Amateur Radio Foundation Course

Alec Wright

Jul 9, 2011, 11:28:05 AM7/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Chris Driver
So apparently the hackspace is a registered training/test centre for
RSGB qualifications. And I've been talking to people around the space
lately who've said they'd be interested in getting in to amateur radio.
The ideal way to do this is via the foundation course, which allows you
to register a callsign and transmit at up to 10W on certain bands.

The technical side of the course is very easy, it covers stuff like
ohm's law and adjusting antennas, so it's accessible to just about
anyone. In fact, I have a couple of introduction booklets by the RSGB:
Amateur Radio Explained and Foundation License Now, which I may put in
the hackspace library.

Anyway, onwards to the real point of this email: I've had a brief email
exchange with my local amateur radio club (Verulam ARC) and it sounds
like it MAY, if we're lucky, be possible to run a course at the space
sometime. I was just wondering if those who'd be interested in doing
this course could make themselves heard, and tell us what times would be
good for them. As I understand it, the course takes a few days, or you
can just about do it in two. Fwiw ideal times for me would be any time
from now to september, any day of the week.

(Ps. there's a realistic reciever on the desk in the lab, stacked
amongst the multimeters and test equipment if anyone wants to have a
listen to the london airwaves: check that the antenna on the balcony's
plugged in first though)

signature.asc

Kieran Kunhya

Jul 9, 2011, 11:52:14 AM7/9/11
to London Hackspace
I would be interested in doing this. Weekends would be preferable but
I could do some weekdays.
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

Russ Garrett

Jul 9, 2011, 12:00:59 PM7/9/11
On 9 July 2011 16:52, Kieran Kunhya <kie...@kunhya.com> wrote:
> I would be interested in doing this. Weekends would be preferable but
> I could do some weekdays.

The original plan - once we finally find an instructor - is to do it
on two consecutive Saturdays.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Jul 9, 2011, 12:33:36 PM7/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I would be happy to help out with this, what are the RSGB criteria for
instructors? I already teach radio procedure in another context.
Phil

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 17:00:59 +0100, Russ Garrett <ru...@garrett.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 9 July 2011 16:52, Kieran Kunhya <kie...@kunhya.com> wrote:
>> I would be interested in doing this. Weekends would be preferable but
>> I could do some weekdays.
>
> The original plan - once we finally find an instructor - is to do it
> on two consecutive Saturdays.

Jul 9, 2011, 12:41:01 PM7/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I want to train for a license :)
--

++++++++++[>+>+++>++

+++++>++++++++++<<<<
-]>>>+++++++.>++++++
+++++.+++..---------
.++++++++++.<<+++.<.

Jul 9, 2011, 12:41:16 PM7/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I want to learn, I mean.

Russ Garrett

Jul 9, 2011, 12:51:18 PM7/9/11
On 9 July 2011 17:33, <cepm...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I would be happy to help out with this, what are the RSGB criteria for
> instructors? I already teach radio procedure in another context.

So, basically, there needs to be at least one RSGB registered assessor
to supervise the exam and practical parts of the course. Becoming a
registered assessor just requires an Intermediate or Full license and
filling in a form (which involves a CRB check and hence can take up to
2 months).

I would, however, like an instructor who's had experience teaching the
course and/or been on the RSGB "Train the trainers" course since we'll
be charging for this. The syllabus is pretty vague to teach directly
from.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Kal

Jul 9, 2011, 7:23:34 PM7/9/11
to London Hackspace
I definately want to get my foundation license asap

Weekends or evenings are best for me.

On Jul 9, 5:51 pm, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> r...@garrett.co.uk

Glen

Jul 10, 2011, 4:40:59 AM7/10/11
to London Hackspace
On Jul 9, 4:28 pm, Alec Wright <ale...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

I'm interested in doing this. I passed the test years ago but lost my
certificate before I could apply for my licence. Weekdays would be
preferable.

Anish Mohammed

Jul 10, 2011, 10:38:53 AM7/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alec,
 I too would be interested :-). Again would prefer weekend over weekdays...
regards
Anish

Paul Dart

Jul 12, 2011, 5:00:20 AM7/12/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
As per all the previous threads/discussion on the subject I am
interested, and weekends are probably best for me, or a load of
evenings.

Wasn't there already a doodle poll of when people would like to do this?

Paul

Tim Storey

Jul 13, 2011, 7:04:41 AM7/13/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I would also be interested...

Elliot West

Jul 13, 2011, 7:09:40 AM7/13/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I too would be interested.

