looking for London Hackspace member who worked on drilling rig power supply

Colin Rowat

Oct 31, 2022, 3:39:54 AM10/31/22
to London Hackspace
I'm looking for a LHS member who worked on power supply to North Sea drilling rigs.

At a Christmas part about a decade ago (?), you told me about controlling drill heads by compression waves through the slurry.

This conversation comes back to mind because I'm casually wondering if it would be feasible to assess how well tightened bolts in a metal tower were by hitting one leg, and recording vibration in other legs.

Very happy for others to jump in too!

Thanks,

Colin

Nigel Worsley

Oct 31, 2022, 6:15:22 AM10/31/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 at 07:39, Colin Rowat <c.r...@espero.org.uk> wrote:
> I'm looking for a LHS member who worked on power supply to North Sea drilling rigs.
That sounds like me.

> At a Christmas part about a decade ago (?), you told me about controlling drill heads by compression waves through the slurry.
Mud pulse telemetry, it is fairly slow ( a few bits per second) so
pressure variations would be a more accurate description.

> This conversation comes back to mind because I'm casually wondering if it would be feasible to assess how well tightened bolts in a metal tower were by hitting one leg, and recording vibration in other legs.
Not my field, but I suspect that if this was possible it would only
detect fully loosened bolts.

Nigle

Colin Rowat

Nov 1, 2022, 8:41:46 AM11/1/22
to London Hackspace
Thanks Nigle - what a nice surprise!  That was one of the most surprising exchanges I've had - and a lovely event in general.

I'm asking bridge engineers too.  I'd _like_ to think that sufficiently sensitive instruments could map the structure fairly precisely, but only have vague grounds for this sort of intuition.

Hoping you're well,

Colin

Dirk-Willem van Gulik

Nov 1, 2022, 9:31:51 AM11/1/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

> On 1 Nov 2022, at 13:41, Colin Rowat <c.r...@espero.org.uk> wrote:
>
> Thanks Nigle - what a nice surprise! That was one of the most surprising exchanges I've had - and a lovely event in general.
>
> I'm asking bridge engineers too. I'd _like_ to think that sufficiently sensitive instruments could map the structure fairly precisely, but only have vague grounds for this sort of intuition.

There is quite an industry into that

https://www.structuremag.org/?p=18776

https://www.movesolutions.it

or in a more reactive way - e.g. monitor the sound caused by the change (e.g. a bridge opening)

https://fse.studenttheses.ub.rug.nl/25069/1/mME_2021_SchuurI.pdf

Try the "Structural Health Monitoring" keyword in a search and you get lots of

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/267225017_Vibration_monitoring_of_bridges

Dw.

Colin Rowat

Nov 1, 2022, 7:29:39 PM11/1/22
to London Hackspace
Very cool - dank je wel Dirk!  I'm chasing up with these now.  Best, Colin