laser cutter

michael....@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2021, 4:20:58 PM4/2/21
to London Hackspace
Hi,
is the laser cutter likely to be operational when the hackspace reopens?
Thanks
Michael

Dax Liniere

Apr 6, 2021, 7:34:24 PM4/6/21
to London Hackspace
Yes, need a piece of MDF engraved. Any news?

Jonathan Hodgson

Apr 6, 2021, 8:17:11 PM4/6/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Was there an issue with it when we closed up?

Peter Hutchison

Apr 7, 2021, 6:39:55 AM4/7/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm keen to know more about the status of the laser cutter as well.

Thanks,
Peter

Michael Schiesari

Apr 7, 2021, 7:19:31 AM4/7/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Not that I know of, but I haven’t actually used it since I got inducted and wanted to make sure it’s not gone the way of the bandsaw

I saw in another thread that we changed controller and now we use LightBurn, does that mean we can connect our own laptops and operate from there or do we still need to transfer the file to the computer connected to the laser cutter?
Michael

On Friday, 2 April 2021 at 21:20:58 UTC+1 michael....@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,
is the laser cutter likely to be operational when the hackspace reopens?
Thanks
Michael

Dax Liniere Puzzle Factory

Apr 7, 2021, 7:25:28 AM4/7/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if someone who's inducted would mind helping me with a single engraving job once it's open?

It's a template for snare drum building that I wanted to get 'engraved' in a sheet of MDF.

It's quite a simple design, so hopefully it's a quick job?

Cheers,
Dax.

Paddy Duncan

Apr 7, 2021, 7:32:21 AM4/7/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

It should be in service, unless something happened to it that I am not aware of..

I’ll be going in to check (and put its nozzle back (another story)), but can only do so at the weekend ie at the last minute.

And… it is possible that some other pressing issues, namely the doors working (or not), may eat my time of no one else manages to look at them in the meantime.

Paddy

Dax Liniere

Apr 7, 2021, 7:10:20 PM4/7/21
to London Hackspace
Hey Paddy, I have a very simple DXF if you want something to test print.. ;)
Seriously though, let me know if you want a hand with anything. I should have some time this weekend and could help out. (mask-wearing & social-distancing, of course.)

Cheers,
Dax.

michael....@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2021, 4:10:05 PM4/14/21
to London Hackspace
Hi Paddy, did you end up managing to check the laser cutter and put the nozzle back on? Is it ok to use now? If so I'll drop by on Saturday to cut some 5mm acrylic
Regarding usage, do we still drop cash or due to covid-related contact restrictions is it better to make electronic transfers?
Thanks!!!
Michael

Billy

Apr 14, 2021, 5:28:15 PM4/14/21
to London Hackspace
Just looked at the website, and http://www.isthelasercutterworking.com/ isn't working. :)

Paddy Duncan

Apr 15, 2021, 3:02:44 AM4/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

I did get to check it and re-fit the nozzle, on Saturday. Apologies for not posting before..

I did notice that it was showing a red light although ACServer reported it being in service, so I reset it again… but then I got distracted by other things and did not get to check further.

I’ll see if I can find someone to have a look as I have no idea when I’m likely to get back yet..

Paddy

Rowan Hoggarth

Apr 15, 2021, 4:03:36 AM4/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paddy,

I will be heading over lateish this evening, if there's anything I can do drop me a message

Paddy Duncan

Apr 15, 2021, 4:15:07 AM4/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

Hi Rowan,

That would be great, if you could check…

  1. Does it just ‘work’ for you..?
  2. If not, is there any apparent network connection issue?
  3. Depending on how late it is… if it’s not working and showing red, contact me, I’ll set you as a maintainer so you can see if re-enabling manually via the button works..
  4. I  might think of something else in the meantime..

Thanks

Paddy

Rowan Hoggarth

Apr 15, 2021, 6:25:00 AM4/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

michael....@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2021, 8:59:29 AM4/16/21
to London Hackspace
Hi Rowan, did you end up going to the Space and checking the laser cutter?
no pressure if you did not, I'm just very keen to know how I'll spend my weekend :)
Cheers
Michael

Rowan Hoggarth

Apr 16, 2021, 12:28:38 PM4/16/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

I didn't do any checks beyond my card did not activate it, and it's definitely on red.

Last night I got caught up at work till the small hours so didn't go check further.

michael....@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2021, 7:57:47 AM4/19/21
to London Hackspace
Do we know what the issue is?

Paddy Duncan

Apr 19, 2021, 11:22:02 AM4/19/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I suspect a physical networking issue...
But I currently don't have enough information to be sure. Or time to visit..
Paddy

Adrian Godwin

Apr 19, 2021, 11:48:08 AM4/19/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm there at the moment. Is there a debug output or anything I can look at?

Paddy Duncan

Apr 20, 2021, 4:03:13 AM4/20/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

I guess this is a bit late now but..

I don’t know about that but there will be network points/cables to look at..

deanforbes

Apr 20, 2021, 1:39:58 PM4/20/21
to London Hackspace
I dropped in this afternoon checked the network cables and rebooted everything - to no avail

\I then checked my card on the lathe and mill - it did not work, I then checked my card on the table saw and it worked

So I would guess its a network issue in the metal shop area ..... and perhaps a caching issue

It will need the acnode gods to have a look and perhaps pray

Dax Liniere

Apr 20, 2021, 6:24:38 PM4/20/21
to London Hackspace
I have a cat5 tester if you'd like me to check the lines physically.
Let me know.
-Dax.

