Looking for help parking my van near Hackspace/London Occupy sites

26 views
Skip to first unread message

atom

unread,
Nov 20, 2011, 5:18:32 PM11/20/11
to London Hackspace
Hi!

I visited hackspace for the first time today - was so excited to see
the place! Got so many projects running through my head!

anyways, I am posting this message to ask for the advice/help of
people local to the hackspace area.

In around two weeks, I am planning to move up to London, to get much
more involved in HS/OccupyLondon, and with myself i'm going to be
bringing my van, which is kitted out as a camper inside. This place is
my home, and i'd way rather sleep in the bed in my van that sleep in a
tent at occupyLSX over winter.

The main issue i have (as you can imagine with london) is parking. I
have a friend who lives in lambeth that I can park there (as a fall
back) but ideally i would like to park my van very near hackspace/
occupyUBS/occupyFinsburySquare.

My requirements for parking are - outside the congestion zone, free
parking, and not the dodgiest/busiest road in the world.

Does anybody know of any areas that fit the bill, or could suggest any
places to look into? I could really do with parking up close to HS/
Occupy, so i don't have to spend a bunch of money coming in on the bus
everyday, or cycling for ages to get to the places I need to get to.

Thanks in advance for any help

atom
ollie

atom

unread,
Nov 21, 2011, 1:02:34 PM11/21/11
to London Hackspace

atom

unread,
Nov 25, 2011, 11:11:36 AM11/25/11
to London Hackspace
Hi

Can anybody help withj this or offer any advice? I'm really struggling

Also, if people are interested, I could provide advice/workshops on
how to renovate a van to a house standard

ollie

On Nov 21, 6:02 pm, atom <theatomi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 20, 10:18 pm, atom <theatomi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Hi!
>
> > I visited hackspace for the first time today - was so excited to see
> > the place! Got so many projects running through my head!
>
> > anyways, I am posting this message to ask for the advice/help of
> > people local to the hackspace area.
>
> > In around two weeks, I am planning to move up to London, to get much
> > more involved in HS/OccupyLondon, and with myself i'm going to be

> > bringing myvan, which is kitted out as a camper inside. This place is
> > my home, and i'd way rather sleep in the bed in myvanthat sleep in a


> > tent at occupyLSX over winter.
>
> > The main issue i have (as you can imagine with london) is parking. I
> > have a friend who lives in lambeth that I can park there (as a fall

> > back) but ideally i would like to park myvanvery near hackspace/


> > occupyUBS/occupyFinsburySquare.
>
> > My requirements for parking are - outside the congestion zone, free
> > parking, and not the dodgiest/busiest road in the world.
>
> > Does anybody know of any areas that fit the bill, or could suggest any
> > places to look into? I could really do with parking up close to HS/
> > Occupy, so i don't have to spend a bunch of money coming in on the bus
> > everyday, or cycling for ages to get to the places I need to get to.
>
> > Thanks in advance for any help
>
> > atom

> > ollie- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Sam Cook

unread,
Nov 25, 2011, 11:37:54 AM11/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi ollie, 

This site[1] may help, the Hackney council site should help[2] there is also some information on the 'getting there' page[3]. Whilst we do have 3 (in theory) parking permits for the business centre you'll want to check on here first to see whether people are ok with one being used long term (I'm guessing not as there are a reasonable number of people who drive in). 

In general I dont think there are any/many places that are free parking in London in general, and those that do exist often have a maximum stay associated with them. 

S


atom

unread,
Nov 25, 2011, 11:56:27 AM11/25/11
to London Hackspace
Hi sam

thanks for the reply.

I figured as much with parking in hackney/london :(

The nearest i've found is lambeth, which will require a 45 min cycle
to get to where i need everyday.

I think the only thing i can do is have a scout on foot this weekend.
If anybody can think of a strategy for me though, it'd be massive
appreciated.

I don't plan on using the HS parking spot long term. I believe that
would def be taking the mick if i pitch up in one of the three
designated spaces long term. I'm going to ask permission to be there
for 2 days or so, in order to work between my van/the HS workshop to
get my wifi/CB radio mast setup working.

