bug hunt?

Colin Rowat

May 20, 2023, 6:03:09 PM5/20/23
to London Hackspace
Anyone sweep venues for bugs?

Situation:
- Person A has been dealing with a sensitive matter known only to a few
- Person B has a key to Person A's flat
- Person B mentioned that matter to Person A, although is uninvolved

Possibilities
- Person B has found out from someone who does know about the sensitive matter
- Person B has used access to A's flat to bug it

I've never hired someone to sweep a house for bugs before, so don't know where to start.

Thanks!

Ant -

May 20, 2023, 6:24:44 PM5/20/23
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It could also be person A mentioned it to person B or atleast touched on it enough for them to guess as if person B has a key I'm going to guess they know eachother pretty well.

Back in the day you would scan for RF transmiters but these days your phone can be turned into a listening device that you even go out of your way to keep with you and charged for them and its going to be spewing out RF as it's designed to do that.

If they have access then a bug wouldn't even need to transmit just record to a flash drive they come and swap out regularly to recover the recordings.

Not to point out the obvious but given if it was openly mentioned to them has person A tried talking to person B?

Colin Rowat

May 27, 2023, 11:00:33 PM5/27/23
to London Hackspace
Thanks for continuing to answer my occasional security questions over the years Ant!

I'm going to give you an 9/10 on this one, using the UK scale (in which 7/10 or higher is a 'first', and 10/10 is unattainable): I've since learned that Person A consulted with Person C, a close confederate of Person B.

Hoping you're well,

Colin

Ant -

May 28, 2023, 3:51:25 AM5/28/23
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
No worries Colin,

Over worked and under paid but aren't we all! Atleast I've got a little break this week to sort a few things at home out.

Hope you're keeping well too

Kind regards
Ant