Lathe training tomorrow

Luke Graham

Apr 18, 2011, 4:04:56 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm going to do a basic 'this is a lathe and this is what it does'
session tomorrow for the noobs. I will do the same thing for the mill
next week. If you want to attend, let me know, so I have an idea of
what to expect. I'm not going to limit numbers on this, it is more of
a talk than anything. If you have used a lathe before, this might be a
bit basic. I expect it will run about 20 minutes. I will cover both
general aspects and points specific to our machine. If I can get hold
of a round piece of metal, you can get some hands-on too.

Abby and Phil, don't know your plans for tomorrow night, but you might
want to run some 'proper' training immediately after this, ie the kind
that ends in '... and the key is kept over there' ;)

Luke

Elliot West

Apr 18, 2011, 4:06:46 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to attend - what time do you plan to start?

Cheers - Elliot.

Luke Graham

Apr 18, 2011, 4:10:49 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
7pm, sorry, left that vital detail out :)

Luke

Kieran

Apr 18, 2011, 6:15:06 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll have to attend this some time it isn't held on a Tuesday.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:04:56 +0100, Luke Graham wrote

spooq

Apr 18, 2011, 6:20:39 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Well, I've changed my own routine to Wednesdays now, and I don't mind
repeating it then. I'm just making an exception for tomorrow because
that is when many people will be about.

Luke

Sam Cook

Apr 18, 2011, 6:21:11 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm in!

Thanks Luke.

PS have you sorted the 4-Jaw yet?

spooq

Apr 18, 2011, 6:26:40 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Russ sent an email to the supplier about the adapter being the wrong
one, I don't know any more than that. This might put a bit of a crimp
in the plans to do hands-on tomorrow, as I only have square stock.

Luke

Sam Cook

Apr 18, 2011, 6:38:01 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
could we do wood on the mini-lathe? or would that be counter productive?

Adrian Godwin

Apr 18, 2011, 6:38:49 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You can put square stock sideways in a 3-jaw, as long as it's thicker than the jaw depth (or packed out to suit). Not as good an illustration of turning as a bit of rod, but at least you can face off and turn a shoulder.

-adrian

spooq

Apr 18, 2011, 6:40:14 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
No reason why not, if you are keen to do it.

Luke

Adrian Godwin

Apr 18, 2011, 6:46:21 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Woods often contain moisture, so the sawdust can be damp and rust the bed. This isn't a problem if cleaned up after use, which everyone's going to do assiduously, right ?

-adrian

spooq

Apr 18, 2011, 6:48:35 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
This will be covered, don't worry... sawdust left on the bed is one of
my pet hates.

Luke

Sam Cook

Apr 18, 2011, 7:11:45 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
For dealing with sawdust/swarf we now have a broom with a short stiff white brush for the floor as well as a broom head for sweeping the machines themselves these are in 23 (with the broom head on the 3-in-1).

When I was saying about using wood I meant as a demo material for lathe work if using square stock will be tricky without the 4-jaw chuck

phil jones

Apr 18, 2011, 7:25:45 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've finally got a free evening to come along to the space tomorrow.
So I'm definitely in for the lathe training.

Also, is there laser-cutter training tomorrow?

phil

Sam Cook

Apr 18, 2011, 7:30:16 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Also, is there laser-cutter training tomorrow?

Yes, for this and other common questions please see the FAQ[1]

phil jones

Apr 18, 2011, 7:58:40 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Cool. Thanks.

Billy

Apr 18, 2011, 8:54:08 AM4/18/11
to London Hackspace
I'll be ther for this.

Been wanting to learn this for a while. Got a number of idea's that i
want to try with this tool...

On Apr 18, 12:58 pm, phil jones <inters...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool. Thanks.

Renski

Apr 18, 2011, 9:11:30 AM4/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I intending to come along to this, if theres anything left of my brain
after the marketing drones have finished with it at infosec.

chris-robot

Apr 18, 2011, 9:22:03 AM4/18/11
to London Hackspace
Count me in.

Simon Howes

Apr 19, 2011, 7:25:21 AM4/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Dads coming tonight - parent proofing the house consequently!

I'll be in wednesday to do some training. Sorry for short reply for now, am really busy (also gmail on my phone stopped syncing so i suddenly have a million messages after a reboot. I thought the list was quiet...)

Lester Hawksby

Apr 19, 2011, 7:29:46 AM4/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Please count me in too for lathe newbie training.

Thanks

Lester

spooq

Apr 20, 2011, 8:33:36 AM4/20/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hope everyone enjoyed the talk and found it useful. If you have any
suggestions on how to improve it (for the mill session and if I run
the same lathe session again), please let me know. Might be useful to
do it once more and videotape it.

Did everyone who wanted a hands-on get a chance? If not, I will be in
tonight, so you can grab me then, or just whenever.

Speaking of the mill, I will do this talk in a fortnight, rather than
next week, as many people will be out of town.

Thanks to Glen and Russ for helping out by supervising people too.

Cheers,
Luke

phil jones

Apr 20, 2011, 8:54:13 AM4/20/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luke

I think I learned what I needed. Very useful, thanks.

phil

Lester Hawksby

Apr 20, 2011, 8:56:21 AM4/20/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much, that was very helpful. I'm really looking forward to
the next bit of training and then approved-lathe-wielding status!

Regards

Lester

Billy

Apr 21, 2011, 3:56:23 AM4/21/11
to London Hackspace
Thank you for the intro Luke.

I'll start practising regularly.

Where's the best place top pick up a stock of metal for this?

spooq

Apr 21, 2011, 5:29:43 AM4/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
MikeK got the large square bar of Al from a place west of London,
can't remember the name of the shop now, but I'll ask him. It cost
about £50, so we split it between us. If you want a lump of that, we
can work something out. I would say pick something you want to make
first, then choose the material. I'm going to attempt to make
something I've been planning for a little while (as soon as the 4-jaw
is ready to go), so if you want to have a go at some of the required
operations, that would be fine by me.

We might have to figure out some way of getting material for training,
either by getting people to bring their own, or by charging to cover
costs. An off-cuts bin would be great as well, same as we do for the
laser-cutter.

I forgot to mention
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Engineering-Foundation-Peter-Wright/dp/1854861522
, which the space does have a copy of already. It is a good overview
of what is what, and how to do various operations, such as cutting,
measuring, joining, and so on.

Luke

Tim Hutt

Apr 21, 2011, 8:06:40 AM4/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Here're some suppliers for aluminium. Prices are very rough based on
an order I got quoted in 2009.

Doré (http://www.doremetals.co.uk/): £30k/m^3 plus £21 delivery.
Orion (http://www.orionalloys.co.uk/): £40k/m^3 plus £15 delivery.

There's also Smiths (http://www.smithmetal.com/) but they were about
three times more expensive.

Paul Dart

Apr 21, 2011, 8:12:32 AM4/21/11
On 21 April 2011 13:06, Tim Hutt <tdh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Doré (http://www.doremetals.co.uk/): £30k/m^3 plus £21 delivery.
> Orion (http://www.orionalloys.co.uk/): £40k/m^3 plus £15 delivery.

Spending £40k and they still charge you £15 delivery? Bastards ;)

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 21, 2011, 12:25:48 PM4/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
A stock of bar is in the drawer marked "Metal Bar (Round)" next to the
power tool rack.