet space for laser cutting, 3d printing, electronics and similar craft activities. Meanwhile, the other half can be used for wood and metal activities (eventually with a roof to contain most of the noise and dust). It might not be the space we had at Ujima, but we hope it will be a lot better than what we've had for the last year!

Our materials will be delivered tomorrow so we plan to start right away! Task 1 tomorrow will be getting the materials inside, the space cleared and ourselves organized. After that, we'll start putting a wall up.

There are a couple of quick concept screenshots attached that show the idea of what we're aiming for - we also have some detailed drawings, which we'll share once we've given them a quick refresh and update tomorrow morning

Why are you telling us now?

We realize that 24 hours notice on a Wednesday was not much warning - we didn't want to tell everyone about the support of Builder Depot until it was confirmed a few hours ago. But don't worry, this build will take at least a few weeks so there will be plenty of other times to come help - we'll keep you posted on when these sessions will be once we've lined up a bit of a timeline.

But when can I access it!

You may also have gathered by now than an IPv6 internet line - needed to run the collection of servers that make up our door access system - was fitted a few weeks ago. A bunch of members are hard at work on them getting them re-booted and connected - success looks imminent and we should then have fully functional access control software

We've fitted a Mag lock to our internal door, so we can connect that up and run it as soon as there's software control. Unfortunately, we don't have our own external door right now, so can't resume full 24-hour member access until that's sorted. Our landlord is currently looking into the technicalities of this but we're hoping of a result soon.

How does this fit into the long term plan?

What we're doing now is intended to be a low cost, 'easy win' development that get us open so we can enjoy the space that we have and rebuild our community. We can probably work in this 'lite mode' for a while - all the key bits of equipment can operate, and there are plenty of successful hackspaces around that are thriving with much less space - but we still plan to apply for grant funding to build out a mezzanine structure for a long-term home if we stay at EX2. We'll keep the build of these walls light and flexible, so we can re-deploy them in another version of the space once funding comes through.

What next?

If you're interested and able to come help tomorrow, just turn up at EX2 from 18:30, and message us if you have any questions.
Beyond that, we'll let you know more as and when we know!

Regards

The Trustees

LHS-Lite Walls.pngLHS-Lite Ceiling.png

Toby Molyneux

Feb 21, 2024, 4:21:04 AMFeb 21
to London Hackspace
Adding to Jonathan's post, there's now a wiki page containing the wall construction detail and a draft layout/ groundplan: https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/EX2_'LHS_Lite'_Fit-Out

Jonathan Hodgson

Feb 27, 2024, 10:58:36 AMFeb 27
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Good progress was made last week and we will continue tomorrow night provided there are enough hands available.

Hope to see some of you there.

regards

Jonathan