Landlord warning about balcony

marc - HackTheMedia

Oct 18, 2011, 10:15:01 AM10/18/11
to London Hackspace
A representative of the landlord just dropped by to say (in a very
aggressive tone) that we had to clear all the stuff on the back
balcony (the one on the side of the laser printer), meaning the bikes
and wheel and other things.

He said it's related to fire safety measures and safety inspection and
has to be removed by this Friday.

We asked him to put it in writing but can someone get in touch with
the landlord and find out wha'ts going on exactly?

Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale

Oct 18, 2011, 10:19:50 AM10/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

On 18 okt 2011, at 15:15, marc - HackTheMedia wrote:

> A representative of the landlord just dropped by to say (in a very
> aggressive tone) that we had to clear all the stuff on the back
> balcony (the one on the side of the laser printer), meaning the bikes
> and wheel and other things.

I always find that aggression inspires people to do things for you quickly and with a minimum of fuss.

Wait, no. The opposite of that.

> He said it's related to fire safety measures and safety inspection and
> has to be removed by this Friday.

If that's the side with the algae bottles hanging on the fence (I think it is) then the biohackers will remove them tomorrow, i.e. Wednesday.

Nicholas

Darren McDonald

Oct 18, 2011, 10:21:40 AM10/18/11
On 18 October 2011 15:15, marc - HackTheMedia <marc....@gmail.com> wrote:
> He said it's related to fire safety measures and safety inspection and
> has to be removed by this Friday.

Surely any fire safety concerns are mitigated by rule 0?

Mark Steward

Oct 18, 2011, 10:22:54 AM10/18/11
On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 3:15 PM, marc - HackTheMedia <marc....@gmail.com> wrote:
A representative of the landlord just dropped by to say (in a very
aggressive tone) that we had to clear all the stuff on the back
balcony (the one on the side of the laser printer), meaning the bikes
and wheel and other things.

I think the satellite dish has outstayed its welcome.  I'll skip that tonight.

Mark

Mark Steward

Oct 18, 2011, 10:23:56 AM10/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Wait, do you mean laser *cutter*?

Russ Garrett

Oct 18, 2011, 10:25:27 AM10/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Probably worth clearing both to be safe. It is a condition of our
lease that we are not allowed to put *anything* on the balcony without
the landlord's permission.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

marc - HackTheMedia

Oct 18, 2011, 10:39:39 AM10/18/11
to London Hackspace
The representative meant the balcony on the laser cutting side (not
laser printer sorry) yes. We'll mention it tonight during the social
event
to make sure people are aware of this warning and have time to remove
their stuff if they want to,

On Oct 18, 3:25 pm, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> On 18 October 2011 15:23, Mark Steward <markstew...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Mark Steward <markstew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I think the satellite dish has outstayed its welcome.  I'll skip that
> >> tonight.
>
> > Wait, do you mean laser *cutter*?
>
> Probably worth clearing both to be safe. It is a condition of our
> lease that we are not allowed to put *anything* on the balcony without
> the landlord's permission.
>
> --
> Russ Garrett
> r...@garrett.co.uk

Tweaker

Oct 18, 2011, 10:54:24 AM10/18/11
to London Hackspace
Hi,
I read that the occupiers outside St Pauls where asking for a
satellite dish with no electrical stuff working on it.
Perhaps the dish could go to them?
Or tell them there is one for disposal,if they come and get it?
I think they may try to make a solar cooker out of it?
Which I endorse,just tape shiny aluminium foil,tape onto it,or if want
to be more posh,mylar!
Let us cook the lentils on dishes,Hippies and Hackers working together
to feed the masses.Win-win!

Oct 18, 2011, 10:55:31 AM10/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Any extra hands needed ?

--

++++++++++[>+>+++>++
+++++>++++++++++<<<<
-]>>>+++++++.>++++++
+++++.+++..---------
.++++++++++.<<+++.<.

Mark Steward

Oct 18, 2011, 10:56:11 AM10/18/11
On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Tweaker <mon...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I read that the occupiers outside St Pauls where asking for a
satellite dish with no electrical stuff working on it.
Perhaps the dish could go to them?
Or tell them there is one for disposal,if they come and get it?
I think they may try to make a solar cooker out of it?
Which I endorse,just tape shiny aluminium foil,tape onto it,or if want
to be more posh,mylar!
Let us cook the lentils on dishes,Hippies and Hackers working together
to feed the masses.Win-win!