Ollie

On Nov 25, 4:37 pm, Sam Cook <sam.lindenrat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ollie,
>
> This site <http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/free/london_hoxton/parking/>[1] may


> help, the Hackney council site should

> help<http://www.hackney.gov.uk/ek-permits-474.htm>[2]


> there is also some information on the 'getting there'

> page<http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Laboratory_24/Getting_There>[3].


> Whilst we do have 3 (in theory) parking permits for the business centre
> you'll want to check on here first to see whether people are ok with one
> being used long term (I'm guessing not as there are a reasonable number of
> people who drive in).
>
> In general I dont think there are any/many places that are free parking in
> London in general, and those that do exist often have a maximum stay
> associated with them.
>
> S
>
> [1]http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/free/london_hoxton/parking/
> [2]http://www.hackney.gov.uk/ek-permits-474.htm
> [3]http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Laboratory_24/Getting_There
>

> > > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -

Sam Cook

unread,
Nov 25, 2011, 12:09:53 PM11/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think 2 days should be ok, you might want to email russss to check that there's nothing in the lease about it but I doubt there is. 

As for going in foot I think the main thing to check for is being sure you understand the different zone rules and things as I doubt their consistant. 

S

Martin Klang

unread,
Nov 25, 2011, 12:14:26 PM11/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

it used to be that you could find unmetered parking around Powerscroft rd in Homerton / Clapton, but that may have changed.
Perhaps the back road around Finsbury Park still lets you park up on weekdays, not sure about that either.
You're probably better off connecting with the london squat scene, via occupy, and find a place to park that way.

/m

Tim Storey

unread,
Nov 25, 2011, 12:17:06 PM11/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
you might get lucky in Stoke Newington or Hackney. In terms of Hackney
round Victoria Park there used to be free parking on Groombridge road.
Forget Hoxton/Shoreditch though.

Having had several vans in this town be aware of this, if you leave it
in the same place for a few weeks ( i.e the road ) without moving around
the chances of it being broken into/stolen increase almost
exponentially there are a lot of gangs around who steal them to order or
for scrap and they keep a look out for stationary vehicles... also as
Sam says be on a sharp lookout for the zones, they change seemingly at
random.

\t


On 25/11/2011 17:09, Sam Cook wrote:
> I think 2 days should be ok, you might want to email russss to check
> that there's nothing in the lease about it but I doubt there is.
>
> As for going in foot I think the main thing to check for is being sure
> you understand the different zone rules and things as I doubt their
> consistant.
>
> S
>
> On 25 November 2011 16:56, atom <ollie.t...@googlemail.com

> <mailto:ollie.t...@googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi sam
>
> thanks for the reply.
>
> I figured as much with parking in hackney/london :(
>
> The nearest i've found is lambeth, which will require a 45 min cycle
> to get to where i need everyday.
>
> I think the only thing i can do is have a scout on foot this weekend.
> If anybody can think of a strategy for me though, it'd be massive
> appreciated.
>
> I don't plan on using the HS parking spot long term. I believe that
> would def be taking the mick if i pitch up in one of the three
> designated spaces long term. I'm going to ask permission to be there
> for 2 days or so, in order to work between my van/the HS workshop to
> get my wifi/CB radio mast setup working.
>
> Ollie
>
> On Nov 25, 4:37 pm, Sam Cook <sam.lindenrat...@gmail.com

> <mailto:sam.lindenrat...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > Hi ollie,
> >
> > This site
> <http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/free/london_hoxton/parking/>[1] may
> > help, the Hackney council site should
> > help<http://www.hackney.gov.uk/ek-permits-474.htm>[2]
> > there is also some information on the 'getting there'
> >
> page<http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Laboratory_24/Getting_There>[3].
> > Whilst we do have 3 (in theory) parking permits for the business
> centre
> > you'll want to check on here first to see whether people are ok
> with one
> > being used long term (I'm guessing not as there are a reasonable
> number of
> > people who drive in).
> >
> > In general I dont think there are any/many places that are free
> parking in
> > London in general, and those that do exist often have a maximum stay
> > associated with them.
> >
> > S
> >
> > [1]http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/free/london_hoxton/parking/
> > [2]http://www.hackney.gov.uk/ek-permits-474.htm
> >
> [3]http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Laboratory_24/Getting_There
> >
> > On 25 November 2011 16:11, atom <ollie.t.tay...@googlemail.com

