Sleeping in the space

Mark Steward

Apr 23, 2011, 9:39:52 AM4/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
So a few of the complaints with the cameras were due to people expecting a high degree of privacy within the space.  In particular, people don't want to be filmed while asleep, because it would be like filming their bedroom.

I think the conflating of bedroom and space is problematic.  It creates a sense of privilege over the space, it leads to dorm-style antics, and unlike a hostel or campsite, people don't expect to clear themselves out in the morning.  The space should be thought of as more like an office.  If you happened to work late and fell asleep at your desk or on a comfy chair, you'd expect to wake up as soon as any of your colleagues arrived, and clean up around you where the cleaners missed.

We've always said that sleeping in the space should be exceptional.  If you missed your last train, or decided to work late and suddenly find yourself unable to drive home, crashing in the space is fine.  I've done this myself a couple of times.  However, I've recently seen people turn up late at the space, expecting to get a decent sleep before the next day.

I've also seen synchronised sleeping, where everyone beds down and turns off the lights.  Slumber parties are great, but if this happens, it's not only crucial to check with everyone present that they aren't expecting to get any work done, but also to be ready to check with anyone new who arrives at the space.  I don't honestly think this is sustainable, as the window of opportunity is usually shorter than the minimum amount to not feel worse when waking up, and decreasing.

People should certainly be able to turn off the cameras if they want to (as long as they mentioned it on the list or IRC), but they should remember that the facilities are available for use 24/7.  If the current pattern continues, where cameras are turned off every night, and then not turned on in the morning, I think sleeping will rapidly outstay its welcome.

Is it worth having a wiki page on this?

Mark

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 23, 2011, 11:56:47 AM4/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The answer to this one is fairly simple....

The space is primarily a place of work, it is not an hotel.

As one who quite regularly works here all night and then catches a few
hours before going to work I am very aware that being able to do so is a
bonus and not an expectation. If it were not possible at all then I would
be unable to attend more than once a week or perhaps less. I too have seen
members turn up, and expect to get a nights sleep, even to the extent of
complaining that noise was being made!!! The answer that they got was very
short!!!

There should be no question of "checking with others" whether they want to
work, work is the purpose of the space, the majority of members expect and
require to be able to get on with their projects regardless of the hour of
day or the noise they make. While I would not deliberately wake people up
for no reason, if this happens as a byproduct of legitimate use of the
space then sadly the sleeper must suffer.

As for the camera issue, this has been flogged to death and beyond.
Personally, I don`t care whether they are there or not and the "I don`t
want to be filmed while I am asleep" argument is completely bogus, if you
want to sleep in private then do it elsewhere...

Phil

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 14:39:52 +0100, Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com>

Russ Garrett

Apr 23, 2011, 12:19:41 PM4/23/11
On 23 April 2011 14:39, Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [large treatise on sleeping in the space]

IMO, there is no discussion here (certainly not enough to warrant a
thread full of multi-paragraph replies ;). This is a pretty
well-accepted view:

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/The_Roommate_Anti-Pattern

Phil and Mark have summarised it well. Our point of view has always
been clear, but perhaps people just need reminding. I suppose we
should probably condense it into a rule.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Tim Matthews

Apr 24, 2011, 2:37:44 AM4/24/11
to London Hackspace

Noisebridge has had much [drama] regarding sleeping at their space
(they have somewhat more space than we do) and they came to the
following conclusion:

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Sleeping_at_Noisebridge

We should profit from their experience.

I would say that sleeping should be tolerated but those who sleep
should keep in mind that the Hackspace isn't a hostel.

t.