3-in-1 status report

spooq

Aug 23, 2011, 9:28:40 AM8/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

you might have noticed the guts of the 3-in-1 have been hanging out
for a little while. Abby and I have been poking it, trying to figure
out why the lathe motor has been making a nasty noise. We're concerned
this motor will follow in the footsteps of the previous one, and burn
out. We got to do a bit more trouble-shooting today, and we found that
wiring the mill direction control to the lathe motor stops it from
making the noise. We didn't have time to test the opposite
configuration, i.e. lathe direction control on mill motor, however
this would point towards the wiring or control panel, rather than the
motor itself, being the problem.

We still have a couple more test steps to get through before I call
Chester again. I have been in contact with them regularly over the
last week, so we are working with them on getting things fixed.

If there are any electrical engineers who would like to help, please
send me or Abby an email.

Thanks for being patient everyone, I know there are a lot of people
who want to use this machine, myself definitely included.

Cheers,
Luke

Sam Cook

Aug 23, 2011, 9:36:17 AM8/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks to you and Abby for working on this!

Nigel Worsley

Aug 23, 2011, 10:07:22 AM8/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> we found that
> wiring the mill direction control to the lathe motor stops it from
> making the noise.

Sounds like the capacitor has died.

> We didn't have time to test the opposite
> configuration, i.e. lathe direction control on mill motor

Don't, you will end up burning out another motor!

> If there are any electrical engineers who would like to help

I can't get to the space before the weekend, if it isn't sorted by then I
will have a look at it. The day job includes
servicing and repair of big (1 megawatt plus) motor controllers, a tiddler
like this shouldn't be a problem!

Nigle

spooq

Aug 23, 2011, 10:56:14 AM8/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning on coming in on Sunday, would you like to look at it then?

Luke

spooq

Aug 24, 2011, 11:46:21 AM8/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Make that Monday...

Monty

Aug 24, 2011, 12:14:13 PM8/24/11
to London Hackspace
I've added this to the Log Book which appears to have been neglected
for a while. http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Equipment/LatheMillCombo/Logbook

spooq

Aug 28, 2011, 7:12:35 PM8/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Nigel, are you going to be able to make it to the space? I will come
in Monday if you are there.

Luke

Nigel Worsley

Aug 28, 2011, 8:19:34 PM8/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Nigel, are you going to be able to make it to the space? I will come
> in Monday if you are there.

No, I was there this afternoon though. I couldn't get very far with testing as I had forgotten that a key was needed to power
up the machine and when I asked on IRC if one was hidden in the space the tumbleweed wasn't forthcoming.

The reversing switch seems to be fine, between that and the motor is a box that the key lock connects to which I suspect is
where the problem lies. There is a diagram on the motor that shows the connections, two terminals are connected to live
and neutral respectively regardless of direction and the other two are one live and the other neutral, with this being swapped
to change direction. None of these wires connect through to the motor, presumably due to the key lock being off.

I suspect that one of the connections is faulty in the box that the key lock feeds in to, but couldn't check this without the key

Nigle