Russ Garrett

Jul 13, 2011, 7:36:31 AM7/13/11
On 13 July 2011 12:09, Elliot West <tea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I too would be interested.

The good news is that we've found an instructor! The vague plan is to
have it on two Saturdays in August (not the 20th). I'll send a doodle
around later.

Cheers,

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Renski

Jul 13, 2011, 12:45:46 PM7/13/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
also interested

Adrian Godwin

Jul 13, 2011, 1:26:55 PM7/13/11
On 7/13/11, Russ Garrett <ru...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> On 13 July 2011 12:09, Elliot West <tea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I too would be interested.
>
> The good news is that we've found an instructor! The vague plan is to
> have it on two Saturdays in August (not the 20th). I'll send a doodle
> around later.

20th is the only one where the hackspace is fully free, though it
might be possible to fit
in with the lockpickers on 13th.

-adrian

Russ Garrett

Jul 13, 2011, 1:36:09 PM7/13/11
On 13 July 2011 18:26, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 20th is the only one where the hackspace is fully free, though it
> might be possible to fit
> in with the lockpickers on 13th.

The 20th is the sea forts trip. Since I've had so much grief setting
this up, I would rather like to be on the first course.

The size of the course will probably only be about 8 people maximum
(this is limited by the surprisingly stringent exam regulations), so I
don't anticipate problems with colliding with the lockpicking.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Dave Williams

Jul 14, 2011, 4:03:12 AM7/14/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
At the risk of sounding like an AOL user from 1996 - 'me too!'

--
Dave Williams
da...@dave.io | http://dave.io | +447742310896

On Wednesday, 13 July 2011 at 18:36, Russ Garrett wrote:

> ru...@garrett.co.uk (mailto:ru...@garrett.co.uk)

Mark Stanhope

Jul 18, 2011, 2:52:55 AM7/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I have recently passed the foundation and am just about to start my
Intermediate (next week) so yes I am interesting in helping out, but
would not describe myself as an expert by any stretch..  Would also be
happy to donate source an aerial (I have had good results from using a
snowdonia X130, which is a long cable (40M) with a 9:1 unun.   I run
my in a square around my garden,

On the exam front, I passed with VARC (Peter GSHSO) over 2 saturdays
of study. Loughton and epping (http://www.lefars.org.uk/)  also
appears to run a number of course

On the foundation front there is a practical requirement:-

1. morse send/receive
2. Tune aerial
3. Conduct an on air call.

Are we considering setting up a radio club at hackspace?

--
Always honour the threat.

Russ Garrett

Jul 18, 2011, 4:31:09 AM7/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The dates for the Foundation course will be September 10th and 17th.
The cost will be £32.50, of which £27.50 is the exam fee.

The people who have already responded to this thread will have
priority when I open bookings.

We're going to try and get as many people as possible on this course,
and this may involve having two exam sessions as we're limited by the
seating requirements for exams.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Alec Wright

Jul 18, 2011, 11:20:58 AM7/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

In case this isn't already taken as read, you can count me in. When/how
is payment required?

signature.asc

Martin

Jul 18, 2011, 11:38:14 AM7/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yeh, I'd like to come along too if theres still space, awesome job sorting this out for us

Mark Steward

Jul 18, 2011, 11:46:31 AM7/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Crap, guess I'd better METOO as well.

Mark

Anish

Jul 18, 2011, 11:50:37 AM7/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Me too :)

From: Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:46:31 +0100
Subject: Re: [london-hack-space] Amateur Radio Foundation Course

Charles Yarnold

Jul 18, 2011, 1:41:42 PM7/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
too me!

Andrew Cousins

Jul 21, 2011, 11:40:40 AM7/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
And me please.

Andy

On 18/07/2011, Charles Yarnold <charles...@gmail.com> wrote:
> too me!
>
> On 18 July 2011 16:50, Anish <anish.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> ** Me too :)

>> Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

>> ------------------------------
>> *From: * Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com>
>> *Sender: * london-h...@googlegroups.com
>> *Date: *Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:46:31 +0100
>> *To: *<london-h...@googlegroups.com>
>> *ReplyTo: * london-h...@googlegroups.com
>> *Subject: *Re: [london-hack-space] Amateur Radio Foundation Course

ad...@aden.org.uk

Jul 22, 2011, 7:35:22 AM7/22/11
to London Hackspace
People should be adding their names to the wiki rather than me tooing
on the list.....

http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Project:Amateur_Radio_Training