> <mailto:ollie.t.tay...@googlemail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > > Hi
> >
> > > Can anybody help withj this or offer any advice? I'm really
> struggling
> >
> > > Also, if people are interested, I could provide advice/workshops on
> > > how to renovate a van to a house standard
> >
> > > ollie
> >
> > > On Nov 21, 6:02 pm, atom <theatomi...@gmail.com

> <mailto:theatomi...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > > > On Nov 20, 10:18 pm, atom <theatomi...@gmail.com

Mark Steward

unread,
Nov 25, 2011, 12:17:53 PM11/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We discussed this the other day on the directors channel, when it turned out that one of our neighbours has been regularly sending a colleague to pick up our permits and lend them to their visitors.  We don't think this is in the spirit of providing the parking spaces, and plan to make it clear on the permits that they're only for use when you're actively working in the space.

Of course, how pedantically to read that is a grey area: I imagine nipping to Tesco before you go home would be fine; popping down the pub to be the designated driver after a day of hacking would OK as long as nobody else needed the space.  However, I'm not sure about sleeping overnight or splitting time between Sun St and the space...


Mark

M

unread,
Nov 25, 2011, 1:18:49 PM11/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
After the hassle caused by lack of permits, people being fined
regularly etc. It's probably quite wise to be cautious.

--
>
++++++++++[>+>+++>++
+++++>++++++++++<<<<
-]>>>+++++++.>++++++
+++++.+++..---------
.++++++++++.<<+++.<.

Adrian Godwin

unread,
Nov 25, 2011, 1:27:41 PM11/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 6:18 PM, M <a.turn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After the hassle caused by lack of permits, people being fined
> regularly etc. It's probably quite wise to be cautious.
>

As the lucky recipient of such a fine, I agree, and await the
completion of this bill with interest.

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2010-11/protectionoffreedoms.html

-adrian

atom

unread,
Nov 25, 2011, 5:54:28 PM11/25/11
to London Hackspace
thanks for the replies guys/girls/humans

tim - thanks for the info. Im aware that vans are pretty prime targets
for theft - hopefully the combinations of hasp locks on every door,
ply covering every window when not in use, leaving my battery fully
disconnected, a steering wheel lock, and a really loud alarm will
deter even the best theives. Also, at night, i will be sleeping in it,
and considering the only real entrance point they would have is the
windscreen/angle grinding through a side panel, i'm pretty safe i
think.

Just to clarify mark - i'm not going to plan to sleep in my van while
in the hackspace car park. ill only be using the space in with my van
whilst i am using the workshop to fabricate bits for my van, and then
walking them out to the van in order to fit them, and so on. If it
gets clear that other people are needing the space while I am working
on it, I will move the van somewhere else and then come back when it
is much quieter. The last thing i want to do is annoy members,
considering i am new to HS and respect what you guys have going on
alot.

I'll look into the finsbury park area, might be a possibility. I'll
also get the info about sun st and their parking situation. i think it
might be a case of mapping 3-4 different free spots to park in, and
moving between them every 2-3 days, in order to not draw attention to
the van, and also not annoy local residents by using up a space all
the time.

thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it

ollie

On Nov 25, 1:27 pm, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

unread,
Nov 26, 2011, 12:16:31 AM11/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The parking spaces are for members/visitors while they are on the
premises. Use as a free storage facility or a mobile home park should be
discouraged. There are plenty of commercial off-street carparks nearby.

Phil


--
" et cognoscetis veritatem et veritas liberabit vos. "

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages