Sewing Class on the 15th of June

Benjamin Blundell

May 28, 2013, 6:45:05 AM5/28/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Further to the previous email and the Doodle Poll, the 15th of June seemed like a good time :)

On behalf of Katie, who is currently in The Gambia, here is some blurb! :)

Ever wanted to be able to handle a sewing machine or a needle and thread? Whether you want to be able to  shorten a pair of trousers neatly, to hide an arduino and some wring inside a jacket, or to stitch up a natty three-piece tweed suit, it's probably easier than you think to get started. This session will include an introduction for complete beginners, but if you have a project on the go or in mind, feel free to bring that along as well. Sign up, and then email to let Katie <katie_e...@yahoo.co.uk> know what you'd like to make - she can help you work out what you'll need to bring along in the way of fabric, thread and other bits and bobs, and where to get them.

Any more thoughts or comments let either her or myself know. We need to appraise the level of scissors, thread and pins at the space - may end up getting some to donate to the space at some point.

Clare Greenhalgh

May 30, 2013, 4:54:53 AM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Would Katie like some help with helping the people there with the sewing machines and making sure the beginners really know what is going on?

I can also bring extra scissors, thread and pins if they are needed...

Benjamin Blundell

May 30, 2013, 5:24:45 AM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Oh yes for sure! :)

Clare Greenhalgh

May 30, 2013, 5:25:53 AM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I can manage that :)

Benjamin Blundell

May 30, 2013, 5:28:49 AM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Claire. Hopefully we'll get plenty of peoples! :D

Wren Montgomery

May 30, 2013, 6:28:05 AM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If it's useful, use the cutting table (and if possible, grab a photo of it in action for the wiki, please.)  It should be feasible to move it to the classroom if that's where the action is.

If I am not too jetlagged, I will stop in.

Wren

Benjamin Blundell

May 30, 2013, 8:08:09 AM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
So we can get an idea of numbers - anyone who is interested, could they reply to this thread please? Ta! :)

william...@gmail.com

May 30, 2013, 8:17:35 AM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I am

Henry Sands

May 30, 2013, 8:39:04 AM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, o...@section9.co.uk
I am

Tim Storey

May 30, 2013, 12:59:07 PM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Me

\t

Sent by shouting very, very loud

Andrew Cousins

May 30, 2013, 2:31:57 PM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes please!
Andy

Johannes Krauser II

May 30, 2013, 2:34:09 PM5/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm in!

Some experience with thread and needle but none with a machine. I sit
worth it to create a wiki page with a sign up?

Charles Yarnold

May 30, 2013, 7:25:11 PM5/30/13
to Hackspace Mailing List
me too, I've yet to think of what I want to make to email about it

Necati

May 31, 2013, 4:51:40 AM5/31/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested. Count me in please

Necati

alan hodes

Jun 2, 2013, 11:56:12 AM6/2/13
to London Hackspace

Hi, I bought a sewing machine about a year or 2 ago and I've tried to use it a couple of times but never realised that you need a master's in engineering to understand the instructions! I think I need someone to show me how to thread it, wind a bobbin and set the tension properly, but it's pretty old. I expect new machines do all that stuff automatically?
Anyway, is this the sort of session where I could bring the machine and get help?
Alan

On 28 May 2013 11:45, "Benjamin Blundell" <onid...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sue Spence

Jun 2, 2013, 1:27:12 PM6/2/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, o...@section9.co.uk
I'm interested.

Billy

Jun 2, 2013, 5:52:49 PM6/2/13
to London Hackspace

I'm interested.

On 2 June, 18:27, Sue Spence <s...@pennine.com> wrote:
> I'm interested.
>

> On Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:08:09 PM UTC+1, Oni wrote:
>
> > So we can get an idea of numbers - anyone who is interested, could they
>
> > On 30 May 2013 11:28, Wren Montgomery <wren.mo...@gmail.com <javascript:>>wrote:
>
> >> If it's useful, use the cutting table (and if possible, grab a photo of
> >> it in action for the wiki, please.)  It should be feasible to move it to
> >> the classroom if that's where the action is.
>
> >> If I am not too jetlagged, I will stop in.
>
> >> Wren
>
> >> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Benjamin Blundell <onid...@gmail.com<javascript:>

Matt Wheeler

Jun 2, 2013, 8:10:18 PM6/2/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

On 30 May 2013 13:08, "Benjamin Blundell" <onid...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So we can get an idea of numbers - anyone who is interested, could they reply to this thread please? Ta! :)

I'm interested, as is Emma :)

Dario

Jun 6, 2013, 7:47:39 AM6/6/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, o...@section9.co.uk
A late reply but if it's possible my wife would be interested (will bring in her sewing machine as well).
We should be arriving in the early afternoon... I'll sign her up if there's a wiki page?

