NPL open day

Adrian Godwin

Apr 25, 2022, 11:32:15 AM4/25/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
NPL at Teddington have an open day coming up. I've been twice before - it's a very good day. You get to see lots of geeky labs, and there are things to entertain and interest children too.

https://www.npl.co.uk/open-day/

JJ

Apr 26, 2022, 12:40:32 PM4/26/22
to London Hackspace
+1 for this.  Been a couple of times before too and there's lots to see and learn, like how standard units of measurement are no longer based on samples held in vaults in London and Paris but based on fundamental physical principles like quantities of atoms or their radiation.  (A kilo of pure silicon is very pretty incidentally.)  There are anechoic chambers where you might find your ears playing tricks on you, and RF versions for measuring the efficiency of aerials and the radiation from mobile devices.  And a computer history section where I've been found showing groups of schoolchildren how to enter a computer program using a manual card punch.  They also give some lectures on their core subjects like the principles of accuracy but don't seem to be doing that this time.

Plus there are several decent pubs in the vicinity if we wanted to make it a group outing.

Erica Calogero

Apr 27, 2022, 5:49:37 AM4/27/22
to London Hackspace
This sounds fun, I would go...

Aidas Baltušis

Apr 27, 2022, 6:11:14 AM4/27/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Nice of you to come visit us, hopefully will see you there. My group will be demonstrating bifacial solar cells

Adrian Godwin

Apr 27, 2022, 6:51:20 AM4/27/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I didn't know you worked there - we definitely have to go now!

Adrian Godwin

Apr 27, 2022, 7:12:36 AM4/27/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We have to book tickets by timeslot - shall we aim for a couple of common slots ?

JJ

May 16, 2022, 3:14:23 PM5/16/22
to London Hackspace
Did anyone book?  I currently have at least one spare ticket for the 14:00-15:00 slot (so DM and reply here as I only use Gmail for Google stuff).

JJ

Adrian Godwin

May 16, 2022, 4:34:58 PM5/16/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've booked on the 13:00 to 14:00 entry slot but will still be there later.

Rowan Hoggarth

May 17, 2022, 4:17:00 AM5/17/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I shall be heading over 3pm, work permitting

Alex Vitel

May 19, 2022, 3:37:39 PM5/19/22
to London Hackspace
JJ, do you happen to have 2 extra tickets for tomorrow?

Cheers,
Alex