Parking Permits

James Brown

Aug 17, 2011, 9:51:45 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've just been handed 5 Parking Permits, Seriel no. B037574 - B037578, I assume by the security guard.

They are on the noticeboard.

 - James

Ken Boak

Aug 17, 2011, 9:57:08 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Great

Lets get them laminated to A3 pieces of 25mm MDF so no selfish little hacker walks off with them this time.

Ken

Sci

Aug 17, 2011, 10:04:20 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We don't have any form of secure storage or enforcement system in place
yet, so guess we'll just have to hope these don't go wandering right
away too. :/

Were we given new ones at request, or are they just being switched for a
period?

Sci

Aug 17, 2011, 10:06:18 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Good plan! +1

On 17/08/2011 14:57, Ken Boak wrote:
> Great
>
> Lets get them laminated to A3 pieces of 25mm MDF so no selfish little
> hacker walks off with them this time.
>

> Ken
>

> On 17 August 2011 14:51, James Brown <jayb...@gmail.com

James Brown

Aug 17, 2011, 10:19:04 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I don't have time to prep the permits now, but I can put all but one in my box so at least 4 are relatively safe...?

Martin Dittus

Aug 17, 2011, 10:21:32 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes pls.

And then for later -- how about hanging them on bike chains, big blocks of wood or other stuff that we've lying around anyway?

Luke Graham

Aug 17, 2011, 10:27:38 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Don't mind what the permits are attached to, as long as it is not
something that will scratch up the top of my dash!

Luke

Simon Howes

Aug 17, 2011, 10:28:28 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Attached to a giant radiator perhaps aka "the auxilliary hall pass" from Invader Zim?

Sci

Aug 17, 2011, 10:30:41 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Good thinking! A variety of bulky items would increase the sample-space
of what type helps or dissuades them from going missing.

Breeze-block, dummy head, laminar-flow bench (finally a good use for it?)..

Luke Graham

Aug 17, 2011, 10:32:53 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
No really, something that won't scratch my dash will be fine.

Luke

Sam Cook

Aug 17, 2011, 11:35:08 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
So the idea of attaching them to ice picks and long chains that we attach to the hackspace is out then?

Mark Steward

Aug 17, 2011, 11:38:53 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
How about some really long elastic?

Darren Hubbard

Aug 17, 2011, 11:39:21 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I was going to suggest petrified hedgehogs but I guess that's out too.

Alex Stapleton

Aug 17, 2011, 11:40:38 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I guess all these Bobcats are going to needing a new home then :-/

Adrian Godwin

Aug 17, 2011, 1:59:59 PM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Could you keep them ALL until it's at least possible to stick them to a board ? They go so fast ...

If anyone needs one urgently they can arrange it directly with you.

-adrian

Adrian Godwin

Aug 17, 2011, 2:02:27 PM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Russ asked for them months ago.

On monday, I put in an 'appeal' against the clamping I got the other week, citing the lack of permits and cc'ing the workspace bods.

I'm delighted to see that 2 days later the permits have arrived !

-adrian

Alec Wright

Aug 17, 2011, 2:00:05 PM8/17/11
On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 18:59 +0100, Adrian Godwin wrote:
> Could you keep them ALL until it's at least possible to stick them to
> a board ? They go so fast ...
>
> If anyone needs one urgently they can arrange it directly with you.
>
> -adrian

I might like to use one tomorrow if possible? Assuming I'm trusted not
to run off with it...

signature.asc

Adrian Godwin

Aug 17, 2011, 2:24:55 PM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think if you tell everyone on the mailing list that you've got one, then you can be trusted with it, yes :-)

The problem is with small slips of paper available freely on the notice board - someone uses it, forgets to put it back, and nobody even knows who to remind.

-adrian

James Brown

Aug 17, 2011, 4:10:24 PM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I'll sort something out when I'm in tomorrow morning.

Alec Wright

Aug 17, 2011, 5:05:04 PM8/17/11
On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 15:30 +0100, Sci wrote:

> Good thinking! A variety of bulky items would increase the sample-space
> of what type helps or dissuades them from going missing.
>
> Breeze-block, dummy head, laminar-flow bench (finally a good use for it?)..

+1 to this suggestion. Weld one of the permits onto the bench and attach
another via a 2-3m chain. When you want to park your car, you go in one
of two adjacent bays, get the laminar flow troll bench, take it
downstairs in the goods lift, park it next to you and feed the permit
through your window.

signature.asc

Adrian Godwin

Aug 17, 2011, 5:19:45 PM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Inflatable sex doll ?

An unexpected passenger should remind people to take it back....