On Jul 21, 4:40 pm, Andrew Cousins <serpentinepig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And me please.
>
> Andy
>
> On 18/07/2011, Charles Yarnold <charlesyarn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > too me!
>
> > On 18 July 2011 16:50, Anish <anish.moham...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> ** Me too :)
>
> >> Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
> >> ------------------------------
> >> *From: * Mark Steward <markstew...@gmail.com>
> >> *Sender: * london-h...@googlegroups.com
> >> *Date: *Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:46:31 +0100
> >> *To: *<london-h...@googlegroups.com>
> >> *ReplyTo: * london-h...@googlegroups.com
> >> *Subject: *Re: [london-hack-space] Amateur Radio Foundation Course
>
> >> Crap, guess I'd better METOO as well.
>
> >> Mark

Mark Steward

Jul 22, 2011, 7:48:02 AM7/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I thought I'd made something like that last time.

I've updated the list, in order of appearance here.  Hope I've got the wiki usernames correct.

Mark

Jul 22, 2011, 9:53:11 AM7/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for adding us to the list Mark, appreciated :)

Jul 22, 2011, 9:54:38 AM7/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to ask before, how do we prepare for this?

Alec Wright

Jul 22, 2011, 9:55:09 AM7/22/11
On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 14:54 +0100, M wrote:
> I forgot to ask before, how do we prepare for this?

Read the book "Foundation License NOW!" by G0HIQ. I'm going to put my
copy in the library. No need to buy your own copy, it takes an hour or
two to read it cover to cover. Amateur Radio Explained by G3YWX is
recommended reading too.

> On 22 July 2011 14:53, M <a.turn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for adding us to the list Mark, appreciated :)

+1 to this, thanks!

signature.asc

Mark Stanhope

Jul 24, 2011, 10:57:42 AM7/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Mark Stanhope
I am studying for my intermediate and will be along for the 10th to provide support.. Also will bring a radio for the practical elements...(if required)...

Mark

Kal

Aug 7, 2011, 7:18:29 AM8/7/11
to London Hackspace
So what is the latest update on this?

I was told sometime in september? Early september I hope :)

On Jul 18, 6:41 pm, Charles Yarnold <charlesyarn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> too me!
>
> On 18 July 2011 16:50, Anish <anish.moham...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > ** Me too :)
>
> > Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
> > ------------------------------
> > *From: * Mark Steward <markstew...@gmail.com>
> > *Sender: * london-h...@googlegroups.com
> > *Date: *Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:46:31 +0100
> > *Subject: *Re: [london-hack-space] Amateur Radio Foundation Course
>
> > Crap, guess I'd better METOO as well.
>
> > Mark
>
> > On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >> The dates for the Foundation course will be September 10th and 17th.
> >> The cost will be £32.50, of which £27.50 is the exam fee.
>
> >> The people who have already responded to this thread will have
> >> priority when I open bookings.
>
> >> We're going to try and get as many people as possible on this course,
> >> and this may involve having two exam sessions as we're limited by the
> >> seating requirements for exams.
>
> >> --
> >> Russ Garrett
> >> r...@garrett.co.uk

Russ Garrett

Aug 7, 2011, 9:03:38 AM8/7/11
On 7 August 2011 12:18, Kal <lamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So what is the latest update on this?
>
> I was told sometime in september? Early september I hope :)

10th and 17th - it's in the calendar. The only thing that I'm waiting
for is to try and work out how many people we can fit in the quiet
room for the exam.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Darren McDonald

Aug 17, 2011, 1:34:42 PM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hows this coming along? Do we need to book/part with money yet?

Darren McDonald

Aug 17, 2011, 1:40:28 PM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Just realised I'm out of the country now on the 17th. :( Count me out.
Wiki page has been updated. Will do lock picking on the 10th instead.

Hakron

Apr 18, 2012, 1:02:21 PM4/18/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'd like to take my amateur radio License, what are the options for doing this at the London Hackspace?

Best Regards

Richard

Russ Garrett

Apr 18, 2012, 1:07:23 PM4/18/12
On 18 April 2012 18:02, Hakron <hack...@spox.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd like to take my amateur radio License, what are the options for doing
> this at the London Hackspace?

We are again in a situation where we have no instructors available.
When this situation changes, we'll announce another Foundation course,
but I suspect this will be heavily subscribed.

Alec Wright

Apr 18, 2012, 1:41:39 PM4/18/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd be happy to instruct, although I don't know if I really have the
necessary expertise.

-
Alec M0TEI