Feel free. I'm junking it if it's still there when I arrive tonight.

Mark

Billy

Oct 18, 2011, 11:33:58 AM10/18/11
to London Hackspace

Does this mean that I have to remove the wind turbines? :(

What about the radio aerials, and the barbecue platform?

Does this also mean we can't put the Hackspace banner back up?

Adrian Godwin

Oct 18, 2011, 11:37:23 AM10/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We certainly ought to remove all the free-standing stuff that would be
a hazard to the fire exit. If we do that promptly they might not worry
too much about the stuff that's safely fixed to the railings.

-adrian

Russ Garrett

Oct 18, 2011, 11:55:30 AM10/18/11
On 18 October 2011 16:37, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We certainly ought to remove all the free-standing stuff that would be
> a hazard to the fire exit. If we do that promptly they might not worry
> too much about the stuff that's safely fixed to the railings.

Yes, we should do this. If they are complaining about fire safety they
should be fine with us simply removing everything which could be
considered to be obstructing the exit.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Philippe Bradley

Oct 18, 2011, 11:56:11 AM10/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
as for the algae bottles: we considered putting these on the outside of the railings, but they would hang over people passing by below, which isn't necessarily a good idea.

they have to come inside at some point anyhow, with winter approaching.

Tweaker

Oct 18, 2011, 12:40:34 PM10/18/11
to London Hackspace

Hi,I have just notified the Occupy people about the Satellite dish.
If we could give them some grace time,and see if they are able to come
and pick it up,that would be fine.If not let it go after 24hrs.

With best of Intent,

On Oct 18, 4:56 pm, Philippe Bradley <philbrad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> as for the algae bottles: we considered putting these on the outside of the
> railings, but they would hang over people passing by below, which isn't
> necessarily a good idea.
>
> they have to come inside at some point anyhow, with winter approaching.

Adrian Godwin

Oct 18, 2011, 1:10:12 PM10/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If anybody feels they should remove the barbecue shelf that's fine
with me - it was set up long ago, when we didn't have a kitchen area
and is of little use now.

The clamps belong to Solexious and should be kept for him unless he
doesn't want them

The tray was mine, I don't care what happens to it. It might be useful
as an oil tray (it was originally under a lathe) or it can go in the
skip. If in doubt put it under the lathe that's being restored (do we
still have that ?), it could be useful there.

-adrian

Billy

Oct 18, 2011, 1:35:11 PM10/18/11
to London Hackspace

I can trailer the satellite dish over if they want?

St. Paul's isn't far...

On Oct 18, 6:10 pm, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If anybody feels they should remove the barbecue shelf that's fine
> with me - it was set up long ago, when we didn't have a kitchen area
> and is of little use now.
>
> The clamps belong to Solexious and should be kept for him unless he
> doesn't want them
>
> The tray was mine, I don't care what happens to it. It might be useful
> as an oil tray (it was originally under a lathe) or it can go in the
> skip. If in doubt put it under the lathe that's being restored (do we
> still have that ?), it could be useful there.
>
> -adrian

Billy

Oct 18, 2011, 1:53:58 PM10/18/11
to London Hackspace

I've cleared the balcony of almost all the loose stuff.

The bio-hacker's experiments are still there, and there is one
unidentified bike.

Everything else is stuff that is fastened to the rail. The wind
turbines, the aerials, and the barbecue shelf.

We've padlocked a chain to the railing on the front balcony, so you
can lock bikes there.

Is there any way of contacting the landlord to see if the things that
are left are ok?

Russ Garrett

Oct 18, 2011, 2:36:19 PM10/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Let's assume that's fine. If they have a problem then give them my number. The higher-ups are quite nice, so I'm sure they'll be understanding if it comes to that.

Martin Klang

Oct 18, 2011, 7:18:58 PM10/18/11

On 18 Oct 2011, at 19:36, Russ Garrett wrote:

> The higher-ups are quite nice, so I'm sure they'll be understanding if it comes to that.

the higher-ups are lovely.

/m