-adrian

Alec Wright

Aug 17, 2011, 5:30:03 PM8/17/11
On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 22:19 +0100, Adrian Godwin wrote:
> Inflatable sex doll ?
>
> An unexpected passenger should remind people to take it back....
>
> -adrian
Or attach it to a steering wheel clamp... Although theres no way to
enforce it being clamped on for the duration of its stay
signature.asc

Martin

Aug 18, 2011, 4:01:04 AM8/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
+ 1 for the inflatable sex doll, possibly witha gprs tracker.  or maybe attach it to pedobear :P

Toby Catlin

Aug 18, 2011, 4:38:24 AM8/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
What if people actually used the sex doll for intended purpose?

Matte

Aug 18, 2011, 4:44:40 AM8/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
then potential permit-kidnappers will be less inclined to keep it in their cars...

www.hda1.co.uk

Cepmender

Aug 18, 2011, 10:59:54 AM8/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
All have been laminated to A4 sheets. Three are in Russ` box, the other two are now attached to 600x300 boards and hanging beside the door.

If users do not now notice that the pass is still in their vehicle then one really needs to question their competence to drive at all.....

Monty

Aug 18, 2011, 11:22:03 AM8/18/11
to London Hackspace
On Aug 18, 3:59 pm, Cepmender <cepmen...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> All have been laminated to A4 sheets. Three are in Russ` box, the other two are now attached to 600x300 boards and hanging beside the door.
>
> If users do not now notice that the pass is still in their vehicle then one really needs to question their competence to drive at all.....

Is there a return address on them in case a visitor drives off with
one and fails to remember where they got it from? :P

Chris Mear

Aug 18, 2011, 11:32:34 AM8/18/11
On 18 Aug 2011, at 16:22, Monty wrote:

> On Aug 18, 3:59 pm, Cepmender <cepmen...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> All have been laminated to A4 sheets. Three are in Russ` box, the other two are now attached to 600x300 boards and hanging beside the door.
>>

>> If users do not now notice that the pass is still in their vehicle then one really needs to question their competence to drive at all…..

> Is there a return address on them in case a visitor drives off with
> one and fails to remember where they got it from? :P

I was about to ask this. Are there clear instructions on these that explain they need to be immediately returned after use?

I guess it's more obvious now that they are attached to sex dolls or whatever, but I wonder if there are people who think they are disposable and for one-time use, or that they can keep them on a loan basis (i.e. I visit the space often so I'll just leave it in my car).

Chris

Cepmender

Aug 18, 2011, 9:15:56 PM8/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
In large capital letters....
 "VISITING HACKSPACE UNIT 24"
If they cannot work this one out then there is no hope.

Martin Dittus

Aug 18, 2011, 9:26:01 PM8/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Excellent work. I've seen them tonight, they're very nice. Large and sturdy.

m.

Cepmender

Aug 18, 2011, 9:26:58 PM8/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

  VISITING     HACKSPACE

This pass lives beside the door in LAB 24    PLEASE RETURN IT BEFORE YOU DRIVE AWAY   It is no use anywhere else!!!!

Returning this pass is the sign of an excellent person who has enhanced social awareness and the esteem of their peers

UNIT 24

Full text of pass mount appears above....

>> All have been laminated to A4 sheets. Three are in Russ` box, the other two are now attached to 600x300 boards and hanging beside the door.
>>
>> If users do not now notice that the pass is still in their vehicle then one really needs to question their competence to drive at all…..

> Is there a return address on them in case a visitor drives off with
> one and fails to remember where they got it from? :P

Parking permit enhanced.abw

Adrian Godwin

Aug 22, 2011, 3:06:11 PM8/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Fine Business.

Thanks, phil.

-adrian

Martin Klang

Aug 22, 2011, 5:40:45 PM8/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

so what happened to permit 54, and who were the permit perps?

/m

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Aug 22, 2011, 7:01:50 PM8/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The vehicle with the pass left the car park sometime after 18:00 on Friday
night. I had left a note on the windscreen asking the driver to see us in
the space or call us on the phone. No contact has been made AFAIK. To get
anything done by the clampers the landlord must make a complaint. Perhaps
we should just let down the tyres next time the vehicle appears.... :-)

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 22:40:45 +0100, Martin Klang <ma...@pingdynasty.com>
wrote:

> so what happened to permit 54, and who were the permit perps?
>
> /m

Darren Hubbard

Aug 23, 2011, 6:40:19 AM8/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Complain to the police, it's theft.

Martin Klang

Aug 23, 2011, 7:51:53 AM8/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Well you see the problem with turning our neighbours in to the cops, slashing their tyres et c is that afterwards, they're still our neighbours.
Meaning that the problem doesn't go away, it gets worse.

And btw I _hate_ being the voice of reason.
Pls don't make me do it again.

I thank you,

/m