Michael Cullen

Apr 20, 2021, 8:46:21 PM4/20/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Network issue would likely be blinking as it tries to connect rather than solid red.

There's network at that end of the building (in that I can ping the switch) and the laser ACNode is pingable as well. It's also reporting its health on MQTT. This also demonstrates PoE is working down that end of the building. In fact, the laser ACNode is pinging acserver regularly and getting told it is in an operational state, so I can't really see any reason it shouldn't be operational.

The mill acnode is not pingable - that probably just needs restarting. I suspect the same is true for the lathe as well but I'm not sure.

Michael

deanforbes

Apr 21, 2021, 5:47:39 AM4/21/21
to London Hackspace
the lathe and mill were also restarted - I will restart them again when I next go by

I suspect it needs a person and or persons with access and knowledge of the end to end system to attend

Simon Hewison

Apr 21, 2021, 3:45:47 PM4/21/21
to London Hackspace
I note that 'holonyak', the Raspberry PI that runs the message board and announcer in the metalwork room is powered up with PoE, but there was no networking. This hints that the ethernet switch in there is not working, but the PoE injector is.

Simon

Michael Cullen

Apr 21, 2021, 5:51:52 PM4/21/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hmm I can connect to that switch over SSH fine, and most of the things connected to it (gate, toolstore, biolab, laser acnode) have link. The port I suspect to be feeding holonyak is not showing link though (it’s the only unlabelled port on vlan 70 on that switch) - I wonder if there's a loose connection there somewhere?

On the ACNode vlan, the only port that doesn’t show link is port 19 - not sure where that goes, but I’d bet it’s one of the non-running acnodes.

ACNodes showing connection to the network but not functioning probably need a USB cable connecting to see what they're doing.

Dax Liniere Puzzle Factory

Apr 21, 2021, 5:59:10 PM4/21/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Michael Cullen

Do you want me to drop in with cat5 tester?

Didn't someone say they could ping the acnodes in question?

Dax Liniere
Record producer | Mixer | Engineer

PUZZLE FACTORY SOUND STUDIOS Winston Churchill Fellow 2012
London, UK

Phone: +44 (0)747 0747 750
www.puzzlefactory.uk
www.MixDirection.com

We are 100% carbon neutral

UK company number: 10187067

deanforbes

Apr 21, 2021, 6:02:54 PM4/21/21
to London Hackspace
this evening the lathe and laser worked but not the mill

any one up for musical chairs

Michael Cullen

Apr 21, 2021, 6:20:51 PM4/21/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ok that fits what I'm seeing in logs. it possibly took a little while for stuff to recover on those.

Is the mill one getting power? my hunch is there's a loose connection somewhere there. I've seen it before where power gets through but not data - at 100mbit they use different cores on the cable

deanforbes

Apr 22, 2021, 4:31:42 AM4/22/21
to London Hackspace

its not to say that not the case but I have unplugged it and plugged it back in and so has Des

I may be in the area on Saturday and will poke at it again then

Matthew

Apr 22, 2021, 5:59:25 AM4/22/21
to London Hackspace
Hello,

I've popped into the Hackspace to check out the reported issues. All doors and tools appear to be operating as usual as far as the ones I am authorised to use go green and the ones I am not authorised to use go red.
  • One of the 3D printers appears out of order (red) but I assume that's intentional.
  • The mill appeared to be stuck on a blue light but after unplugging and re-plugging the ethernet cable it's now responsive.
  • I made a very brief test cut on the laser cutter and it worked fine. The visible guide laser was loose so I tightened it up but it's probably not 100% accurate.
  • I continuity tested the cabling to Holonyak and they're fine. I suspect the Pi / SD card is dead.
I'll probably be around for another hour or two so if you want me to check something let me know.

Thanks
Matthew

Des Quilty

Apr 22, 2021, 6:03:57 AM4/22/21
to London Hackspace
Hi thanks for your efforts!
FYI I tried the mill last night and it stayed blue, I unplugged it and plugged it in again and that didn't help. Perhaps you have got it going now. I will check again at the weekend.

The lathe and the lasercutter recognised my card fine.

Thx

Michael Schiesari

Apr 22, 2021, 7:23:09 AM4/22/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew
When you say “the visible guide is not 100% accurate” you mean that the cutter itself isn’t accurate right now or just the non-cutting preview light that shows you roughly where the beam will go?
Thanks
Michael
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to london-hack-space+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/london-hack-space/fe5b3995-61d2-4b70-a429-667fd3465ca0n%40googlegroups.com.

Matthew H

Apr 22, 2021, 7:26:20 AM4/22/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I mean the red guide laser. I tightened it back up in approximately the correct position in relation to the actual cutting laser but didn't do any test cuts to check it was accurate.

The laser cutter itself appears to be cutting fine.

Hope that helps

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/london-hack-space/fe5b3995-61d2-4b70-a429-667fd3465ca0n%40googlegroups.com.

Michael Schiesari

Apr 22, 2021, 7:38:14 AM4/22/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, that’s excellent news!