Thanks
Dario

Benjamin Blundell

Jun 6, 2013, 7:52:58 AM6/6/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Cool. We'll be starting from about 11am going on till 4-5pm . There is no wiki page; people have just replied here or to either Katie or myself. See you all later :)

Sue Spence

Jun 6, 2013, 9:35:01 AM6/6/13
On Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:52:58 PM UTC+1, Oni wrote:
Cool. We'll be starting from about 11am going on till 4-5pm . There is no wiki page; people have just replied here or to either Katie or myself. See you all later :)

Thank you both for organising this workshop, I'm really looking forward to it.

stephane Malenfant

Jun 6, 2013, 9:45:39 AM6/6/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

+1
Out of curiosity what's the limit in terms of number of people attending? It seems to be quite popular.

Stephane

Benjamin Blundell

Jun 7, 2013, 4:37:38 AM6/7/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hahah, we did say around 8 people initially but it may end up being more at this rate :S We are limited on the number of sewing machines but we have a few more we can press gang into service. Its generally more of a "if you have a simple idea come along and Katie will help you get started" kind of a thing so I doubt 1 person would be attending for the entire 11 till 5 slot.

Its worth pointing out you should bring the material you want to work with as we dont have a lot of spares at the hackspace (stretchy material is harder to work with). If you have something you want to repair as well, thats also a good thing to bring.
Message has been deleted

Adrian Godwin

Jun 10, 2013, 2:36:44 AM6/10/13
to london-hack-space, o...@section9.co.uk
I rescued two sewing machine pedals from the 3-week bins months ago. I don't think they belong to the space sewing machines, but they might - I'm happy to bring them back in if necessary.

They're both identical, connect to the sewing machines with a 3-pin rectangular connector, have a japanese mains plug (two pins like a US plug, but angled) and are marked 'for Brother type E motor'.

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Katie Eagleton <katiee...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

I'm back from West Africa now. We went and checked out the sewing machines on Friday, and there are three at the Hackspace, but two of them are missing the crucial foot-pedal controllers and their power cables, so aren't much use. If anyone has any ideas where to look for the missing bits, let me know! Otherwise, there's one machine that works pretty well, and a couple of people have said they can bring one (which might be good if you want to get to know your own machine rather than to learn to use one that's different).

On Saturday, I'll start with the basics of using a sewing machine at about 11am, and some common things that go wrong when you're using them. The best way to learn how to sew is to make something, so will petty quickly move on to making things. If you don't know what to make, the simplest things are cases/pouches to keep things in, but if you have a particular project in mind, bring it along. If you want advice on fabric (either what sort, or how much) then drop me a line.

Any of you who have done any sewing before will know that sharp scissors (non-serrated) are important - but the pairs of scissors I found at the Hackspace are pretty rubbish. I'll bring some scissor sharpeners and do what I can for the Hackspace ones, but if you have sewing scissors, bring them along, as well as pins, of which you can never have too many.

See you on Saturday, and drop me a line in the meantime if you have any questions!
Katie

Dario

Jun 10, 2013, 12:49:37 PM6/10/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, o...@section9.co.uk
Correction and apology but something else has come up this Saturday and we won't be able to attend.
I'll keep an eye on the Group should another session come up.

Have a great workshop and best of luck with all your projects.
Regards
Dario

Sue Spence

Jun 16, 2013, 5:11:41 AM6/16/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again for organising this event Ben and Katie, I really enjoyed it and it gave me a big leg up on machine sewing.

Is there any interest in a regular sewing/crafting meetup?  Please raise your virtual hand!

Billy

Jun 16, 2013, 3:01:07 PM6/16/13
to London Hackspace

Yes.

Thank you.

When's the next one?

Necati

Jun 16, 2013, 6:12:00 PM6/16/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I also would like to thank both Katie and Ben for organising the class. I enjoyed it and got a good start with the sewing machine and sewing..I'm interested and would like to know when we will have the  next one.
.
Necati

Katie Eagleton

Jul 2, 2013, 5:17:32 PM7/2/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, o...@section9.co.uk

Hello,

I'd be happy to help out with drop-in sessions like the 15 June one - to get people started, and to trouble-shoot more advanced projects. Whatever is of interest! I don't know if the classroom is free, but was wondering about 31 August for another one, and perhaps if people are keen after that we could set up a regular thing?

Katie

Mark Steward

Jul 2, 2013, 6:30:06 PM7/2/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It's currently scheduled as a "Hack the Space" day, so there'll be a
load of people moving other parts of the space around. I don't know
how much it will affect something that can exist fully inside the
classroom, but the weekend before might be better.

Mark